OT - just imagining..... | The Boneyard

OT - just imagining.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Today, for the annual fleet week in NY, a couple Navy ships and a couple coast guard cutters and a bunch of tall ships sailed into NY harbor and up the hudson river to dock.

I can tell you it was impressive, and I wasn't anywhere close to the river. Don't know the official designations of any of the boats, but looked like a marine corps unit and a cruiser leading the way.

It got me thinking and talking and joking, and I came up with an idea that just made me smile. Total pipe dream, but good for a laugh.

Now - the Big EAst conference has it's annual meetings every summer in Newport, RI. Newport is a beautiful and historic place - true seaport town. To my knowledge, Newport is the only deep water port that can accomodate a CV boat north of Norfolk, and in the continental U.S.

If any of you have ever been to Fort Adams Park in Newport, the point out there, is right on the harbor, across from the bridge, and that old military fort is built along the deepest part of the inlet into the port to defend the harbor..... and water depth drops off like a cliff next to the shore such that large ships/ freighters coming in there, are literally about 25 yards off shore as they pass by.

Now - we as a onference, have some meetings scheduled with the likes of ESPN coming up in the summer, ad other medie agencies thereafter, most likely. Man - if I had the pull......

I'd arrange for the meetings to be around a nice brunch out there at Fort Adams, big catered tent, out on the lawn right on the point.........and have also arranged for a North Atlantic exercise for the Dwight D. Eisenhower, or whatever carrier is stationed on the coast at the time, to just happen to be taking a shore visit at that time of whatever meeting.....make sure those media execs are facing th water as we sit down....

Sit down at the table with the media companies, and drive that .C.Ker right into the harbor and drop anchor right next to Fort Adams right off shore about 50 yards away from the tables.

It would block out the sun.

Google: parade of ships / fleet week new york. happened today. It was my inspiration for this one, for those of you that wonder where I get my ideas.

Reaction Score
Carl, you're about 2 decades too late with this idea. The Navy base was mostly decommissioned years ago. My sister went to OCS in Newport in '82. If the Navy still had a major presence there, it's just possible that your dream could happen. Then again, Navy is joining the NBE. Maybe the commandant of the Academy can get her done!

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
So media companies make bad deals when a boat in nearby.

People who have access to corporate jets and helicopters are going to be intimidated because a boat is in the harbor.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Your posts are starting to read like... If Larry Flynt was commissioner and you edited Big East Forum magazine.

Soon you will have to start with: I swear this is a true story.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score

People who have access to corporate jets and helicopters are going to be intimidated because a boat is in the harbor.

^ This. Carl, I love your enthusiasm and your love for the team in National Flag Blue, but you have to stop treating this stuff as if we are going to war. Unless you are planning to point some of the 50mm guns at Slive and Swofford or Lazarus from NBC, they don't make a damned bit of difference. Navy makes a difference because they are a good program with a large following and good history. Their boats? Not so much...

Reaction Score
I agree with every word you said. Besides Navy, I also want to add Army, Air Force, and Coast Guard. That would give us all the service academies.

We also need to have a rule in the conference bylaws that says that no member can leave if there are members who have spent more time in the conference. It wasn't fair that West Virginia, Syracuse, and Pitt left. We have more seniority than them. It sure wasn't fair that TCU left. They didn't even play a single game here. I'm afraid that I'm going to pick up the paper one day and see that Umass is leaving the Big East, and they haven't even joined yet.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
I can see it now...we arrange to have a frigate come menace the network execs and then the ESPN people call in the Disney Fantasy and they all go off to the Bahamas to play Baccarat and get hand jobs.

MattMang23

Adding Nothing to the Conversation
Reaction Score
I can see it now...we arrange to have a frigate come menace the network execs and then the ESPN people call in the Disney Fantasy and they all go off to the Bahamas to play Baccarat and get hand jobs.

I've only sailed on the Disney Magic. There were no hand jobs.

I need to book on the Fantasy.

Reaction Score
Carl, you're about 2 decades too late with this idea. The Navy base was mostly decommissioned years ago. My sister went to OCS in Newport in '82. If the Navy still had a major presence there, it's just possible that your dream could happen. Then again, Navy is joining the NBE. Maybe the commandant of the Academy can get her done!

I know that. It was over a few beers last night. I do believe that Newport though, is the only deep water port that could handle one of the carriers that close to shore north of Norfolk. Speaking of Newport at that time, '82, '83?, I was trying to figure out what the hell I was going to do with my life, and ended up partying like hell with John Bertrand and his crew in the bar across the street from the Red Parrot...I think it was called Scales at the time, that bar changes names every 2 years like clockwork,....it was the night before he beat Conners team with the Australia II. Yes - whaler....this is a true story. Australians have a rule that if you lose a game of pool (billiards) by scratching on the 8 ball, you have to walk around the table with your d*ck out and re-rack. Big hit with the ladies.

Bertrand wouldn't stop talking about that double winged keel.

Happy memorial day everybody. If you're in the NYC area, and can get into the city - check out all the tall ships, the cutters, and the Navy on the west side piers. There's a bunch on Staten Island too, but I can't actually encourage somebody to go to Staten Island. THey're open to the public and doing tours. I hope that the guys that took the Eagle down, if they came straight from New London, get to take her out to open water full sail before heading back. The marines will be rolling stuff in and out of Times Square all weekend I understand, and there will be aircraft and helicopter flight displays around the city. The Blue Angels are in town, at least were yesterday. Here's a look at the parade from yesterday.

and of course, thanks to all you do, and have, served.

http://darkroom.baltimoresun.com/20...w-york-city-for-the-25th-annual-fleet-week/#1

Reaction Score

None of you have ever stood on a dock next to a Nimitz class aircraft carrier. Makes the Intrepid museum in new york look like a tug boat. There is no force on this planet other than nuclear weapons themselves as powerful as a United States Navy aircraft carrier.

BTW - there was a fire on a submarine based out of Groton last night while in a shipyard in Maine. To my knowledge, everybody's ok. But god damn, a fire on a nuclear sub? THe guys that worked to put that out, are heroes, and a lot of them are calling Connecticut their home for awhile.

Have a nice weekend everybody, don't forget what it's about.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
None of you have ever stood on a dock next to a Nimitz class aircraft carrier. Makes the Intrepid museum in new york look like a tug boat. There is no force on this planet other than nuclear weapons themselves as powerful as a United States Navy aircraft carrier.

BTW - there was a fire on a submarine based out of Groton last night while in a shipyard in Maine. To my knowledge, everybody's ok. But god damn, a fire on a nuclear sub? THe guys that worked to put that out, are heroes, and a lot of them are calling Connecticut their home for awhile.

Have a nice weekend everybody, don't forget what it's about.

I got married in Newport - Oceancliff - and our Maid of Honor married an Australian she met at the Red Parrot. They fight real Somalian pirates at sea. It's crazy stuff.

Boats and the Navy and Groton and subs are all tremendous. None of this nonsense has anything to do with college football TV deals.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
i can't stop laughing

honestly tho, if i was to book a cruise for disney fantasy i would call and ask a couple questions. for these so called hand jobs are we talking like characters giving them or like teenage britney spears and christina aug(sp?) and justin timberlake. i mean the female mouse has some pretty big hands, i'm not trying to get off on some man hands with mj gloves.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
I've only sailed on the Disney Magic. There were no hand jobs.

I need to book on the Fantasy.

No kidding on the lack of hand jobs on the Disney cruise. Truth be told I was happy being able to get a mojito any time of the day and the kids having access to whatever the heck they wanted too.

There's a reason Disney prints money. They know how to drain a familhy of cash while keeping everyone happy.

Reaction Score
Yeah me and everyone who is clinically sane.

Ha. This coming from a guy who for some reason claims to have thought that football at memorial stadium was so important that you still have a piece of dirt from the turf hanging on your wall.

Peace. Enjoy the weekend.

June is an important month for UConn football....at all levels. While all of this crap has been going on, Coach P, I believe, and hope, has quietly been going about his business and establishing our Huskies as a player in the football recruiting world.

It' almost time to see the results, in the board rooms, and on the fields.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Today, for the annual fleet week in NY, a couple Navy ships and a couple coast guard cutters and a bunch of tall ships sailed into NY harbor and up the hudson river to dock.

I can tell you it was impressive, and I wasn't anywhere close to the river. Don't know the official designations of any of the boats, but looked like a marine corps unit and a cruiser leading the way.

Checking out some photos, it looks like LHD-1 The USS Wasp was the amphibious assault ship and DDG-80 USS Roosevelt was the Arleigh Burke class destroyer sailing up the Hudson.

Being Memorial Day weekend the Blue Angels are flying over Jones Beach in Long Island and were taking some photo ops and giving some aerial presence as the tall ships from around the world made their way around NYC.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Ha. This coming from a guy who for some reason claims to have thought that football at memorial stadium was so important that you still have a piece of dirt from the turf hanging on your wall.

Peace. Enjoy the weekend.

June is an important month for UConn football....at all levels. While all of this crap has been going on, Coach P, I believe, and hope, has quietly been going about his business and establishing our Huskies as a player in the football recruiting world.

It' almost time to see the results, in the board rooms, and on the fields.

Um yes I like football. Not boats.

Reaction Score
No kidding on the lack of hand jobs on the Disney cruise. Truth be told I was happy being able to get a mojito any time of the day and the kids having access to whatever the heck they wanted too.

There's a reason Disney prints money. They know how to drain a familhy of cash while keeping everyone happy.

A disney vacation is the wholesome family equivalent of being a single guy with a pocket full of cash and hitting up a high end strip joint. Not that there's anything wrong with it.

Reaction Score

They will when the ship turns into this.

040612-battleship-clip.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
so1