OT: Just for UCMiami...I'll Start | The Boneyard

OT: Just for UCMiami...I'll Start

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Do you remember when:

1. A glass of water was free and you didn't get a dirty look asking for it?

2. People restocked store shelves at night and did not clog the aisles every day when you were shopping?

3. Don Imus actually appeared on his own syndicated radio show more than 1.5 times a week? Don, it is apparent it is in your own colorful lingo: Dog track time for you! With your profligate life style having caught up with you, why did you move to Texas. For the desert air? Think dust Don, think dust and wind that drives the dust everywhere. And hanging around rodeos? What do those hoofs cloven and otherwise kick up? I love you bud, but go smell the roses or the cactus blossoms and gracefully ride off in the sunset.

4. Do you remember when gas was only $2.29 a gallon? Oh, wait, that was last month wasn't it.

LasVegasYank

Never pay retail for anything.
Reaction Score
I remember working at the A&P when I was 16. Bread was 2/$.35 and was delivered fresh every morning. It had the name of the day on the end flap. When the store closed all leftover bakery products were moved to the day old section to make room for next morning's fresh goods. There was a line at the door before we opened the next morning ad women rushed the day old section and loaded their carts with the half price day old goods. Just before then, the assistant manager grabbed a bunch of pastries/donuts and moved them to the employee's break room for us to have during our coffee breaks.

I started at $.95 an hour and got a nickel raise after six months and got paid every Saturday. I always had money left at the end of the week even after sticking some into savings.

Used to be friendly with the meat manager who was responsible for his end of the store and didn't report to the manager. He'd pack some treats for me like four NY strips for $1.00, five pounds of ground chuck for $.50, leftover lobsters Saturday nights (we were closed on Sundays in those days). Got lucky one Saturday and scored 13 of them for $1.00.

There was a woman who came in every Friday with $100.00 (she had five kids) to shop for the week's groceries. She'd fill four shopping carts in less than 20 minutes (we'd help her) and would only wind up with a buck or two in change. This was before calculators.

And yes Rocky, we cleaned up and stocked only when the store was closed.

I remember a gas war my sophomore year in college. Gas got down to $.21 a gallon. I'd could fill up my '57 Ford convertible and get change for a five dollar bill. Cokes were $.10 in the vending machines. A six pack of Bud was $.70. The local drive in had a night where you could get a car full in for $3.00. When I was ten or so, the local theater had cartoons, a serial and a move Saturday afternoon for $.30 (with a bag of popcorn).

But I can't remember what I had for breakfast yesterday.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
I remember working at the A&P when I was 16. Bread was 2/$.35 and was delivered fresh every morning. It had the name of the day on the end flap. When the store closed all leftover bakery products were moved to the day old section to make room for next morning's fresh goods. There was a line at the door before we opened the next morning ad women rushed the day old section and loaded their carts with the half price day old goods. Just before then, the assistant manager grabbed a bunch of pastries/donuts and moved them to the employee's break room for us to have during our coffee breaks.

I started at $.95 an hour and got a nickel raise after six months and got paid every Saturday. I always had money left at the end of the week even after sticking some into savings.

Used to be friendly with the meat manager who was responsible for his end of the store and didn't report to the manager. He'd pack some treats for me like four NY strips for $1.00, five pounds of ground chuck for $.50, leftover lobsters Saturday nights (we were closed on Sundays in those days). Got lucky one Saturday and scored 13 of them for $1.00.

There was a woman who came in every Friday with $100.00 (she had five kids) to shop for the week's groceries. She'd fill four shopping carts in less than 20 minutes (we'd help her) and would only wind up with a buck or two in change. This was before calculators.

And yes Rocky, we cleaned up and stocked only when the store was closed.

I remember a gas war my sophomore year in college. Gas got down to $.21 a gallon. I'd could fill up my '57 Ford convertible and get change for a five dollar bill. Cokes were $.10 in the vending machines. A six pack of Bud was $.70. The local drive in had a night where you could get a car full in for $3.00. When I was ten or so, the local theater had cartoons, a serial and a move Saturday afternoon for $.30 (with a bag of popcorn).

But I can't remember what I had for breakfast yesterday.

That great, great post LasVegasYank made this thread worthwhile. And, as for memory, every day I log on here and have very little clue what I posted yesterday.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
For the last couple of generations, just to start the creative juices flowing:

Don't you just hate it when you get home from Gristedes and the Sabra Hummus container has slipped in the bag and all the hummus is slumped to one side.

:p

LasVegasYank

Reaction Score
I remember when you could buy Camels from a vending machine...and get three pennies change along the side of the pack.

LasVegasYank

Reaction Score
I remember going to McDonald's and picking up a burger, fries and a Coke for $.40. Just kidding, who ever bought just one burger. :D

LasVegasYank

Reaction Score
I remember my Dad selling his '40 Ford coupe for $25.00.

Reaction Score
LasVegasYank, Burger King hamburger, fries, and a Coke and change from a half a buck. I remember.....

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Not sure why I am so honored in the thread title, but .... thanks, I think! :eek::)
(Compared to some of these memories I am a youngster!)
But I can play that game ...
1. I remember when soda was $0.08 if you drank it in the store and left the bottle, but you had to come up with two more pennies if you wanted to drink it sitting on the curb around the corner. (Special day when my aunt splurged for my cousin and I and we did just that, and she was sort of annoyed that 4 cents had only gotten us 50 feet away from the store!)

2. I remember when every gas station had to upgrade all of their pumps and all of their signage because gas prices had not only broken into above $0.9999, but stayed there. The small town general store with a pump out front in our summer home in NH resisted for a few years and just added one dollar for each gallon to the total owed - it was really strange pumping gas for $0.0299 and getting a full tank when the pump registered $0.42 for a big old Chevy station wagon.

3. I remember having a family account at that same general store, with no cash trading hands until the end of each month and each purchase recorded on a little white pad.

4. I remember buying lots of penny candies (some even 2or 3 for $0.01) out of large jars with none of them even wrapped in paper or cellophane let alone hermetically sealed.

5. I remember traveler's checks and even rarer, a letter of credit with a separate signature guarantee document which was the only way to have access to money in foreign countries.

6. A remember 'party line' rotary dial phones - our ring was long, short, long.

7. I remember leaving the house after breakfast age around eight and returning in time for lunch, and then leaving again and returning for dinner and no one calling social services or the police because I wasn't under adult supervision - I had freedom few children today can imagine.

And I remember a time when we all believed in the same basic facts and truths and scientific consensus wasn't open for debate among non-scientists. Wonderful changes and improvements have happened during my lifetime and I am so lucky to have seen them and enjoyed them, but ... along the way it seems we have lost some civility and civic respect, and given too loud a voice to the fringes of our society and more disastrously, to the truly ignorant, spiteful, and hateful.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Just to be contrarian (it's raining out), yes, I remember Don Imus

And he went poof in New York ...WFAN? I remember listening to that episode and thinking he's back on coke!

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
6. A remember 'party line' rotary dial phones - our ring was long, short, long.

That rotary dialer could be tiring and with a lot of dialing you ended up with a grove in the finger of your choice.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
I remember when the drugstore kept the cigarettes out front and the rubbers behind the counter. Now it's just the opposite.
I remember when drug stores sold ice cream. I remember Egg Creames and malts. I remember when gas stations were full service, and a stop for gas meant a team of guys spilling out to check your oil, tire pressure and wash your windows.

I remember the nickle trolley here in NYC. I remember when the transit fare went up to 15 cents we thought it highway robbery.

I remember the BROOKLYN Dodgers and the NEW YORK Giants.

I remember Willy Mays and Mickey Mantle.

I remember duck and cover drills in grade school.

I remember gigantic gang wars here in NY ( 500 people? 1ooo?) where gangs had their own names and rap/theme songs. Yeah, rapping existed even in the 40's and 50's.

I remember family dinners. I remember when the family sat around a 12" color TV and thought it a technological marvel.

I remember playing NY street games like stickball, johnny on a pony and coco-levio all day, leaving for dinner, then returning to play late into the evening AND FEELING SAFE WHILE DOING IT.

Some of you may remember never locking your doors, but I lived in the city and that was never a reality.

I remember a NY pizza and a coke for 25 cents.

I remember watching the best boxers on free TV every Friday: Sugar Ray ROBINSON, Jake LaMotta (RIP Jake), Joe Louis, Rocky (the real one), Jersey Joe, all free.

I remember when clowns were funny and/or sad and there where no IT's.

I remember the neighborhood barber shop where elders shot the poo all day.

I remember family doctors.

I remember loving and respecting our teachers, elders, and strangers. I remember politeness, formality and civility.

I also remember tough catholic school brothers and sisters who would as soon whup your ass as teach arithmetic. I think the sisters were the worse. I remember quiet classrooms which were places for learning.

I remember when any corporal correction by parents wasn't considered abuse. Thank you Dr. Spock.

Enough.

Reaction Score
I remember when a penny could buy you:

12 minutes on a parking meter, or
a jaw breaker gum ball, or
a shallow palmful of stale spanish peanuts, or
a little daub of candy on wax paper.

Can you buy anything today with a dime?

Why do we mint coins that you can't buy anything with?

Rocket009

Santa Cruz. CA
Reaction Score
I remember when you had to drive to the store or mall whenever you needed to buy anything

I remember when cars were lucky to last 100,000 miles

I remember when you had to rely on local news to tell you what your commute was going to be like

I remember when the only entertainment in the car was AM radio

I remember when car exhaust was black

I remember when you couldn't watch all the UCONN games outside of CT

I remember having to watch UCONN games at the field house

I remember when you were lucky to get more than 3 channels on your TV

I remember when roller coasters never went upside down

:)

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
I remember when drug stores sold ice cream. I remember Egg Creames and malts. I remember when gas stations were full service, and a stop for gas meant a team of guys spilling out to check your oil, tire pressure and wash your windows.

I remember the nickle trolley here in NYC. I remember when the transit fare went up to 15 cents we thought it highway robbery.

I remember the BROOKLYN Dodgers and the NEW YORK Giants.

I remember Willy Mays and Mickey Mantle.

I remember duck and cover drills in grade school.

I remember gigantic gang wars here in NY ( 500 people? 1ooo?) where gangs had their own names and rap/theme songs. Yeah, rapping existed even in the 40's and 50's.

I remember family dinners. I remember when the family sat around a 12" color TV and thought it a technological marvel.

I remember playing NY street games like stickball, johnny on a pony and coco-levio all day, leaving for dinner, then returning to play late into the evening AND FEELING SAFE WHILE DOING IT.

Some of you may remember never locking your doors, but I lived in the city and that was never a reality.

I remember a NY pizza and a coke for 25 cents.

I remember watching the best boxers on free TV every Friday: Sugar Ray ROBINSON, Jake LaMotta (RIP Jake), Joe Louis, Rocky (the real one), Jersey Joe, all free.

I remember when clowns were funny and/or sad and there where no IT's.

I remember the neighborhood barber shop where elders shot the poo all day.

I remember family doctors.

I remember loving and respecting our teachers, elders, and strangers. I remember politeness, formality and civility.

I also remember tough catholic school brothers and sisters who would as soon whup your ass as teach arithmetic. I think the sisters were the worse. I remember quiet classrooms which were places for learning.

I remember when any corporal correction by parents wasn't considered abuse. Thank you Dr. Spock.

Enough.

Enough? Never.

I remember Jackie Robinson, Roy Campanella and Gil Hodges.

I remember when the Dodgers left.

I remember when football and basketball were sports and not brands.

I remember an occasional intimate chat to the people by the president on TV.

I remember Roy Rodgers, Dale, and Davey Crockett.

I remember how much my dad loved "Shoot-em-ups" and a good fight. I still remember rooting for the Indians in cowboy movies.

I remember only you can prevent forest fires.

