OT: Impossibly beautiful music | Page 4 | The Boneyard

OT: Impossibly beautiful music

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
Not a commercial recording I can link - but - last Monday at the Gaslight - a mix of "Imagine" and "Hallelujah", performed by Lisa Otey (keyboard and vocal), Heather Hardy (violin) and Diane Van Deurzen (vocal).

They are part of the Desert Diva's, a group of 7 women of a "certain age" that perform concerts together. This was their 80's show - but the duet of Imagine and Hallelujah was the best "song" and one of the top moments of the show.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
voilà

Did you just change your avatar? Alicia Vikander from Ex Machina, yes? Interesting film and talented actress. Sorry for the thread drift.

Reaction Score
Two of my favorite from Michael Hoppe:

This one has Tim Wheater, flautist, and friend, who also had the distinction of being eaten by Anthony Hopkins for a dinner party in "Red Dragon", "Lilies of the Lake" from the album "The Yearning: Romances by Alto flute:

and this my second favorite from the album "Poets", Romances for Cello:
Michael Hoppé - Some Other Time

And if I had to choose a third favorite, try "The Unforgetting Heart":
Michael Hoppe: The unforgetting heart

Last edited:

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
If you have never heard this song, give a listen, such a beautiful ode to life:

I first heard this song over 40 years ago, I think first by Bette Midler. I never knew it was a John Prine song.

Reaction Score
I first heard this song over 40 years ago, I think first by Bette Midler. I never knew it was a John Prine song.

Yea, he did that one on his debut album in '70 or '71 IIRC. They were some other superb gems on that album too - "Paradise", "Illegal Smile", "Angel From Montgomery" etc. He's still somewhat of an unknown American treasure IMO.

Bama fan

" As long as you lend a hand"
Reaction Score
Two of my favorite from Michael Hoppe:

This one has Tim Wheater, flautist, and friend, who also had the distinction of being eaten by Anthony Hopkins for a dinner party in "Red Dragon", "Lilies of the Lake" from the album "The Yearning: Romances by Alto flute:

and this my second favorite from the album "Poets", Romances for Cello:
Michael Hoppé - Some Other Time

And if I had to choose a third favorite, try "The Unforgetting Heart":
Michael Hoppe: The unforgetting heart

So your friend obviously has good taste, but did he taste good? Being eaten at a dinner party, even by Anthony Hopkins, is a distinction, but a dubious distinction at best. ;)

Reaction Score
So your friend obviously has good taste, but did he taste good? Being eaten at a dinner party, even by Anthony Hopkins, is a distinction, but a dubious distinction at best. ;)
If you watch the movie, you will see the guests entirely enjoyed him, though they had no idea it was the flautist they were enjoying!

Reaction Score
Bette Midler does it too

Yea, BigBoote mentioned that a few posts in front of you.

John Prine wrote the song, and did it on his debut album way back in the early 70's.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Probably any song by this artist would work. She's been around a while. I don't know that she has a hit per se or signature song. This is just the one I happened to grab. I think she does a lot of traditional Celtic songs.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
I think this band is virtually unknown. I stumbled on them thanks to Pandora. The singer's voice is wonderful.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
A bit of an odd tune but mesmerizing. The band went in a very different direction after this album.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom