OT - is the younger sister always better? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

OT - is the younger sister always better?

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Here's another possibility, beyond just the exposure of watching an older sibling. Competing against an older sibling in various sports, in the yard, the driveway, the basement, etc. can certainly push a younger sibling to develop ahead of the curve compared to peers if they aren't doing the same.

Bliss

Mizzou Ballyhoo
Reaction Score
korda23.jpg

Bliss

Mizzou Ballyhoo
Reaction Score
Previous post shows the golfing sisters, Jessica and Nelly Korda. Nelly, the younger, appears to be the better golfer IMO.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
I'd guess its close to 50/50, we just hear about the younger sibling more than the older one. If the younger sister is a star, you're more likely to hear about how her siblings also played collegiate/professional basketball even if they were not top rate players. Compare that to if you're the older sibling who is a star, it's rare that fans are aware have a younger sibling who is playing unless she's a high profile recruit. Perfect example of this is the Ogwumikes...they have 2 younger sisters who are nowhere near as good as Nneka/Chiney and we never hear about them. If Nneka/Chiney were younger, we'd probably hear about their older basketball siblings and how it's all in the family and what not, but instead we consistently hear about the 2 Ogwumike sisters.

Reaction Score
Kelly and Coco Miller, identical twins from Minnesota, who played for Georgia and were the only sisters to jointly win the Sullivan Award.

Looking ahead at the pipeline:

Diamond and Denim DeShields. Yes, my friends, there is another one coming from this uber-athletic and colorful family.

Anastasia (Annie) Hayes, freshman point guard at Tennessee. Younger sisters, Aislyn (2019) and Alasia (2020) play for perennial powerhouse, Riverview High, in Murfreesboro, TN. The youngest, Acasia (2022), will be a freshman at Riverview next year. Acasia is considered the best of the three younger sisters at this point.

All of the younger sisters mentioned above already hold multiple offers from top D-1 colleges. So, barring injuries or loss of interest, we will see them all on the court soon.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Kelly and Coco Miller, identical twins from Minnesota, who played for Georgia and were the only sisters to jointly win the Sullivan Award.

Looking ahead at the pipeline:

Diamond and Denim DeShields. Yes, my friends, there is another one coming from this uber-athletic and colorful family.

Anastasia (Annie) Hayes, freshman point guard at Tennessee. Younger sisters, Aislyn (2019) and Alasia (2020) play for perennial powerhouse, Riverview High, in Murfreesboro, TN. The youngest, Acasia (2022), will be a freshman at Riverview next year. Acasia is considered the best of the three younger sisters at this point.

All of the younger sisters mentioned above already hold multiple offers from top D-1 colleges. So, barring injuries or loss of interest, we will see them all on the court soon.
Denim is part of the fabric of the DeShields family. She's cut from the same cloth. :D

ochoopsfan

OC Hoops Fan
Reaction Score
Previous posters mentioned the Ogwumike sisters, Nneka and Chiney, but there are 2 younger sisters at Rice this year. Neither are close to the top two.
Another poster mentioned The Lister sisters Jaz and Cin. They are identical twins. I dont think we are talking minutes older.

Reaction Score
Previous post shows the golfing sisters, Jessica and Nelly Korda. Nelly, the younger, appears to be the better golfer IMO.
I have no idea why Nelly would appear to be better. Jessica has 4 LPGA wins and is on the 2017 Solheim Cup team while Nelly is a rookie and has no accomplishments as yet.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
The Mabrey sisters. Too early to call, as I don't think the youngest is in college yet.

That's right. Dara will be a senior in high school this year (the class of 2018).
Also in the ND community, there is senior-to-be Katherine Westbeld and recently named Top 25 2020 player by Prospects Nation, younger sister Madeline Westbeld, a 6'2" wing out of Ohio.

From the South Bend area, PG Daly Sullivan -- Class of 2017 -- of St. Joe's High School, was ranked the 77th best recruit in the country by Prospects Nation, 154th by the BlueStar Report and 190th by The Collegiate Girls Basketball Report. She'll attend Mount St. Mary's next year. Her younger sister, Keegan, is also ranked in the Top 25 players in 2020 by Prospects Nation and has been getting offers by numerous P5 schools.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
Cutting to the heart of the question - why do we have this impression?
Having two daughters, and having coached female youth sports (primarily softball, but a little basketball and soccer), I do agree that younger sister has an advantage. Doesn't mean that the younger sister has the talent, physical ability or interest, but, she has a big advantage in exposure.
Younger sister has sat in the gym, on the stands or sidelines, watching the older sister - absorbing the game, the skills, the excitement and energy. She's tried to emulate her big sister, maybe even practicing free throws or throwing a softball around with her, kicking the soccer ball.
She's absorbed the rules and customs of the game, some of the expectations, how the coaches behave and the officials "see things".

Not always true, of course - circumstances may intervene, or little sister may instinctively resist the older sibling's path. But, there is a big advantage in potential exposure, at a younger age, if little sister wants to take advantage of it.
I agree

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
Bonner over McCall

Azura over DaShena

Abby over Emily
Stevens, Im not so sure... DaShena wasnt a slouch in HS or College, we're not done with Z's college yet

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
Some examples of where this wasn't true:

Brianna Jones is better than younger sister Stephanie
Kayla McBride is better than her younger sister who played for Indiana
Dewanna Bonner is better than Erica McCall
Tori McCoy is better than her younger sister

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Previous posters mentioned the Ogwumike sisters, Nneka and Chiney, but there are 2 younger sisters at Rice this year. Neither are close to the top two.
Another poster mentioned The Lister sisters Jaz and Cin. They are identical twins. I dont think we are talking minutes older.
The younger O sisters lack the height of Nneka and Chiney. I think they are about 3"-5" shorter.

Bliss

Mizzou Ballyhoo
Reaction Score
I have no idea why Nelly would appear to be better. Jessica has 4 LPGA wins and is on the 2017 Solheim Cup team while Nelly is a rookie and has no accomplishments as yet.

I've watched them both play on TV and past accomplishments aside, I think Nelly looks smoother and more confident. Just an observation.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dixiedog

Top Bottom