OT: I Survived The Quake | The Boneyard

OT: I Survived The Quake

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Thanks for asking. 5.8 on Richter. 6 miles from a little town called Lincoln about 70 miles northeast of Missoula. Nobody hurt. Early TV report today said lots of groceries in the aisles at the local grocery store and SEVERAL of the bars reported bottles off of shelves. Several? The town has 1000 souls in it! Cracks me up.:confused::D

Reaction Score
Thanks for asking. 5.8 on Richter. 6 miles from a little town called Lincoln about 70 miles northeast of Missoula. Nobody hurt. Early TV report today said lots of groceries in the aisles at the local grocery store and SEVERAL of the bars reported bottles off of shelves. Several? The town has 1000 souls in it! Cracks me up.:confused::D
The one business that does exceptionally with depressions, recessions, good times or bad---have lots of bottles on their shelves--that is why there are so many.

Did you find yourself shaking, rocking and rolling?? That is a pretty big Richter!! Think if it hit a California town--major nets wouldn't be speaking of anything else---
Stay safe Rocky---

Reaction Score
It woke all sorts of people up, but not me.
I saw a 15 second spot on TV---30 people killed?? showed damage- then gone.
Boy you Montana people are important to the American scheme.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
I saw a 15 second spot on TV---30 people killed?? showed damage- then gone.
Boy you Montana people are important to the American scheme.

30 people! No, no - no injury at all but broken grocery and liquor bottles in hamlet Lincoln close to epicenter. I suspect it being 230 miles from Yellowstone had people taking notice, since Yellowstone was very seismic active last month too.

Reaction Score
30 people! No, no - no injury at all but broken grocery and liquor bottles in hamlet Lincoln close to epicenter. I suspect it being 230 miles from Yellowstone had people taking notice, since Yellowstone was very seismic active last month too.
When that happens you won't be writing about it.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
I take comfort in that; you, on the other hand, .... ;)
Glad you're safe. I slept through two quakes within a year about two years ago. One while visiting relatives just north of San Francisco, although I woke at 7:30 in the morning just about when it struck so maybe that's what woke me, and the other in Eilat Israel. Both were about 4.4, or in California, a minor blip on the Richter. My son's in laws had their house in Fullerton CA pretty messed up by a quake three years ago.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
The one business that does exceptionally with depressions, recessions, good times or bad---have lots of bottles on their shelves--that is why there are so many.

Did you find yourself shaking, rocking and rolling?? That is a pretty big Richter!! Think if it hit a California town--major nets wouldn't be speaking of anything else---
Stay safe Rocky---
The Richter Scale is not linear but logarithmic - so 5.8 is actually pretty weak. An increase of 1.0 on the scale corresponds to about a 30X increase in force. You certainly can feel 5.8 but except for unfortunate circumstances or being at the epicenter it is unlikely to be terribly destructive or life threatening.

Reaction Score

RockyMT - I rode through there last September on my way back from Glacier- wonderful country, just great for us serious photographers!

Reaction Score
I take comfort in that; you, on the other hand, .... ;)
If it's the big one, I won't last much longer than you, even though I'm in CT. And the rest of the world will be shortly afterward.

Reaction Score
The Richter Scale is not linear but logarithmic - so 5.8 is actually pretty weak. An increase of 1.0 on the scale corresponds to about a 30X increase in force. You certainly can feel 5.8 but except for unfortunate circumstances or being at the epicenter it is unlikely to be terribly destructive or life threatening.
Felt a lot of much smaller ones in San Diego. Sometimes the only clues were the blurry lights on the instrument panels of our training devices (simulators for sonar stations).

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
If it's the big one, I won't last much longer than you, even though I'm in CT. And the rest of the world will be shortly afterward.

That's what they tell us. Every few years somebody thinks he or she can outdo the last documentary on the nest Yellowstone big one. Then it gets shown about a billion times on 5 or 6 cable channels - at least out here.

Reaction Score

Depends on where it occurs. A 5.8 in in Los Angeles will probably not kill anyone, and cause only limited disruption to a small area. The locals would largely be over it in a few days at most.

A 5.8 directly under NYC (possible, though not common) could kill dozens or hundreds. Those unreinforced masonry buildings that you see so many of over there are not safe in a quake.

Last edited:

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Depends on where it occurs. A 5.8 in in Los Angeles will probably not kill anyone, and cause only limited disruption to a small area. The locals would largely be over it in a few days at most.

A 5.8 directly under NYC (possible, though not common) could kill dozens or hundreds. Those unreinforced masonry buildings that you see so many of over there are not safe in a quake.
When I lived in NYC a long time ago I was in one of those masonry buildings getting ready for work and noticed the water in the toilet moving just a little side to side - learned later that day in the evening papers that we had just had an earthquake centered somewhere in Westchester I think - about a 3. I had felt absolutely nothing, but it did get me wondering! Luckily the NE which does have lots of fault lines is pretty stable.
There is a fault line that caused the New Madrid earthquakes of 1811-12 and that seems to be the farthest east of the really big ones in 'recent' history - lots of debate as to whether that fault is still active - some say it has a hard block that prevents lots of small movements on the fault, storing up energy that gets released on average every 500 years - others that it is no longer active.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
In the late 50s a couple of buddies and I, preteens, were standing on top of what we called Mt. White Plains (NY), which meant standing on bare hard rock when we felt and heard 1 sharp crack - my first earthquake on top of this spike of rock which was the high ground for the Revolutionary War's battle of White Plains. I hope you aren't as old as I UcMiami, but maybe it was the same quake?

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
In the late 50s a couple of buddies and I, preteens, were standing on top of what we called Mt. White Plains (NY), which meant standing on bare hard rock when we felt and heard 1 sharp crack - my first earthquake on top of this spike of rock which was the high ground for the Revolutionary War's battle of White Plains. I hope you aren't as old as I UcMiami, but maybe it was the same quake?
Mine was in the early 1980s and is the only one I have experienced if you can say a minor sloshing in the toilet bowl is an experience!

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
Yeah 5.8 is RELATIVELY weak. But to anyone unaccustomed to quakes it's catastrophic. And frightening. Had a 3.5 here in NY once. That was enough to rattle my onions.

Reaction Score
I was in that big one in San Francisco in '89. I had lived there three years and was planning on leaving to head back to CT (my wife was homesick) the next day. We weren't watching the World Series which was right there at Candlestick park, because we were too busy packing. We had boxes piled up high in the living room of our apartment. We had felt many tremors, they happen a lot, so we started to laugh when the quake started. How funny, we thought, a quake on the night before we were leaving. When the shaking kept going, we got serious and got out of the center of the room, under the doorway between rooms in case the ceiling fell in. Surprisingly, the boxes didn't fall despite the house seemingly rocking back and forth and banging down on each side. It was much more violent than any quake we had felt before.

Later on our landlord passed by our doorway, which we had opened to see what was going on outside, and invited us upstairs, our apartment was part of his house, to drink some wine. He had been in the BART train under San Francisco bay when the quake came and the train stopped. He and the other commuters had to walk home. We sat on his patio behind his house drinking wine and watching the lights of the city come back on. Oddly, an enjoyable moment for us.

The next morning I walked a couple hundred feet or so to the end of our street. We lived on Dolores Street, for those who know San Francisco, on the edge of the mission district. I could see that there was something wrong with the Bay bridge, but I couldn't tell how bad it was. We had planned on leaving across the Bay bridge but because of its collapse we had to take the Golden Gate bridge instead. I had slept well the night of the quake but the next night we stopped over in Reno and some kids were running outside our room on the second floor. I awoke in panic.

But it was only through the news and videos on Youtube, some I looked at recently, that I really understood some of the horrors that had occurred in that event. When the parts of the bridge and the roadway approach to the bridge fell, people we crushed and trapped. It really was amazing that in the end there were only a couple of hundred people who died out of all the millions in the area.

Anyway, that's my earthquake story.

Reaction Score
Mine was in the early 1980s and is the only one I have experienced if you can say a minor sloshing in the toilet bowl is an experience!
I remember that one, I was living in Williamsburg Brooklyn and I felt it subtly rumble through my building north to south, a couple things on a bookshelf started ticking back-and-forth. It was actually pretty cool.

We had one pass through Connecticut a few years ago, epicenter somewhere north of us. Sitting at my desk in a very well built 4-story building in downtown Hartford I felt my chair rocking forward and back. At first I thought I had a heart problem until my daughter texted me so see if I felt the earthquake.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
macklin

Top Bottom