I remember cold winters and mounds of snow piled on corners after snowfalls that were one story high. I remember sliding off of them.

I remember going to horror movies with my mom when I was 4 and 5 years old. She loved them but was too scared to go alone. I had nightmares for years about creatures and witches.

I remember clean beaches.

I remember bikini's.

I remember Coney Island, The Cyclone,the boardwalk, its parachute jump and Steeplechase Park. I remember Nathan's and cotton candy.

I remember open fire hydrants in the summer and going up on the roof at night to cool off. I remember stoop sitting.

I remember short shorts.

I remember the doo-wop singers on the corner under the streetlights, in the hallways and in the subways singing harmonies.

I remember early Rock and Roll shows at the Paramount. I was about 3. I also remember Murray the K and all of his shows at the Fox. $2 and about 20 acts doing one or two songs apiece. I remember Frankie Lymon. I remember crying when Johnny Ace shot himself.

I remember The Little Rascales and Howdy Doody.

I remember Jackie Gleason and Ed Sullivan.

I remember The Nat King Cole show, and when he was forced off the air.

The remember paper airplanes and lunch boxes.

I remember never swearing in front of my parents. I remember a mouth full of soap.

I remember my first taste of beer. I'm a teetotaler.

I remember Bruno Sammartino.

I remember when a high end coffee shop meant a Chock Full o' Nuts place.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
That rotary dialer could be tiring and with a lot of dialing you ended up with a grove in the finger of your choice.
I remember when you could tell which area codes were in big cities, e.g 212 NYC, 213 LA, because they took less time to dial those codes with rotary phones. Once touch tone came along, it was just as easy to dial 908 as 212 so it didn't matter.

when it was okay to pick up hitchhikers.

when you could tell what brand of car was coming down the road just based on the sound.

When our local McDonald's had a sign up that read, "Over 10,000 sold".

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Enough? Never.

I remember Jackie Robinson, Roy Campanella and Gil Hodges.

I remember when the Dodgers left.

I remember when football and basketball were sports and not brands.

I remember an occasional intimate chat to the people by the president on TV.

I remember Roy Rodgers, Dale, and Davey Crockett.

I remember how much my dad loved "Shoot-em-ups" and a good fight. I still remember rooting for the Indians in cowboy movies.

I remember only you can prevent forest fires.

I remember cold winters and mounds of snow piled on corners after snowfalls that were one story high. I remember sliding off of them.

I remember going to horror movies with my mom when I was 4 and 5 years old. She loved them but was too scared to go alone. I had nightmares for years about creatures and witches.

I remember clean beaches.

I remember bikini's.

I remember Coney Island, The Cyclone,the boardwalk, its parachute jump and Steeplechase Park. I remember Nathan's and cotton candy.

I remember open fire hydrants in the summer and going up on the roof at night to cool off. I remember stoop sitting.

I remember short shorts.

I remember the doo-wop singers on the corner under the streetlights, in the hallways and in the subways singing harmonies.

I remember early Rock and Roll shows at the Paramount. I was about 3. I also remember Murray the K and all of his shows at the Fox. $2 and about 20 acts doing one or two songs apiece. I remember Frankie Lymon. I remember crying when Johnny Ace shot himself.

I remember The Little Rascales and Howdy Doody.

I remember Jackie Gleason and Ed Sullivan.

I remember The Nat King Cole show, and when he was forced off the air.

The remember paper airplanes and lunch boxes.

I remember never swearing in front of my parents. I remember a mouth full of soap.

I remember my first taste of beer. I'm a teetotaler.

I remember Bruno Sammartino.

I remember when a high end coffee shop meant a Chock Full o' Nuts place.

I remember when Bruno San Martino was announced as a new comer. Who is this? He's sculpted. Shouldn't wrestlers have big bellies like Haystack Calhoun. I was a slave to wrestling on TV and someone gave us a little old one with a round screen and a leather covered cabinet and it was placed in my bedroom so everyone else could gather in the living room and watch Patty Page, et al.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dixiedog

Top Bottom