OT: Kevin McHale | Page 2 | The Boneyard

OT: Kevin McHale

Status
Not open for further replies.

RipCity

Absolute Savage
Reaction Score
yeah those warriors man, maybe they can play some 2-3 zone or full court press! b-o-r-i-n-g
One team. Then you have stats that don't care, other teams tanking, and selfish play. Thankfully teams like the Warriors, Spurs, and even Cerics are changing the way people think a bit.

Reaction Score
College basketball is so much more enjoyable it's not even close.

I suppose there's no accounting for taste but this is a pretty staggering comment to me. But the people who elevate the college game over the NBA rarely seem to actually watch the NBA. Your posts read like a bunch of NBA execs are watching the Warriors play and saying "oh, we should try ball movement and unselfish play for a few games!" It doesn't line up with the NBA that I see, which to me is far and away the most enjoyable brand of basketball you can find if, you know, you like good players playing well together.

RipCity

Absolute Savage
Reaction Score
I suppose there's no accounting for taste but this is a pretty staggering comment to me. But the people who elevate the college game over the NBA rarely seem to actually watch the NBA. Your posts read like a bunch of NBA execs are watching the Warriors play and saying "oh, we should try ball movement and unselfish play for a few games!" It doesn't line up with the NBA that I see, which to me is far and away the most enjoyable brand of basketball you can find if, you know, you like good players playing well together.
I watch almost every Celtics game and other good match ups, and I like the NBA. I guess that to me it seems like college players care more during the regular season. I definitely love NBA playoffs though. Maybe that's just me slowly conditioning myself to think this way over time though. Sorry, I do obviously see the discrepancy in talent and didn't mean the college game wasn't way more choppy.

Reaction Score
I watch almost every Celtics game and other good match ups, and I like the NBA. I guess that to me it seems like college players care more during the regular season. I definitely love NBA playoffs though. Maybe that's just me slowly conditioning myself to think this way over time though. Sorry, I do obviously see the discrepancy in talent and didn't mean the college game wasn't way more choppy.

I find the college game far more enjoyable, that said, I wouldn't be able to stomach sitting and watching 2 of the worst D1 teams face off, but its that caring that I think is different. I can't stand those college fans who sit and shout "THE NBA IS AWFUL THEY NEVER PLAY DEFENSE!!" because those people clearly haven't watched a game. Watching an NBA game exposes you to at least a dozen amazing athletic accomplishments that you just wont see as many of in a college game, but there's something that is missing. I think the past few years have seen that missing element diminish in the college game too, but its still there to a degree.

Even though the skill level is through the roof in the NBA, I think what I like more about college is that it is more relatable to actually playing live basketball. Personally the team pride and brotherhood you see in a lot of college teams reminds me of playing in my summer work league, guys want to succeed and win every possession, where in the NBA you get a lot of times where one team is dominating and the other appears content to let them get theirs for a few and try to strike back in the next quarter. In college every game counts, in the NBA if a team is being obliterated in the first half sometimes they just let it happen and begin focusing on the next one while they bench their starters

Different strokes for different folks, each league has its pros and cons I think

Reaction Score
Harden is the problem. You can tell by watching the rockets his teammate just don't like playing with him. He doesn't play defense and then it's a one man show on offense.

It's not fun just standing around watching a player go one on one the whole night while being inefficient jacking up shots and trying to draw fouls

Reaction Score
I find the college game far more enjoyable, that said, I wouldn't be able to stomach sitting and watching 2 of the worst D1 teams face off, but its that caring that I think is different. I can't stand those college fans who sit and shout "THE NBA IS AWFUL THEY NEVER PLAY DEFENSE!!" because those people clearly haven't watched a game. Watching an NBA game exposes you to at least a dozen amazing athletic accomplishments that you just wont see as many of in a college game, but there's something that is missing. I think the past few years have seen that missing element diminish in the college game too, but its still there to a degree.

Even though the skill level is through the roof in the NBA, I think what I like more about college is that it is more relatable to actually playing live basketball. Personally the team pride and brotherhood you see in a lot of college teams reminds me of playing in my summer work league, guys want to succeed and win every possession, where in the NBA you get a lot of times where one team is dominating and the other appears content to let them get theirs for a few and try to strike back in the next quarter. In college every game counts, in the NBA if a team is being obliterated in the first half sometimes they just let it happen and begin focusing on the next one while they bench their starters

Different strokes for different folks, each league has its pros and cons I think
Interesting point about relatable. I don't know about the relatable part for people in general, but I agree that college hoop fans are MUCH more likely to find the game relatable. Virtually anyone you meet that plays hoops follows college ball.

I think the emotion/caring of BOTH players and fans is the biggest difference. Yes NBA fans cheer and crowds can be loud, but it often pales in comparison to a good college crowd. And this comes thru the TV set. I'd definitely enjoy attending a random college rivalry game like say Duke-Carolina over last night's Clippers - Warriors. But unquestionably the pro's are vastly more skilled and that quality is reflected in ticket prices of NCAA vs NBA. Courtside NBA seats might cost 5 x what a courtside college seat costs.

I like both, I'm a basketball fan. Last year men's CBB quality really slipped and I watched more NBA games than college. Let's hope the quality of play improves and that flips back.

Reaction Score
Interesting point about relatable. I don't know about the relatable part for people in general, but I agree that college hoop fans are MUCH more likely to find the game relatable. Virtually anyone you meet that plays hoops follows college ball.

I think the emotion/caring of BOTH players and fans is the biggest difference. Yes NBA fans cheer and crowds can be loud, but it often pales in comparison to a good college crowd. And this comes thru the TV set. I'd definitely enjoy attending a random college rivalry game like say Duke-Carolina over last night's Clippers - Warriors. But unquestionably the pro's are vastly more skilled and that quality is reflected in ticket prices of NCAA vs NBA. Courtside NBA seats might cost 5 x what a courtside college seat costs.

I like both, I'm a basketball fan. Last year men's CBB quality really slipped and I watched more NBA games than college. Let's hope the quality of play improves and that flips back.

Yeah that's an interesting point you make about the crowds, I am relatively new to Boston, been to a few games each year, and I'm amazed at how the crowd is up for any game I've been to including against the Bobcats in the second half of the season. I think you get a lot more people in an NBA arena who are attending the game as an "event" like a family with 2 kids. They might not be die-hard fans of the team, but they're there to experience it, they have the food and the whole thing, maybe they have a lot of talking going on too. In college, I think there's more die-hard season ticket holders going to every game than you get at an NBA game where its almost like a comedy show crowd in that everyone paid good money to see a show and cheer and experience it.

Once again... they both have their pros and cons, but we can all definitely agree that the games, the atmosphere, its always different

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MTSuitsky

Top Bottom