OT: John Calipari interested in Pelicans' job, but can they afford him? | Page 3 | The Boneyard

OT: John Calipari interested in Pelicans' job, but can they afford him?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
"How do we do this? It all starts with players first," Calipari said. "Their dreams become our dreams. Last year we started the season with a goal. You may think that goal was to win the national title! Win al the games! It was to get eight players drafted.

I think he knows what Big Blue Nation is. Big Blue Nation is the mob. Conjure magic for them and they'll be distracted. Take away their freedom and still they'll roar. The beating heart of Big Blue Nation is not the National Champioship Trophy, it's the NBA Draft. He'll bring them death - and they will love him for it.

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
Unbelievable! College basketball is irrelevant except as gateway to the NBA. Wonder if the other players on his team realize they are playing for no reason.

Well, he succeeded in not winning a championship. Succeeded in not winning every game. Will succeed in getting 8 players to the NBA who would have gotten there anyway. Yeah!

Reaction Score
I think he knows what Big Blue Nation is. Big Blue Nation is the mob. Conjure magic for them and they'll be distracted. Take away their freedom and still they'll roar. The beating heart of Big Blue Nation is not the National Champioship Trophy, it's the NBA Draft. He'll bring them death - and they will love him for it.
The Big Blue Nation only exists for one thing ,thats winning NC,
Calipari is blowing smoke to avoid being run out of town for failure.
Like any con man his escape route is well planned in advance.
There is already a small group that hates him , but much like Adolf Hilters enemies in the military elite they were powerless in the face of his popularity with the masses. But as soon as a crack appears so will Cal.

Reaction Score
Didn't want to start another Calimari thread so figured I'd add this on to this thread. I can't believe I just read this below. I'm sure the UK administration and all their fans are happy to hear this. What a load of crap!

Calipari spoke, and near the beginning of his speech (audio below), he claimed that getting as many players into the NBA Draft was Kentucky's primary goal this season. It wasn't winning a national title -- it was putting guys into the draft. That was the objective.

"How do we do this? It all starts with players first," Calipari said. "Their dreams become our dreams. Last year we started the season with a goal. You may think that goal was to win the national title! Win al the games! It was to get eight players drafted. 'Well, how can you be about your team if you're worried about players getting drafted?' Well, we kind of work it the other way. What are you dreams? What are you looking for? What are you trying to get out of life? How can we help you with that?"

http://www.cbssports.com/collegebas...goal-was-to-get-players-drafted-not-win-title

Thanks for posting this - I read the article and thought I had entered a parallel universe ala Star Trek. UFB! So his "philosophy" is the hopeful future of the few has more importance that the goal of the whole to win. Certainly the "college" I would want my kid to attend where succeeding as a team takes a backseat to promoting the future of the chosen few.

Reaction Score
The Big Blue Nation only exists for one thing ,thats winning NC,
Calipari is blowing smoke to avoid being run out of town for failure.
Like any con man his escape route is well planned in advance.
There is already a small group that hates him , but much like Adolf Hilters enemies in the military elite they were powerless in the face of his popularity with the masses. But as soon as a crack appears so will Cal.
Exactly. If UK had won the championship he never would say this. He's the ultimate spin master.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MTSuitsky

Top Bottom