OT - Impressions of Bridgeport | Page 2 | The Boneyard

OT - Impressions of Bridgeport

Reaction Score
I enjoyed yesterday's games with my boys. It was our first visit to Webster Bank Arena, and my impressions were mixed.

The good: the locals were teriffic to an individual. Having to get to my father in law's birthday party late afternoon, I asked the local police officer to guide us to the lot that would afford us the quickest I95 access upon departure, and he did so with patience, thoughtfulness and politeness. Next, the parking lot attendant cheerfully obliged my request to park directly next to the exit. On our walk to the arena, police and security aloke wished us a good time. Finally, the concession workers, although slow, were exceedingly pleasant and friendly, as were the stadium ushers.

The bad: the arena itself felt extremely tired and almost depressing. Although all seats seemed to be good seats, row spacing is cramped as is the concession concourse. There was great fan energy, but I suspect that the facility of Gampel, Mohegan or even XL with the same fans would have produced more electric energy and a better spectator experience. I only conpare to these alternate venues as they are the others where we saw UConn play this year.

Interestingly, I felt Webster Bank Arena to be the mirror opposite of Mohegan - lousy facility but great staffers versus regrettable staffers and a great facility at Mohegan. Perhaps Gampel is my personal sweet spot.

I know the question asked about Bridgeport observations generally, so thanks for allowing my to co-opt and share inpressions about our venue experience.

Reaction Score
http://www.city-data.com/crime/crime-Bridgeport-Connecticut.html
All I know about Bridgeport is what I see driving by on I95. Not very impressive. If the crime stats in the link are correct it's a pretty nasty place. Although there has been some improvement in the violent crime rate, it's still well above the national average.
Bridgeport dropped out of the top 100 most dangerous city list this year. It was #96 last year. I-95 doesn't show much. Bridgeport is heavily a residential city right now.

That chart is up to 2015. Notice some crimes dropped quite a bit, such as assault and auto theft. Arson, as well. The chart you posted says there's massive improvement.

Reaction Score
As to Bridgeport, glad to hear it is improving. We visited the light house that they showed on TV (Blackstone Is. I think it is called) and there were drug deals going on in the parking lot (about 7 years ago, IIRC).
Probably Fayerweather Island. There's a very expensive seafront mansion being built nearby in Black Rock (I think) last I saw.

CTyankee

Proud member of King Geno's Court
Reaction Score
I enjoyed yesterday's games with my boys. It was our first visit to Webster Bank Arena, and my impressions were mixed.

The bad: the arena itself felt extremely tired and almost depressing. Although all seats seemed to be good seats, row spacing is cramped as is the concession concourse. There was great fan energy, but I suspect that the facility of Gampel, Mohegan or even XL with the same fans would have produced more electric energy and a better spectator experience. I only conpare to these alternate venues as they are the others where we saw UConn play this year.

Whoa.... Having been numerous times to both Gampel and Hartford, I find this unbelievable... Both of those venues, with all due respect are old, outdated, and totally lacking in any amenities. Plus you can get a decent meal at the arena in Bridgeport, something unheard of inside Gampel and Hartford...

CTyankee

Proud member of King Geno's Court
Reaction Score
As a Connecticut resident, not of Bridgeport, but from Fairfield County, I am appalled at this thread... We all (most of us) live in Connecticut... Bridgeport is one of a number of cities suffering from problems, Hartford and New Haven to name another couple... We should be proud and happy to host two parts of this championship in Connecticut... I have been to Trenton, to Philadelphia, to Lousiville, to Dayton, etc, other cities where the Regionals have been held and Bridgeport is no worse or better than any of them... For us it's closer, certainly more convenient and... if you don't like Bridgeport, don't come there... There certainly seem to be enough fans who want to see UConn play in Bridgeport to make up for your loss...

Replicant

Nexus 6 Leader
Reaction Score
My impressions of Bridgeport besides the pure bliss of reaching #110 at WBA...Bridgeport is a visually unattractive city from a purely architectural standpoint and Chloe Pavlech is a stunningly beautiful young woman!

Reaction Score
Bridgeport hit the bottom of the barrel in the late 80s - early 90s like so many cities in the US. It's gone uphill a bit since then, though it's no paradise. A lot of its current reputation still draws from that nadir.

I also feel it gets more contempt due to its lack of any "claims to fame." Hartford is the capital and (for people of this board) the site of many UConn games. New Haven has a vibrant downtown around Yale.

But for the average resident, Bridgeport is a better place to live than either Hartford or New Haven. Especially Hartford, which is clearly the most decayed city in the state. Its worst neighborhoods aren't as bad as their worst neighborhoods. The relative crime rates for the three cities reflect this. As does its population history, which is less grim than Hartford or New Haven.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dixiedog

Top Bottom