OT: Kawhi Leonard anyone remember him? | The Boneyard

OT: Kawhi Leonard anyone remember him?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I don't, maybe because I focus too much on our team against SDSU and Kemba was too bright to see anything else. But damn he's a gem. I like that the kid didn't wilt in the big game last night or the series for the most part. He played against a God, and didn't back down.

Game 1-2 I wasn't impressed, but as the series went forward he was a rock. Rarely do I rave about 21 year old players besides ours, but this kid is very likeable. I like this kid, no flash but all substance. He's a keeper.

Anyway did he do anything against us that game that showed this potential?

RS9999X

There's no Dark Side .....it's all Dark.
Reaction Score
Nope. Didn't live up to the build. Agree he's a fine pro. Dejuan looks like he's gotten a permanent bench role. Good trade bait.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
All I remember is thinking, "Oh $#!T, that's going in?"

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2

Reaction Score
SDSU talked him up huge and he got into foul trouble immediately. Think he finished with like 12 and 10 and showed that he was a solid player, but nothing that led you believe that he'd become what he has.

Reaction Score

I think that was the Arizona kid. But someone from our team must have neutralized him or shut him down. All I remember is Kemba and Lamb. Did Alex cover him?

Reaction Score
Kwahi scored the first 2 points of the game. Am rewatching the game.

Reaction Score
Primarily it was Alex from what I recall (could be wrong) KL started out hot with a couple buckets and three boards, but got a foul and a T for arguing with AO and went to the bench four minutes in to the game. Never seemed to get into a rhythm after that but was still tough. Hype around him by the SDSU fans was pretty wild though.

Great memories from that game. Team scores 74 and Kemba/Jeremy combined for 60!

Reaction Score
Kwahi got into foul trouble early. 4 minutes in has 2 fouls. Got a technical for unsportsmanlike conduct on the second.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
So this guy that played great in the NBA finals was outplayed just a couple of years ago by AO. Is that what I'm being told here?

Reaction Score
SDSU started out strong, with Leonard leading, but he got into foul trouble.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
The key to that game was that chump on SDSU getting punked by Kemba. The clown has to live with that for the rest of his life.

Reaction Score
The key to that game was that chump on SDSU getting punked by Kemba. The clown has to live with that for the rest of his life.

He did, but Franklin's gonna be a 1st round pick and a millionaire, I think he'll be able to put it out of his mind.

Reaction Score
I remember Roscoe, Jamal Coombs-McDaniel, and Lamb guarding Kawhi(Lamb caught an elbow to the back of his head on an offensive foul), don't remember AO on him. SDSU played with Kawhi at the 3 most of the time and two other bigs.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
He did, but Franklin's gonna be a 1st round pick and a millionaire, I think he'll be able to put it out of his mind.

Really? The guy who did that is an actual player? Has he grown up?

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
Really? The guy who did that is an actual player? Has he grown up?

I don't think he's grown up that much, but he's a terrific talent.

Reaction Score
I remember watching Leonard and thinking he would be a good NBA player. SDSU was also a damn good 2 seed, but didn't get credit because of their name. Kemba played his best game of the tournament against them scoring 36 i believe

Reaction Score

Wrong game.

I remember him, he was SDST best player, by far, and it was huge when he got into early foul trouble. I am pretty sure he was an All American that year

Reaction Score
Pulled from a New Haven Register article. Ahh, the memories.

San Diego State is coached by Steve Fisher, former ringmaster of the famed Michigan “Fab Five” of the early 1990s.

According to Shabazz Napier, the Aztecs apparently had some of Chris Webber, Jalen Rose & Co.’s brashness and cockiness in Thursday’s West regional semifinal bout.

“They thought they were the Fab Five,” Napier said. “We don’t talk much, we just go out there and play.”

The Aztecs’ chippiness hurt them, too. Just over four minutes into the game their best player, sophomore forward Kawhi Leonard, picked up a technical foul for jawing with UConn forward Alex Oriakhi. Leonard had just been called for a foul on Oriakhi away from the ball and continued jawing with him until referee Patrick Adams hit him with the ‘T.’

“I set a pick for Jeremy (Lamb), and he tried to run me over me,” Oriakhi explained. “I told him, ‘Calm down,’ and he just kept talking. He was able to get a technical, and that’s exactly what I wanted. I wanted to get into his head a little bit, have him get a technical.”

And what did Leonard say to Oriakhi?

“It was personal,” Leonard said.

With two quick fouls, Leonard, who averaged a team-best 15.6 points per game and had four points and three rebounds in the first four minutes, went to the bench. He returned about four minutes later, and though the Aztecs still led when he came back, his foul trouble throughout the game limited Leonard to 29 minutes.

“He’s a good player,” said Oriakhi. “For us to have him on the bench with foul trouble, it helps us out.”

Later, Jamaal Franklin was hit with a ‘T’ after bumping into Kemba Walker and sending him to the ground as Walker made his way to the huddle during a timeout.

“The contact was definitely enough to go down,” Walker said. “That’s why I was able to get the free throws.”

Walker’s freebies cut UConn’s deficit in half to two (53-51) with 9:19 to play.

Reaction Score
I don't think he's grown up that much, but he's a terrific talent.
I agree. He is still a punk. His teammates were hoping he'd go early to the NBA.

Joobie

Bookie
Reaction Score
I seem to remember a connection between Leonard & Sticks. Am I mis-remembering that? It's a consequence of the old-timer's disease!

Reaction Score
What's funny about that article, is that Wade said he still doesn't know what Leonard sounds like, because all he does is shut up and play. I wonder if maybe he regrets that technical (which took him out of the last game of his college career for a while) and made a point to never let it happen again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfreeds

Top Bottom