OT: Ice quakes | Page 2 | The Boneyard

OT: Ice quakes

Reaction Score
Sunday night I was sitting downstairs by myself when I heard a loud thud upstairs, like a piece of large furniture falling over. I rushed upstairs and my daughter was fine...went into the bedroom and the wife was half asleep, had no idea what I was talking about when I asked her about the loud boom. Guess it was one of these.
In our house that’s just the 7# cat jumping off her nap bed. We couldn’t believe such a little ninja cat could make such a ruckus.

Fairfield_1st

Sitting on this Barstool talking like a damn fool
Reaction Score
I've heard 3 of them already tonight. Must be due to the melting and refreezing of the ice.

Reaction Score
NBC Connecticut channel 30 had a whole story about the ice quakes. Guess a lot of people reported a huge boom at that time. Heard one too around 11:30 like loads of people. I too jumped 4 feet in the air while lying down and felt like a tree fell on my house. I guess ice quakes are rare in ct but frequent in Northern New England. It happens when the temp drops really fast.

Reaction Score
Just joking. We had a big branch bounce off the roof at night in an ice storm some years ago. Ba-BOOM-thud. My wife levitated at least 3-4 feet from the bed. Led to a massive campaign to remove trees from the lot. So I appreciate the worries. Not to mention the roof repairs.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I heard a loud boom around midnight I thought it was either the damn breaking or a tree falling on my house. Turns out it was probably one of these. Anyone else catch one?

Me too. Our house shook.

I ended up going outside to look at our roof.

I swear I thought part of the roof collapsed.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom