OT: Is there a "pet" food pantry in CT? | The Boneyard

OT: Is there a "pet" food pantry in CT?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
This morning we lost our beloved cat Marshmallow to cancer. He was a special kitty, in many ways. I am grieving mightily this morning. It isn't that is was unexpected, we knew the end was coming. And I thought I had come to terms with it and was prepared, but I guess you just never know how you will react when the end comes.

He was on a prescription weight control diet. We have six cans of the diet food, and an unopened 8 lb bag of the diet dry food. I could just donate it to the town animal control shelter or the Humane Society, but I would really like to donate it to somewhere where a family who is facing financial challenges can provide for their beloved family pet instead of giving it up to a shelter.

Is there such a thing as a pet food pantry? Or would the local food pantry accept the donation of pet food?

Reaction Score
This morning we lost our beloved cat Marshmallow to cancer. He was a special kitty, in many ways. I am grieving mightily this morning. It isn't that is was unexpected, we knew the end was coming. And I thought I had come to terms with it and was prepared, but I guess you just never know how you will react when the end comes.

He was on a prescription weight control diet. We have six cans of the diet food, and an unopened 8 lb bag of the diet dry food. I could just donate it to the town animal control shelter or the Humane Society, but I would really like to donate it to somewhere where a family who is facing financial challenges can provide for their beloved family pet instead of giving it up to a shelter.

Is there such a thing as a pet food pantry? Or would the local food pantry accept the donation of pet food?
Sorry for your loss. I admire that you are still thinking of others at this time.

Reaction Score

My condolences as well.

I'm not personally familiar with the program, but Petco accepts food donations at some of their stores. It looks like the stores work with local organizations to provide the donated food to needy families. This link provides info on stores by state.

http://www.petco.com/petco_Page_PC_foundationfoodbank_Nav_1483.aspx

The link also lists the local groups that partner with the stores if you prefer to go directly to the charity.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
What a really neat idea.

We have memorialized our four dogs that are no longer alive with stones in a small "pet garden" (no cremains, just stones). Also, we have personalized "dog shaped" frames in our bed room that hold 5 or 6 small pictures; one for each of the four, plus a "dog to remember" frame that features all 4 plus a stray that we cared for briefly until he ran away.

Sorry for your pet's death, it is always sad.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Check with local Food Pantries. I know that at the local pantry where I have been on the board and a past president we receive and distribute food just for the reasons you are concerned. Local bands have a night where they raise funds for both the Food Pantry and the pets, as well.

I am sure it will be greatly appreciated and thank you for thinking of this during your time of loss.

Reaction Score
We donated our dog's things to our local animal shelter. They always appreciate it. If you have old towels or blankets they love getting those too.

Reaction Score
What a really neat idea.

We have memorialized our four dogs that are no longer alive with stones in a small "pet garden" (no cremains, just stones). Also, we have personalized "dog shaped" frames in our bed room that hold 5 or 6 small pictures; one for each of the four, plus a "dog to remember" frame that features all 4 plus a stray that we cared for briefly until he ran away.

Sorry for your pet's death, it is always sad.
When our first dog died, the vets office gave us a clay print of her paw print. We still have it.
She passed around this time a few years ago. Yellow lab, she was the sweetest thing!

ChicagoGG

Windy City Kitty
Reaction Score
Sincere condolences on your loss. As Ice said, your town food pantry may have a pet section, I know our town does. Or your vet may know a family who has a special diet needs cat and might be struggling with the extra expense.

Reaction Score
So sorry. Pet owners know our little guys are members of the family.

As for the food, I know that the Whole Foods in Glastonbury has a pet food bin at the front of the store for folks who need help feeding their furry friends. If you live nearby, that would work. If not, maybe they can give you the group's contact information.

Reaction Score
Sorry to hear of your loss, no matter where you or what you donate, food ,blankets or time , no one appreciate more than our furry family members. R.I.P. Marshmallow

Reaction Score
Thank you, all, for the kind words and suggestions.

I called our vet and they recommended a rescue organization here in town. I am going to follow up with the local food pantry as well. Being a prescription food, it might not be a good choice for just any cat, so I am leaning toward the rescue organization who can get the food to the right animal.

Zorro

Nuestro Zorro Amigo
Reaction Score
Good idea. I hate to say it, but just dropping it into a collection box would probably just get it to people who want it, not who necessarily need it, which is what you want.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom