OT: Jury Duty | The Boneyard

OT: Jury Duty

Status
Not open for further replies.

temery

What?
Reaction Score
Any judges, trial lawyers or court workers here?

I've been called for jury duty. Been there. Done that. Don't want to do it again.

What's the best day to reschedule my date to minimize my chances of being put on a lengthy trial? Friday before a Monday holiday? Just before Christmas or Thanksgiving?

Reaction Score
If you don't want to serve, just make sure you tell them you understand the science of memory and are distrustful of eyewitness testimony, etc. They won't choose someone who talks about that kind of thing in voir dire.

Or tell them you have heard of jury nullification.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Nothing sure fire, but in general your instinct is right. Some courts allow "stacking" though, which means that you could be picking a jury today for a trial that doesn't start for a few weeks.

End the summer, close to Labor Day, also seems to be a tough time to get business done in court because so many people are away.

Telling them that you get most of your news from the Cesspool is probably your best bet.

RichZ

Fort the ead!
Reaction Score
I have always relied on rescheduling for as close to possible to 2 days before a holiday, and it has failed twice in nearly 50 years of Jury notices. Unfortunately, those were 2 of the last three times, so something may have changed in the system's approach -- at least here in CT.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
The best way to avoid jury duty is to go through the process. If you are make an excuse without actually going to the courthouse, you have a better shot a being "ramdomly" selected at the next earliest possible opportunity. When I was in school, I was called 4 times, 2 each by CT and MA. My excuses where: 1) not a CT resident when CT called and 2) when MA summoned, I was a student in CT. I finally served and I've been called once in the 16 years since.

Then find something about the case that you actually morally oppose. The last time I was called, Three of the six charges had to do with assault of an "Special Victims Unit" variety. At least one was 1st degree. I was very wobbly in my answers to the prosecutor on if I could be unbiased toward this sort of crime (which was not a lie. If my wife turns on SVU, I leave room).

Husky25

Reaction Score
Quite honestly, if you show the slightest bit of common sense, chances are you won't be picked. Both sides want people they can manipulate.

Reaction Score
Suck it up Tom. Bring the laptop get on the Boneyard and there's a chance in hell you will get selected. :eek:

Reaction Score
I just rescheduled last month, the sitting area looked packed so I knew they had a big enough pool. My reason was that I was tired after a long flight. Asked us to come at 8am but I came at 9 and they were still processing people but it was near the end.

Its never fun, but its best to do your civil duty and get it over with. My only advice is never arrive early or on time.

pnow15

Previously pnete
Reaction Score
Just say you are incapable of being impartial.

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
CT has one day obligation, I don't know if that is true for Mass. Is it Federal or state, it makes a difference. As long as you appear and make it clear by your answers and attitude that you want no part of it most attorneys would never take a chance on you.

Husky25

Reaction Score
The Jury room in Middletown is pretty accommodating, especially since they allow smartphones and laptops, plus there is a TV. The first time I served served, no electronic devices were allowed (in Hartford). I studied for the CPA exam, but there were people just sitting there. Had to be excruciatingly boring.

temery

What?
Reaction Score
Quite honestly, if you show the slightest bit of common sense, chances are you won't be picked. Both sides want people they can manipulate.

They may explain why I've only had to serve once.

Reaction Score
So lie under oath, you're saying?

Why would any of that be a lie? Everyone should know these things.

It's just important to know the right keywords though.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
I disagree with this. You usually only get three or four peremptory challenges (i.e., removal of a prospective juror for any reason or no reason at all); otherwise you have to establish "cause" to remove a venireperson. Depending on the judge and how far s/he is willing to go to "rehabilitate" an allegedly biased juror, this is not an easy task, and it can doom you quickly if you are trying to get only jurors you believe are favorable to your side.

I learned long ago that it is more about "deselection" of jurors who you think will hurt you than it is about selecting jurors who you believe will help you. If someone is willing and able to give both sides a fair shake, that's all I need. Someone who is reluctant almost always makes a better juror than someone who is too eager.

Based on what I've seen of your posts, Tom, I'd probably take you as a juror. I assume you would honor your oath and I would rely on me being able to do my job.

Reaction Score
I did have luck being re-scheduled right before Christmas… Called in 24 hours in advance, as advised & was told the session was cancelled & my obligation was fulfilled.

Separately, I once got pulled from a New Haven murder trial because they went down a list of names involved with the case asking if we knew anyone. Coincidentally, I had attended school with the Case-Detectives wife so they yanked me.

August_West

Conscience do cost
Reaction Score
1)show up wearing this.
2)get immediately dismised
3)Spend the rest of your day relaxing.
4) Profit?

2a192ad0efc267b976cd2361e84ccea6.jpg

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
Don't know about your state, but you can do as I did this year. Turn 70 and opt out.

Reaction Score
I don't agree. I'm just looking to get a jury without a person with an axe to grind.
Regarding getting out of it, be strongly opinionated and vague. If the question is, 'do you think you can be impartial?' You respond with, 'no, I can't. ". When they follow up with, why not? You respond with, 'I'm not sure I can express it in words, but based on what I've seen and heard, I have strong feelings about criminals/da s' (take your pick). Go home. The only way this doesn't work is if you have two brain dead attorneys, which is not impossible.
For those saying this is wrong, my attitude is that I've contributed a heck of a lot more (service/tax/productivity) to the state, so these people who watch seven hours of TV a day can take up some of my slack.

Reaction Score
Quite honestly, if you show the slightest bit of common sense, chances are you won't be picked.
And if you don't show any common sense they appoint you to a position in the Connecticut government.

Reaction Score
Do your jury duty. I hear people complain all the time about how screwed up our criminal system is then they avoid jury duty. (not that you are one of these people). Shortly after graduating UCONN, I served as jury foreman for a felony murder case and had to stand up in front of the 5 time (5x!!!) convicted felon's friends and family to give the guilty verdict leading to a 55 year sentence..... The most amazing part was how willing the jury was to elect a 22 year old jury foreman and then allow me to run the show. I was one of two jury members with college education, the second being a junior at Quinnipiac and she was scared to even be there. We need more reasonable people to serve. Now when I get called, which is rarely, I call them let them know I did my duty and they let me off.

Husky25

Reaction Score
Now when I get called, which is rarely, I call them let them know I did my duty and they let me off.
When was this? You are eligible to be called every three years. If this jury was 10 years ago, you should at least do your day.

Reaction Score
Do your jury duty. I hear people complain all the time about how screwed up our criminal system is then they avoid jury duty. (not that you are one of these people). Shortly after graduating UCONN, I served as jury foreman for a felony murder case and had to stand up in front of the 5 time (5x!!!) convicted felon's friends and family to give the guilty verdict leading to a 55 year sentence..... The most amazing part was how willing the jury was to elect a 22 year old jury foreman and then allow me to run the show. I was one of two jury members with college education, the second being a junior at Quinnipiac and she was scared to even be there. We need more reasonable people to serve. Now when I get called, which is rarely, I call them let them know I did my duty and they let me off.
You're telling everyone to step up & not avoid doing their jury duty & then you state that now whenever you're called you tell them you already served so you can get off?

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I don't agree. I'm just looking to get a jury without a person with an axe to grind.
Regarding getting out of it, be strongly opinionated and vague. If the question is, 'do you think you can be impartial?' You respond with, 'no, I can't. ". When they follow up with, why not? You respond with, 'I'm not sure I can express it in words, but based on what I've seen and heard, I have strong feelings about criminals/da s' (take your pick). Go home. The only way this doesn't work is if you have two brain dead attorneys, which is not impossible.
For those saying this is wrong, my attitude is that I've contributed a heck of a lot more (service/tax/productivity) to the state, so these people who watch seven hours of TV a day can take up some of my slack.
I've seen a judge completely ream out a guy who tried something similar... but he didn't end up serving.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MTSuitsky

Top Bottom