OT: Impressions of The New Fall Season TV Shows | The Boneyard

OT: Impressions of The New Fall Season TV Shows

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Every fall we records episodes of the new series on the now Minor Networks and TNT, Audience etc. Then we watch them and decide whether to hit the delete Record Entire Series. More and more it has been Delete, fueled by two thinks: hackneyed dialogue and wooden actors and actresses. Use to be 3 things: the content to commercial ratio and how tedious it was to fast forward through them.

Our first casualty of the season ? CBS's The FBI. Female lead cannot, absolutely cannot act and the script could haave been ripped from a comic book. I like the genre, but this is awful. Seem to have the idea that cool simulated disasters will carry it.

Oh yeah, this is the only one watched so far.

Anyone have an early favorite or a quick 4 Rotten Tomatoes?

Please, please do not come on to say you abandoned all but PBS 2 decades ago. Please.

Reaction Score
I like The FBI. But I looooooooved Rookie Blue that was on ABC every summer for 5 years. She was the lead in that show and I've loved her ever since. To me, Magnum PI is the worst.

Reaction Score
New Amsterdam is my choice for the best new show so far. So much stuffs in the first episode. Can they sustain the excitement? Only time will tell. Agreed that FBI and Magnum PI can definitely improve with future episodes but I have my doubts!!!

Drumguy

Funny, now I mostly play guitar
Reaction Score
Single Parents and Million Little things were "no"s for us. New Amsterdam and Manifest are better than expected. I'm giving Magnum 1 or 2 more shows but not hopeful - also it hurts to watch those beautiful cars destroyed!

Reaction Score
I like Good Doctor which is in season 2 with good reviews last year. 911 caught my attention with a two week opening episode. Looking to see if Jennifer love Hewitt will have a more of a major roll in coming weeks.

Reaction Score
911 is so overtly unbelievable that it makes my eyes bleed, but I probably see the show through eyes different than most people. My wife liked Million little things. No "must see" new shows for me as of yet.

SCGamecock

Carolina Sandlapper
Reaction Score
New Amsterdam is my choice for the best new show so far. So much stuffs in the first episode. Can they sustain the excitement? Only time will tell. Agreed that FBI and Magnum PI can definitely improve with future episodes but I have my doubts!!!

I was JUST coming here to post about New Amsterdam. The pilot was great I thought. I'll be tuned into that and Manifest this fall. Manifest also had a good pilot and that plot is going to be something to behold I can already tell.

I also agree about 9-1-1. It is definitely disaster but the characters are so likable that I continue watching and I don't really think it's that bad of a show, even if it's outrageous. Station 19 is another Firefighter/EMT focused show and it's far more realistic. I like Station 19 as well.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
None of the new shows interested me enough to even try them.

Plus, I've been burned so many times. A new show seems decent, I'm kinda getting into it, then it gets cancelled after only 2 or 3 episodes. So many new shows bite the dust right away that it hardly seems worth giving them a shot.

I'm a big fan of Missy Peregrym. I've liked her since she starred in the gymnastics dramedy "Stick It."

Reaction Score
I really enjoy the reality of Magnum PI; I especially him destroying 2 100,000 vehicles and borrowing a 200,000 dollar vehicle from the same person, reality, just reality!

Reaction Score
Every fall we records episodes of the new series on the now Minor Networks and TNT, Audience etc. Then we watch them and decide whether to hit the delete Record Entire Series. More and more it has been Delete, fueled by two thinks: hackneyed dialogue and wooden actors and actresses. Use to be 3 things: the content to commercial ratio and how tedious it was to fast forward through them.

Our first casualty of the season? CBS's The FBI. Female lead cannot, absolutely cannot act and the script could have been ripped from a comic book. I like the genre, but this is awful. Seem to have the idea that cool simulated disasters will carry it.

Oh yeah, this is the only one watched so far.

Does anyone have an early favorite or a quick 4 Rotten Tomatoes?

Please, please do not come on to say you abandoned all but PBS 2 decades ago. Please.
Barbara Hall (writer of Madame Secretary) has been funded for a series on the CIA. With her "inside" government help she has a series on the CIA that could be fun. Something like the long lost and defunct "E-Ring" short lived series. It got too close to reality for someone.
Murphy Brown during it's initial run was bad. An aged cast doesn't make this one much better.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
Don't watch any of them. Used to, years ago. Actually liked Murphy Brown in the day. No desire to resume watching.

Survivor and Amazing Race, which is apparently coming back, are the only 2 network non-informational shows we watch. Did watch Designated Survivor until it was cancelled, it had its moments.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Add me to the list of people who enjoyed New Amsterdam and Manifest. Having said that, it appears that Manifest may be taking a darker turn, and if that happens, I will stop watching. I don't mind some drama, but taking it to a dark place will ruin my enjoyment for it.

Side note - a few years back when Quantico came out, I loved it. Following the lives of a bunch of new recruits in the series - it was a great idea. Then BAM. Terror attack. Blame one of the recruits. Suddenly it's no longer a show about the goings-on of the newbies and how they worked their way thru spy school. It tanked in the ratings and I (along with many) stopped watching it.

Similar with Lost - great start for several seasons, then sharp turns in to weird places, and I stopped watching (as did much of the rest of America).

