OT: Kelly Faris is a lot of fun to watch | Page 2 | The Boneyard

OT: Kelly Faris is a lot of fun to watch

Status
Not open for further replies.

RichZ

Fort the ead!
Reaction Score
Farris plays with reckless abandon, yet never seems to be out of control.

Reaction Score
Kelly's post-game quote sounds exactly like something Kevin Ollie would say ...

"Rebounding is determination," Faris said. "Some depends on your size. But, really, it is about effort, determination and reading the way a ball is going to come off. If you want to get the ball, you're going to get the ball."

Reaction Score
Kelly Faris is a really good female college basketball player but has this board lost it's mind. People really think she is a combination of Nadav, Ricky Moore, Donny Marshall and Rashad? That sounds more like a description of a NBA all-star than a female college bball player.

Reaction Score
Kelly Faris is a really good female college basketball player but has this board lost it's mind. People really think she is a combination of Nadav, Ricky Moore, Donny Marshall and Rashad? That sounds more like a description of a NBA all-star than a female college bball player.
I'm pretty sure that people are comparing the SPIRIT with which she plays, not the skill level. Don't worry, your d*** is still bigger than hers.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
No people are using examples of UConn men's basketball players on a men's basketball board to describe her game. Did that help?

Reaction Score
No people are using examples of UConn men's basketball players on a men's basketball board to describe her game. Did that help?

Seriously. Some people try so hard to be offended.

High school recruits are compared to NBA people all the time ("plays like Jason Kidd", e.g.). Not because they could play in the NBA at age 16, but because it is a familiar point of reference.

Reaction Score
I don't usually watch a whole helluva a lot of the women's games, but I did manage to catch most of last night's matchup w/ Duke.
My goodness. That 2nd half was a clinic in defensive intensity.
Wow! Faris was as determined to play D as any player I've ever seen.

Reaction Score
Trust me I'm not offended at all and not sexist at all, I would also find it ridiculous if a male player was being called a Ricky Moore, Nadav, Donny Marshall and Rashad all rolled into one. It's just silly.

Reaction Score
I think the problem is it's really hard to describe Faris's game. In many ways, she's pretty much the perfect basketball player. But it's rare that people play like her.

She, IMO, is the best defensive player the Uconn women have ever had. She plays whatever position Geno tells her to play (although usually 2, 3, or 4..but she's played the 1 adequately and I've even seen Geno stick her at the 5) and unless the player is Britney Griner, she'll be defending the other team's best player.

She's the team's best passer. And she's had more steals than turnovers in every year she's been at Uconn. She's also likely Uconn's best rebounder. She's also Uconn's most athletic player.

And then there's the spirit/determination/competitiveness of Kelly Faris. As someone else said, Kelly Faris made an All American just give up last night. Duke stopped passing their All American point guard the ball because of Kelly's defense. And she's Uconn's smartest player.

Her only flaw as a player was always her scoring/shooting. But this year she's averaging double digits and her 3 point percentage is 45%.

That's why people are coming up with combinations of men's players. Because who plays like that?

I want to touch on the skills aspect. I wouldn't want to turn this into men vs. women, but some need to hold back a bit. A woman can be just as "skilled" at basketball as men. Skilled as in, ballhandling, shooting, footwork, passing...as well as anything having to do with a brain (basketball IQ, the ability to run an offense.)

The difference is the athleticism, size, and strength. Kaleena couldn't beat any of Uconn's greatest shooters, one on one. But that doesn't mean she's not the best shooter Uconn has ever had, male or female. You don't need a dick to be a great shooter. She's shooting 49% from 3 this season. And if you've seen her shot, you probably wouldn't scoff at the idea. I'm not saying she is...she's only half way through her sophomore year. But I'm saying it's not crazy. (I'd still take Ray in a shooting competition, though. )

Reaction Score
Trust me I'm not offended at all and not sexist at all, I would also find it ridiculous if a male player was being called a Ricky Moore, Nadav, Donny Marshall and Rashad all rolled into one. It's just silly.

I'd leave Rashad out - I don't think she's that type of marksman. She shoots a high percentage from three, but they are mostly open shots playing off other people.

But yeah - I have no problems defending my point that I think she combines the best traits of Nadav and the best traits of Ricky (for her level of competition). Neither of those guys were big-time scorers, either, but impacted games with defense, passing and hustle plays. As the previous poster said, an All-American PG just gave up last night. She stopped asking for the ball and when she got it, she dribbled off her leg out of bounds because she couldn't handle the pressure. I saw Ricky demoralize people like that. What was that Al McGuire line? "He puts an elephant in your head"? Maybe being a women's player, you could say Faris puts a pink elephant in your head (if the sexism judges will allow it).

And there are times she looks very Nadav-ish, where she sits in a zone press and seems to be in every passing lane, is one step ahead of everyone else on the floor, makes a hustle play and feeds someone for a lay-up. Or does something that makes you say "wow" that doesn't even involve scoring. There's a reason I said she's fun to watch on a day when I can't even remember most of her 18 points (other than one twisting layup).

If I said "combines Ray Allen and Nadav Henefeld", you'd have a point - then you're talking a Hall of Fame player, because you have someone who dominates in everything. I'm basically conceding that she isn't a scorer, she just has mastered all the other ways to beat you. Players like that are few and far between.

huskyharry

Hooyah
Reaction Score
Outstanding all around player. Her "motor" is always on and she provides great on-ball pressure defense, while very seldom gambling. totally unselfish and driven.

Reaction Score
I'm another person who doesn't watch the women's team much and not because the difference in play. There are simply too few games that are not competitive. After the top 3 or 4 teams there isnt a team that stands a chance of keeping it up with Uconn. Uconn is a destination for many of the best HS players in the country and we can thank Geno for that.
Concerning Kelly Faris, she is a pleasure to watch. The girl does not stop hustling on either end of the floor and her basketball IQ is outstanding. She is unselfish and is one of the best passers in the country.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I don't think anyone thinks you are offended. It is your reading comprehension that is being questioned.

Reaction Score
If I had to compare her to a men's player, maybe Scottie Pippen. Scottie was probably a better defensive player than he was an offensive player (he was pretty good on o as well) with elite athleticism. Relatively speaking at least in the women's college game, Faris is vastly underrated as an athlete and creates so many extra possessions for her team.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
I'm pretty sure that people are comparing the SPIRIT with which she plays, not the skill level. Don't worry, your d*** is still bigger than hers.
And so is his fragile ego.

Reaction Score
I don't agree with all of these comparisons to Faris so that has something to do with my dick and my ego, WTF is up with some of you guys.

Reaction Score
I think the problem is it's really hard to describe Faris's game. In many ways, she's pretty much the perfect basketball player. But it's rare that people play like her.

She, IMO, is the best defensive player the Uconn women have ever had. She plays whatever position Geno tells her to play (although usually 2, 3, or 4..but she's played the 1 adequately and I've even seen Geno stick her at the 5) and unless the player is Britney Griner, she'll be defending the other team's best player.

She's the team's best passer. And she's had more steals than turnovers in every year she's been at Uconn. She's also likely Uconn's best rebounder. She's also Uconn's most athletic player.

And then there's the spirit/determination/competitiveness of Kelly Faris. As someone else said, Kelly Faris made an All American just give up last night. Duke stopped passing their All American point guard the ball because of Kelly's defense. And she's Uconn's smartest player.

Her only flaw as a player was always her scoring/shooting. But this year she's averaging double digits and her 3 point percentage is 45%.

That's why people are coming up with combinations of men's players. Because who plays like that?

I want to touch on the skills aspect. I wouldn't want to turn this into men vs. women, but some need to hold back a bit. A woman can be just as "skilled" at basketball as men. Skilled as in, ballhandling, shooting, footwork, passing...as well as anything having to do with a brain (basketball IQ, the ability to run an offense.)

The difference is the athleticism, size, and strength. Kaleena couldn't beat any of Uconn's greatest shooters, one on one. But that doesn't mean she's not the best shooter Uconn has ever had, male or female. You don't need a dick to be a great shooter. She's shooting 49% from 3 this season. And if you've seen her shot, you probably wouldn't scoff at the idea. I'm not saying she is...she's only half way through her sophomore year. But I'm saying it's not crazy. (I'd still take Ray in a shooting competition, though. )

"perfect basketball player"?? C'mon she's a nice player but she has the half of her life and now she's perfect....please take it down a notch or 12......

And she's not the best passer, but a pretty good one. (throws really idiotic passes a lot honestly).........she is the best defender w/o a doubt.......she's the best box-out rebounder but not the best rebounder as she's 5'9 or whatever and Dolson is a better rebounder as is Stokes and Stewart.....she plays with the most passion no doubt too........

But to write this much on the mens board on a good all around women's basketball player is ridiculous sorry!!:rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Howler

Top Bottom