OT: Just booked my trip to New Orleans for Tulane | The Boneyard

OT: Just booked my trip to New Orleans for Tulane

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I noticed that the stadium is about five miles away from the French Quarter and where I'm staying. My AirBnB provides free bikes -- is it doable? Or is it a really bad neighborhood?

I also noticed that tickets are 42 bucks on Stubhub and 55 through UConn. Seems kind of expensive. I'm contemplating waiting until closer to the game and one of us sucks more (hopefully them) but I'm not sure if it makes sense to wait or buy now.

And has anybody tailgated at Yulman Stadium? Or is anybody planning to do a Boneyard tailgate or anything like that I could contribute to? Not that I have any problem just drinking beers in a parking lot. Cause I definitely don't.

Can't wait -- it's my first strip to New Orleans and my first away game cause I am not as good a fan as pretty much every single person here.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
There's a bus that goes from the French Quarter to the game. That's our plan.

31GuardTrap

Bringing back the basics
Reaction Score
"Should" be a much better game this year.

Bonehead

'Ollie North of the Cesspool'
Reaction Score
First time for us as well - hoping a UConn tailgate offer pops up before hand.

We have held off on game tickets so far like yourself, but have airline and hotel booked.

Reaction Score
There's a bus that goes from the French Quarter to the game. That's our plan.

I just checked Google Maps and it shows a bus transfer and takes about 51 minutes? I may just ride my bike -- it's about 30 minutes. I just have no idea how bad the neighborhoods are. But I live in New Haven so I'm already pretty much a hardened street thug anyway.

Reaction Score
I'm 50/50 for the trip. Been to New Orleans many times but never have set foot on Tulane's campus. If I get a rental I'll likely drive with a few loaded Styrofoam coolers in the trunk.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
I wouldn't recommend having a bike be my sole option biking 5 miles through any part of New Orleans. Of course I probably make the same statement regarding any major US city.

I'm hoping to make it. My work schedule will make it a last minute decision. Definitely recommend getting lodging as close to possible to the Quarter. Eat the cost of transportation to/from game and keep the night life to a quick cab ride. And for the love of God, have some closed-toe shoes when you go out at night. The city is dirty.

Bonehead

Reaction Score
Courtyard Downtown/Convention Center

Reaction Score
I went last year. Was basically the worst game of football I've ever seen in my life including HS.

Great time in NOLA though. Enjoy and hope you get a better match up this time!

Reaction Score
I'm staying at some dude's house via AirBnB. I ain't got that hotel money. I mean, I could, but I'm cheap. I'm probably just gonna drink the difference.

Bonehead

Reaction Score
I'm staying at some dude's house via AirBnB. I ain't got that hotel money. I mean, I could, but I'm cheap. I'm probably just gonna drink the difference.
Good Luck with that...

Reaction Score
I had 450,000 Marriott reward points to use up. Should have stayed 3 nights at the Ritz, but went cheap and chose the Marriott.

cttxus

The CT-TX-US Connection: Historic, Alive and Well
Reaction Score
I had 450,000 Marriott reward points to use up. Should have stayed 3 nights at the Ritz, but went cheap and chose the Marriott.
Soooo, maybe you have some points left over to donate to some deserving Husky fan wanting to travel to NO but a little short on cash for the hotel room? :p

Reaction Score
Truth be told I am full of and only had 210000 points that I used up between Newport and New Orleans. Hit Platinum Elite status as well!

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I just checked Google Maps and it shows a bus transfer and takes about 51 minutes? I may just ride my bike -- it's about 30 minutes. I just have no idea how bad the neighborhoods are. But I live in New Haven so I'm already pretty much a hardened street thug anyway.

From what I saw, the 16 bus goes from Poydras at Carondelet to within .3 mile of the stadium in 18 minutes.

Jax Husky

Larry Taylor did nothing wrong
Reaction Score
Take from a native Louisianan, DO NOT RIDE A BIKE OR WALK IN NEW ORLEANS AT OR NEAR NIGHT TIME.

Every neighborhood in the city borders a terrible one, and crime and mugging are rampant. Only city in the world where I am truly afraid in (now that I don't go to Mexico)

Reaction Score
Take from a native Louisianan, DO NOT RIDE A BIKE OR WALK IN NEW ORLEANS AT OR NEAR NIGHT TIME.

Every neighborhood in the city borders a terrible one, and crime and mugging are rampant. Only city in the world where I am truly afraid in (now that I don't go to Mexico)

Yeah it's really that bad? According to this list (http://kdvr.com/2015/05/08/by-the-numbers-here-are-the-most-dangerous-cities-in-america/), New Haven is actually more dangerous than New Orleans and I ride my bike around here all the time. Granted, I happen to think a moving target is just harder to hit, but yeah, I'll probably take an Uber if only so I don't drunkenly crash my bike.

Just interesting that New Orleans has such a reputation but statistically I haven't seen it match up with cities like Detroit, Flint, St. Louis, or even New Haven (or Hartford this year, ugh).

Jax Husky

Larry Taylor did nothing wrong
Reaction Score
I lived in New Haven for years. It is kindergarten compared to New Orelans. New Orleans has straight up predators roaming the streets. Even the French Quarter has gotten a little dangerous.

Day time is probably not bad, but when the sun goes down, it gets sketchy aS hell.

I don't know what stats you are looking at, but for murder New Orleans is at or near the top of the list every year. Hartford hasIke 16 murders this year and the Courant was talking about how bad things were, worst in years. I think New Orleans is already well over 100 murders this year already.

Reaction Score
Myself and three others are headed down for the game and we would also be willing to contribute to a UConn tailgate. For those who might be interested, I checked the Saints' schedule and they are hosting the Giants the weekend before our game (we unfortunately won't arrive until Friday). However, Blidi and the Titans are in town on the 8th so I'm guessing he may make a guest appearance at Yulman.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
OP: Biking from the FQ to Tulane and back is a very, very bad idea. Don't do it.

I've worked in New Haven for more than 20 years and used to live here in the city and ride my bike all around. Throw your statistics out the window because you know where the bad spots are in New Haven and how to avoid them. The transition from ok to very bad neighborhoods in New Orleans is very quick and very different than what you're accustomed to around here. Although Tulane is Uptown and generally much nicer, the FQ itself is very dicey in many spots and you won't even know it until it's too late. Some of the most dangerous stretches of the FQ actually look safe because it looks like a "quiet" part, but it's really just desolate and a better opportunity to jump you with no one noticing.

And the roads are not great, either. Very tight and very close to cars, and lots of potholes to avoid.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom