OT: Just for UCMiami...I'll Start | Page 3 | The Boneyard

OT: Just for UCMiami...I'll Start

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
But Theta, do you remember when you got the baseball card gum and it was so stale it shattered?! "Hey, you kids, stop thumbing the gum!"
Sometimes it was shattered while still in the wrapper. I usually just pocket the cards and toss the gum. I sometimes chew the pieces if I was desperate for a sweet chaw.

JRRRJ

Chief Didacticist
Reaction Score
Double and triple like. More like love. More please. I know nothing about horses. "She got horns"? What was that?
Mr. Keish delivered the milk from his farm on Gardner Street to us three times a week. The top of the bottles were about 25% cream, which my mother skimmed half of for her coffee. In the winter, if we got up late the bottles (on the porch would be partly frozen, with their caps on a column of cream sometimes 3 or 4 inches high.
My dad bought a '63 Volkswagen he drove to his job in Glastonbury -- perhaps 6 miles or so. During the height of the gas wars, he'd drive to a discount gas station (self-serve if you can believe it!), where he'd fill the car for less than 50 cents. Gas fell to about 11 cents at that station for a little while.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Sometimes it was shattered while still in the wrapper. I usually just pocket the cards and toss the gum. I sometimes chew the pieces if I was desperate for a sweet chaw.

You're speaking in the present tense JordyG. Pick me up a whole box of the stuff and I'll wire the funds to your account.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
with their caps on a column of cream sometimes 3 or 4 inches high.

JRRRJ, that was how the ice cream snow cone was born. Those crimped waxed paper caps didn't need much excuse to rise. Some were just heavy paper. My mom took a little for her tea.

JordyG

Reaction Score
You're speaking in the present tense JordyG. Pick me up a whole box of the stuff and I'll wire the funds to your account.
Wait. Wasn't I 9 years old just yesterday?

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Wait. Wasn't I 9 years old just yesterday?

Sometimes it seems that way. When I beat on an older bully with my lunch pail I can still see him lying there all curled up. And the Bonomo's Turkish Taffy for 5 cents at the $? matinee with 2 Tarzan movies and lots of cartoons. A wonder I have any teeth. Vanilla, chocolate and strawberry in that order. Had to be desperate to ever go for the strawberry.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Surprised triaddukefan did not jump on the donuts. Hope he's OK...:D

I thought this thread was just for UCMiami :confused:

Cheap shot :mad:

After all the donuts he's been eating his possibility of "jumping" is becoming less and less likely.

typing as i polish off my third donut of the evening

JordyG

Reaction Score
Sometimes it seems that way. When I beat on an older bully with my lunch pail I can still see him lying there all curled up. And the Bonomo's Turkish Taffy for 5 cents at the $? matinee with 2 Tarzan movies and lots of cartoons. A wonder I have any teeth. Vanilla, chocolate and strawberry in that order. Had to be desperate to ever go for the strawberry.
Here in NYC I'd go to the movie for 30 cents. I'd see 3 (!) features, a newsreel (remember them?) 3 cartoons, and at least one serial (Buck Rodgers!) with an intermission. Milk duds, popcorn (real) with butter (real), ice cream, Mars bars and a coke.

JordyG

Reaction Score
I thought this thread was just for UCMiami :confused:

typing as i polish off my third donut of the evening
Cheap but tasty. I just had my banana cream pie. First this month. I've been watching the old cholesterol.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Here in NYC I'd go to the movie for 30 cents. I'd see 3 (!) features, a newsreel (remember them?) 3 cartoons, and at least one serial (Buck Rodgers!) with an intermission. Milk duds, popcorn (real) with butter (real), ice cream, Mars bars and a coke.

You've always lived large, huh, JordyG! Always loved the MilkDuds but they made me queasy.

JordyG

Reaction Score
You've always lived large, huh, JordyG! Always loved the MilkDuds but they made me queasy.
As I said, I'd often go with my mom to see horror films. I guess it was her way of bribing me. It didn't stop the nightmares though.

Reaction Score
Thank You everyone For reminding me that I am not that old yet, lol! Really though that was really cool!

LasVegasYank

Never pay retail for anything.
Reaction Score
I can't tell you guys how much fun it's been posting to and reading this thread. Many memories for an old man.

As my Dad used to say, "It warmed the cockles of my heart."

Reaction Score
But Theta, do you remember when you got the baseball card gum and it was so stale it shattered?! "Hey, you kids, stop thumbing the gum!"
oh yes, sometimes the gum did shatter but it just took a little more work to get it into shape.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
oh yes, sometimes the gum did shatter but it just took a little more work to get it into shape.

Yeah, but if you didn't saliva soak before chewing a shard could stick you pretty good.

Reaction Score
I grew up in Mass. so the places are different, experiences not so much.
I remember gas wars on Belmont St. Gas at 14¢ a gallon.
I remember bonfires on the Fourth of July. And on VJ day.
I remember Angie Scampini, probably the only Italian-American anywhere who wasn't a Yankee fan. He rooted for the quintessential underdog, the St. Louis Browns.
I remember his son Roy, home from the war, taking my best friend and I with him to Rhode Island to buy firecrackers which were illegal in Mass. First time ever going 60 miles an hour. A mile a minute! Wow!
I remember Bing Crosby on the radio at noon every day. "When the blue of the night......".
I remember Heckle and Jeckle, the Katzenjammer Kids, and Terry and the Pirates.
I remember going to a Braves game. A Boston Braves game.
I remember Bob Cousy and Frank Oftring playing for Holy Cross, and then starting an insurance company.
I remember people getting upset when steak got up to a dollar a pound.
I remember Gorgeous George.
I remember Your Show of Shows with Sid Caesar. And Kukla, Fran, and Ollie.
I remember John Wayne in commercials for Camels.
I remember Priscilla.................and that's enough for memories.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
I remember Gorgeous George.

And now there is a weatherman on one of the west coast Abc, CBS, NBCs who looks just like him! Great stuff McFly.

Reaction Score
Got home from school one afternoon and watched the tv guy install the antenna on the roof and hook up our first b&w set. When he finally turned it on, Kate Smith was doing her afternoon show.

Also tv related, we watched the 1958 NFL Championship between our beloved Gints and the hated Colts. It was the first time I watched a full sporting event beginning to end (ot).

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom