OT - Iowa State @ Cincinnati | The Boneyard

OT - Iowa State @ Cincinnati

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
This is a big one. We all understand that the AAC is a terrible conference relative to where we've been, and one game will not and should not do much to change that perception.

But there's a big difference between playing in a bad league and playing in a league that is barren of any legitimate competition. And, while one game isn't going to change the intrinsic value of what Cincinnati is as a team, the results of tonight's game matters greatly to the selection committee.

If UConn, Cincinnati, and SMU all finish the season at 15-3 in conference play, you want those records to be viewed as a product of them being good teams and not them beating poor competition. Obviously, the truth will fall somewhere in the middle, but if tonight's game can tilt the arrow slightly in favor of the AAC, it could be the difference between a seed line or two in March.

Tulsa and Memphis are OK. Houston and Temple are merely not atrocious. The conference needs the three at the top to be considered great teams independent of their affiliation. It's a lot easier to make that case when Cincinnati has beaten George Washington, VCU, and Iowa State, SMU has beaten Michigan and Gonzaga, and UConn has beaten Michigan, Ohio State, Texas, and Georgetown.

So, while the holiday season has clearly exposed my lack of a life, I did find the time to write a few paragraphs about the importance of an early-season college basketball game, and if I write much more I will have convinced myself that it determines the fate of the free world.

Cincinnati is favored by 4.5.

tykurez

For Your Health
Reaction Score
If UConn, Cincinnati, and SMU all finish the season at 15-3 in conference play ...

Please? I mean, we all thought UConn would be beating up on this conference the day it was conceived. Instead, it's been 10 years since the Huskies have been conference regular season champs and nearly 5 since they've won a conference tourney. I would love nothing more than to see that record in conference play ... even if it means the rest of the teams have a down year.

But yes, I agree that tonight is a big game for the conference ... you always want to see the rest of the teams do well that you are associated with.

Except Syracuse - always.

BUConn10

Artist formerly known as BUHusky10
Reaction Score
Good game so far. ISU started the game 13-2 but Cinci went on a run of its own to close the early gap but 28-20 Cyclones now.

Reaction Score
Some really poor offensive possessions by Cincinnati these last few minutes. 41-30 ISU at the U3 timeout.

Reaction Score
This has been a really fun second half. Iowa State 64-60 a little more than halfway through the second half.

UChusky916

Making the board a little less insufferable
Reaction Score
Some of these bull$h!t calls going against Cinci remind me a lot of our game vs MD. Phantom blown calls and big momentum-killing calls. Hope the AAC bias isn't something to worry about, but it seem to be the case early.

Reaction Score
Some of these bull$h!t calls going against Cinci remind me a lot of our game vs MD. Phantom blown calls and big momentum-killing calls. Hope the AAC bias isn't something to worry about, but it seem to be the case early.

Rowdy crowd, too. Cincinnati up one at the under-4.

UChusky916

Reaction Score
The bad calls against Cinci continue even as they take the lead... Cinci lucky that Iowa State is missing their free throws (where as MD made them vs us)

Reaction Score
This kid Jacob Evans has come out of nowhere. Apparently he's only a freshman.

UChusky916

Reaction Score
Niang is a NPOY candidate. Beasting on the inside and can also hit the 3.

RipCity

Absolute Savage
Reaction Score
So Cincy. Our boy Caupain looked great on that last possession.

Niang is great offensively, but he's a bad defender. Stays flat footed the whole game.

Reaction Score
Damn. Talk about a stomach punch. That's two heart-breakers now that Cincinnati has lost at the buzzer.

Reaction Score
Mich St tied with Oakland in Auburn Hills - on the brink of OT.

Reaction Score
I hate my life.

Tough loss. Hang in there. The last possession and how it played out wasn't what I would expect from such an experienced team. Both Cincinnati and UConn will be looking at SMU for their big signature win going forward. Beating each other now will probably be considered a good win at best in the selection committees eyes.

Disappointing...

kobe

Power Conference Enjoyer (Big 12)
Reaction Score
Tough loss. Hang in there. The last possession and how it played out wasn't what I would expect from such an experienced team. Both Cincinnati and UConn will be looking at SMU for their big signature win going forward. Beating each other now will probably be considered a good win at best in the selection committees eyes.

Disappointing...
I still think this team has the best chance to advance to the second weekend of our last three teams. The #34 offense in the KenPom ratings isn't something I thought I'd see.

We play you guys at the end of January, will Brimah be back by then?

Reaction Score
I still think this team has the best chance to advance to the second weekend of our last three teams. The #34 offense in the KenPom ratings isn't something I thought I'd see.

We play you guys at the end of January, will Brimah be back by then?

Most likely Brimah will be out on the 28th. You guys have SMU on the road 1/7. You will have to knock off a (1-3) seed to get a S16 ticket. It is possible no doubt. A (6-11 seed) is the most likely seed for both UConn and Cincinnati. That is assuming we both get in.

I know you don't follow UConn to closely compared to all the great experts here...but what do you think of Jim Calhoun's take on our team?

"I really like Miller because he's a really tough kid," Calhoun said. "He's got to have less lulls in his game, because he's so much better than he realizes, in my opinion. I like when Daniel [Hamilton] is running the team. He didn't have to do it the other day, but that's very valuable to us. I think [freshman] Steve Enoch is going to be really good. … I just like what they're doing. I like the fact that we seem to be identifying who we are, and even though we have older players, for a lot of them it's a new system. We're getting there. I like the fact we attacked. It's very important that you attack other folks because we're good enough to do that."

The idea of Hamilton running the team? Any thoughts on how this would work? Maybe go Hamilton, Purvis, Gibbs (or Calhoun), Miller with Facey/Enoch or Nolan at the 5.

Reaction Score
Most likely Brimah will be out on the 28th. You guys have SMU on the road 1/7. You will have to knock off a (1-3) seed to get a S16 ticket. It is possible no doubt. A (6-11 seed) is the most likely seed for both UConn and Cincinnati. That is assuming we both get in.

I know you don't follow UConn to closely compared to all the great experts here...but what do you think of Jim Calhoun's take on our team?

"I really like Miller because he's a really tough kid," Calhoun said. "He's got to have less lulls in his game, because he's so much better than he realizes, in my opinion. I like when Daniel [Hamilton] is running the team. He didn't have to do it the other day, but that's very valuable to us. I think [freshman] Steve Enoch is going to be really good. … I just like what they're doing. I like the fact that we seem to be identifying who we are, and even though we have older players, for a lot of them it's a new system. We're getting there. I like the fact we attacked. It's very important that you attack other folks because we're good enough to do that."

The idea of Hamilton running the team? Any thoughts on how this would work? Maybe go Hamilton, Purvis, Gibbs (or Calhoun), Miller with Facey/Enoch or Nolan at the 5.
He pretty much runs the team already. Best playmaker and can get into the lane pretty easily. I like the Adams Gibbs Purvis Dham Miller/Facey lineup in some situations. Hard to guard and very quick

Reaction Score
He pretty much runs the team already. Best playmaker and can get into the lane pretty easily. I like the Adams Gibbs Purvis Dham Miller/Facey lineup in some situations. Hard to guard and very quick

As "King of the Chessboard ;)" it seems running the team could be the answer. Jim Calhoun may have a good point. If Hamilton is running the team and breaking down defenders do you think it would be best to surround him with shooters? That's why I was thinking Hamilton on the court with Purvis and any combo of Omar/Gibbs in the back court. I wouldn't mind starting Gibbs but seeing long stretches with Hamilton, Purvis, Omar, Miller and the Facey/SE/PN trio up front. Rodney could guard the 1 if necessary (he could guard the 1-3 positions). Omar has been very serviceable on defense this year. So Omar could guard the 2. That leaves us back to the status quo with DHAM, Miller and our three bigs splitting minutes. Omar/Gibbs fight for minutes at the 2. Adams continues to grow (with hard work) as the season progresses without rushing him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MTSuitsky

Top Bottom