When you start out a successful program with a certain feel and set of plotlines, turning it on it's ear is NEVER a good idea.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
I tried Single Parents (theoretically a warm hearted comedy with cute kids) . 30 seconds later, I was washing my eyes out. Haven't had the courage to try anything else. The only network show that I really like is 'Elementary' and was happily surprised they will have a season 7.

Reaction Score
Personally, I'm still in mourning for Timeless. I don't see anything on the horizon that inspires the enthusiasm in me that that show did.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
I have to give New Amsterdam a second shot; saw 15 minutes of it. While I can suspend reality generally, I find the driving premise here maybe a bridge too far. But 911 I like so far; forgot about it in starting this thread. Moves at a good pace and you can dance to it.

Wally East

Posting via the Speed Force
Reaction Score
Tried Single Parents. Like some of the cast but I generally don't like shows where the children talk like adults.

Tried Cool Kids for an episode. It was truly terrible.

God Friended Me was okay enough to watch again.

Murphy Brown was worth watching.

Magnum was awful.

Manifest I turned off before they even got on the plane. Emotionally manipulative shows aren't for me.

I'll try the reboot of Charmed.

It hasn't been a good crop of new network shows.

Network shows I do watch: The Good Place, Bob's Burgers, The Flash (I mean, obviously :D), Supergirl, Legends of Tomorrow, Arrow, Speechless, Fresh off the Boat, The Goldbergs, The Simpsons, Riverdale.

Of those, I'd recommend The Good Place, Bob's Burgers, Speechless, Fresh off the Boat, The Goldbergs, and Supergirl.

the script could haave been ripped from a comic book.

Rocky, this isn't the insult you think it is :D

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Haven't watched any of the big network shows in years. If we hear of something that is good for a few seasons, the wife and I will binge watch it after it's been around for awhile.

Reaction Score
Add me to the list of people who enjoyed New Amsterdam and Manifest. Having said that, it appears that Manifest may be taking a darker turn, and if that happens, I will stop watching. I don't mind some drama, but taking it to a dark place will ruin my enjoyment for it.

Side note - a few years back when Quantico came out, I loved it. Following the lives of a bunch of new recruits in the series - it was a great idea. Then BAM. Terror attack. Blame one of the recruits. Suddenly it's no longer a show about the goings-on of the newbies and how they worked their way thru spy school. It tanked in the ratings and I (along with many) stopped watching it.

Similar with Lost - great start for several seasons, then sharp turns in to weird places, and I stopped watching (as did much of the rest of America).

When you start out a successful program with a certain feel and set of plotlines, turning it on it's ear is NEVER a good idea.

Quantico was so good when it started and the writers literally wrote their way out of jobs. That show had people hooked at first....and it faded fast.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I watched the second one last night. It was interesting. It just seems like the lead character pointlessly walked around the hospital, while people ask him irrelevant questions with great urgency. He does stare soulfully into camera though, so that keeps him busy.

Seriously, it was okay. I have to go back and watch the first episode which probably gives background that make the scenes more weighty.

I like The Good Doctor better but it is worth a watch to see where it goes.

Reaction Score
Survivor is back on network TV for its season # 36 (?).

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Network shows I do watch: The Good Place, Bob's Burgers, The Flash (I mean, obviously :D)
I like The Flash, but they need to more than have Barry pout for a season because he can't figure out how to beat the latest villain/threat. Best episode last season is where Barry convinces Ralph not to murder a super villain, which causes Ralph to be killed by that villain. Good stuff.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
I watched the second one last night. It was interesting. It just seems like the lead character pointlessly walked around the hospital, while people ask him irrelevant questions with great urgency. He does stare soulfully into camera though, so that keeps him busy.

Whating second episode now and so far you are spot on. My 8 year old sister died here only goes so far. And oh yeah, I don't have much time to make this the best model hospital in the world. I have the curse of needing a credible plot line; the wife who only spot watches for the warm and fuzzy relationships is un bothered by plot line or script.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Haven't watched any of the big network shows in years. If we hear of something that is good for a few seasons, the wife and I will binge watch it after it's been around for awhile.

I use to do that, but sometimes you've missed it and it is nowhere to be found, except on CD or maybe "channel" on demand. Binge, however, is great for keeping continuity, especially as Ye Olde short term memory slips away.

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
Tried Single Parents. Like some of the cast but I generally don't like shows where the children talk like adults.

Tried Cool Kids for an episode. It was truly terrible.

God Friended Me was okay enough to watch again.

Murphy Brown was worth watching.

Magnum was awful.

Manifest I turned off before they even got on the plane. Emotionally manipulative shows aren't for me.

I'll try the reboot of Charmed.

It hasn't been a good crop of new network shows.

Network shows I do watch: The Good Place, Bob's Burgers, The Flash (I mean, obviously :D), Supergirl, Legends of Tomorrow, Arrow, Speechless, Fresh off the Boat, The Goldbergs, The Simpsons, Riverdale.

Of those, I'd recommend The Good Place, Bob's Burgers, Speechless, Fresh off the Boat, The Goldbergs, and Supergirl.

I like manifest so far. But if you don’t get to episode 2 I also understand. I still think the whole premise would be better as a movie than an on going show

Rocky, this isn't the insult you think it is :D

I just gave up on all the CW comic shows.

They just were so bad. Even arrow I’ve lost faith in.

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score

Heroes has the same thing.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom