OT Kidney Stones | Page 2 | The Boneyard

OT Kidney Stones

Reaction Score
I worked with a guy that that passed stones all the time. He showed me a little vial and said, "This one's my favorite." It looked like a tiny ninja throwing star. It hurt to look at that thing.

Dude...

They look like sadistic boat anchors or grappling hooks.

KIDNEY STONES

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
How does one make sure this never happens?
Drink plenty of beer. That's the answer I received when I wondered out loud at the local watering hole why I never got a stone while my father did.

Reaction Score
I am currently waiting for the Kidney Stone Center to call me. I have a 9mm kidney stone which I am told I would not be able to pass.

temery

What?
Reaction Score
Don't worry, this time I went to the ER first. Some CT scans revealed kidney stones and I'm just wondering if anyone else here has dealt with them and what level of misery I'm in for when they pass.

Drink water. Three+ liters a day.

Personally, "passing" the stones is no big deal. The excruciating pain is when the stone(s) are in the kidney and ureter. A stone smaller than a bb feels like a pumpkin wrapped in razor wire.

Save the stone(s) and bring them to your doctor. If you're lucky, they'll be uric acid stones - there are medications that'll lower blood uric acid levels. If the stone(s) is uric acid, it may help to drink lemonade instead of water - the potassium citrate in the lemonade supposedly helps dissolve the stones. Make it diet lemonade if weight is a problem.

Reaction Score
I've had three episodes with kidney stones and it is the worst pain you can have. But when in ER the morphine shot worked great-wanted to laugh the relief was so great. Peeing it out from the bladder is painless though-you might not even feel it. It's route to the bladder is where the pain is and last time mine got stuck for several agonizing days. Not all hospitals have the stone busting machines too.

Reaction Score
The passing of the kidney stone is pretty much painless. However as the kidney stone travels from the kidney down to the bladder through the small ureters is about as painful as you could imagine. Think this!!!

why? Just why?

Reaction Score
These sound horrible. How can I prevent this from every happening to me?

I could google it or ask my doctor, but I prefer asking you guys.

Reaction Score
These sound horrible. How can I prevent this from every happening to me?

I could google it or ask my doctor, but I prefer asking you guys.

Yeah...yeah...that sounds like a great idea.... your odds of getting an amusing answer here are much better than from your doctor. You are a true team player, much appreciated.

Reaction Score
Mine was 5mm.

It was uncomfortable, then went the hospital and they gave me an IV of something and lots of fluids and i pissed it rigjt out. - we’ll in a couple of hours.

Not eager to do it again.

Reaction Score
Yes, they are awful. Have them prescribe you Flomax, take one and drink a few beers. That helped me pass mine very quickly.

RichZ

Fort the ead!
Reaction Score
Don't worry, this time I went to the ER first. Some CT scans revealed kidney stones and I'm just wondering if anyone else here has dealt with them and what level of misery I'm in for when they pass.
I have had them 3 times, but the last time was about 40 years ago.
I've had a couple heart attacks. Kidney stones were worse.
I've had gangrene of the scrotum. Kidney Stones were worse.

Passing them - as in pissing them out - is nothing but relief. It getting them from the kidney to the bladder that kills you.

My wife has had them twice in recent years. She said it was far worse than childbirth. Both times, she had to get lithotripsy to break up the stone.

formerlurker

www.stjude.org
Reaction Score
I have had them 3 times, but the last time was about 40 years ago.
I've had a couple heart attacks. Kidney stones were worse.
I've had gangrene of the scrotum. Kidney Stones were worse.

Passing them - as in pissing them out - is nothing but relief. It getting them from the kidney to the bladder that kills you.

My wife has had them twice in recent years. She said it was far worse than childbirth. Both times, she had to get lithotripsy to break up the stone.

I can't explain the respect I have for you for fighting through all of that, Rich. But you can't just casually drop in gangrene of the scrotum and not expect a call out.

WTF?

Richie-Zpack!

upload_2018-4-9_21-36-56.jpeg

Reaction Score
Calling BS on that. Had them 3 times -- all in that portion of my life when 3 to 4 times a week would have been a slow week. Passed them all, but not without great pain getting them from kidney to bladder.

Congrats on the sex

Reaction Score
Calling BS on that. Had them 3 times -- all in that portion of my life when 3 to 4 times a week would have been a slow week. Passed them all, but not without great pain getting them from kidney to bladder.

Playa

Dove

Part of the 2%, but 100% wood.
Reaction Score

Personally, "passing" the stones is no big deal. The excruciating pain is when the stone(s) are in the kidney and ureter. A stone smaller than a bb feels like a pumpkin wrapped in razor wire.

Save the stone(s) and bring them to your doctor. If you're lucky, they'll be uric acid stones - there are medications that'll lower blood uric acid levels. If the stone(s) is uric acid, it may help to drink lemonade instead of water - the potassium citrate in the lemonade supposedly helps dissolve the stones. Make it diet lemonade if weight is a problem.
How long is that journey from the kidney through the ureter?

temery

What?
Reaction Score
How long is that journey from the kidney through the ureter?

Distance, about a foot. Time? Hours if your lucky, but for me it's days.

joober jones

Finally Non-Fat Guy
Reaction Score

Stuck near the lower end of the ureter, according to the CT scan. The pain is George Mason level.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom