OT: I need new windows... | The Boneyard

OT: I need new windows...

Status
Not open for further replies.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
So it's finally time. I'm going to upgrade my old single pane windows. My first thought vinyl clad wood, but I've been hearing that top grade vinyl is a better product, at least in terms of efficiency and cost.

Has anyone gone through this process? Any advice, or thoughts? If you went with vinyl, was it tough to get used to the change in look versus a wood window?

Reaction Score
Windows have been my work experience for 30 years. Renewal by Andersen is the best I have seen but big bucks. Check out the Andersen 400 series. The best vinyl window I have seen for the price is the Jeld Wen builders series. Pell and Marvin are overated. Where are you located?

Reaction Score
I meant Pella. I also would buy double hung rather than casements.

Reaction Score
I just got new windows for the home in June, 2 months ago. I went with Pella Vinyl, but with there top of the line vinyl windows. They looked a lot better than the cheaper ones. I also was going to go with Marvin windows with the fiberglass. you get more window space with fiberglass because its stronger, but it was a 10k increase in cost vs. Pella. They were really nice though.

I wouldn't go with some cheap window. Look at the specs for your region and see what windows meet that requirement. I also had all the doors replaced in the house as well.

Reaction Score
Renovated in 2010, got (wood) Marvin. The screens are awesomely easy to go on & off. Love the windows. Some are casement, some are awning, which are great in that you can leave them open in the rain and rain doesn't get in.

CL82

Reaction Score
Windows have been my work experience for 30 years. Renewal by Andersen is the best I have seen but big bucks. Check out the Andersen 400 series. The best vinyl window I have seen for the price is the Jeld Wen builders series. Pell and Marvin are overated. Where are you located?
North Jersey

Looking at Anderson, Marvin, Pella.

Soft Light makes a very highly rated window. I'd never heard of them but after a little research, they seem like a solid company and product. Not inexpensive vs. other vinyls but has good specs/warrantee.

I like look of the Andersen wood, but their efficiency is less than the high grade vinyl. I'm not sure I'd get used to the a "plastic" rather than wood frame, but people tell me you paint the trim to match and all you see is a quality window.

Any thoughts on triple vs. double pane?

Last edited:
Reaction Score
So it's finally time. I'm going to upgrade my old single pane windows. My first thought vinyl clad wood, but I've been hearing that top grade vinyl is a better product, at least in terms of efficiency and cost.

Has anyone gone through this process? Any advice, or thoughts? If you went with vinyl, was it tough to get used to the change in look versus a wood window?
Did Harvey vinyl Windows last year. Total of 15, all double-hung but 1 casement. Main reason was to get vinyl cover around Windows so no more painting. Was more expensive than I was hoping for, but cheaper than Home Depot quote.

Reaction Score
Wait for my company to release our new thermochromic windows, and really step your window game up

Reaction Score
Put in new windows last year after talking to 3 companies. Finally went with Finman in Farmington who have been around forever. The windows (Mercury) are made in Connecticut and I was very happy with the product and the installation. I really don't think there is a big difference in quality and performance between any of them (Finman is also a Harvey dealer) even though there is a big difference in price.

Reaction Score
We did the Renewal by Anderson 400 series Woodwright windows about six or seven years ago to replace almost all the windows from the 70s in our little bungalow that were so bad a bird could just about fly through them. In our bed at night, we could feel the breeze on our face with the windows fully closed.... The Anderson windows were not cheap. But they are extraordinary. We got the model that has a wood finish inside which we then stained and poly'd and they look fantastic. They are also super efficient and made a huge difference in our oil heat usage during the winter. They came out, measured for the windows, and built each one to fit the odd openings we had. Our house is a Sears kit house from the 40s. Nearly every window opening is a different size. I think when the original owners were building it they must have found used windows someplace that were all different sizes and just used what they could find. The new windows operate, close and lock beautifully. The double hung windows all fold in for easy cleaning of both sides and the grilles are removable. I can't say enough good things about the performance of the product and the Renewal installer who provided them.
One thing to keep in mind though with replacement windows. The inside trim/molding very often gets dinged up when they remove it and then reinstall it after the windows go in. They do a nice job of hiding where they cut it but it isn't going to be perfect anymore. In the case of mine, the molding was all shot anyway. I bought new molding, stained it to match and re-trimmed out all of the windows that had stained molding. The painted ones I haven't touched yet (only four of those) as both of the those rooms (the bathroom and the kitchen) are going to be fully gutted and redone. Why do it twice?

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Do your research. There are nicer Windows than anything by Anderson or Pella or other big names. I'll try to remember the ones we put in. They have way more window surface than the Renewals. Cost was about the same.

CL82

Reaction Score
Do your research. There are nicer Windows than anything by Anderson or Pella or other big names. I'll try to remember the ones we put in. They have way more window surface than the Renewals. Cost was about the same.
Let me know, if you think of it.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score

@CL82 I went with Sunrise Windows. Restorations Facts - Why Replace Your Windows with Restorations? There are other highly rated windows like ONKA. I really liked the larger viewing area with the ones I got. I found this site useful, including the Forum and reviews. Replacement Windows Best Ratings & Reviews - Discussion Board Consumer Reports rates them as well (one of the Anderson windows was at the bottom).

Reaction Score
We installed Harvey windows in our former home and we loved them. Our new home has Anderson windows that are about 10 years old and they have two drawbacks in comparison. If you go with a grid look, be sure the grid is between panes for MUCH easier cleaning. And get low-e windows. Very substantial impact on cooling costs, especially this summer.

Hankster

What do I know.
Reaction Score
I don't know if Andersen is good or not. I have a small home, well a family starter home we built in 1996. Andersen came to the house. They showed me the cost, I showed them the door. I am well aware of sales and spotted their tactics as clear as I am sitting here. I worked contractor commercial sales in Lowe's years ago. going on the road and talking to contractors.There isn't anything special about our windows. Contractor windows I am sure. I asked them to break it down for me. The cost of each window. I was told they could not do it that way. D'Oh? Then the sales guy had a new guy with him to train. They were comparing both their laptops. The main guys whispering, give him that discount, knock off 10 percent . So my wife and I sitting there smiling at each other. Then they slipped the price over to me. I thanked them and showed them the door. Of course, if we ordered now we can get the discount. If not they couldn't promise it. Oh dear. Andersen probably missed our company because the were calling us once a day for weeks. Oh we will send another guy who will look it over and sharpen his pencil. I asked nicely do not call again.

Not to change the subject, but be warned, do not give Bath Fitters any of your info at any type of fair, or show. A couple of times a day easy for days, even after you tell them to stop. Then they start calling from a 800 number. Terrible.

Reaction Score
For the love of god do NOT use Renewal by Anderson. They are so insanely overpriced You may as well just bend over when they get there.. Yes they are very good windows, but you can also get windows with very comperable specs for less than half of what Renewal by Anderson costs. We had them come out and price 7 windows and two doors at our condo...$18,000!!! "But if you say yes today we can do it for $14,000!" I laughed the guy out of my condo, went with a local company for $6,500, with windows and doors that had nearly identical specs.

I have also heard good things about Finnman from contractor friends, and had them out to price the job. They came in a couple grand over the bid we went with, but still way under Renewal by Anderson, and they have been around a long time and have a very good rep.

Reaction Score
For the love of god do NOT use Renewal by Anderson. They are so insanely overpriced You may as well just bend over when they get there.. Yes they are very good windows, but you can also get windows with very comperable specs for less than half of what Renewal by Anderson costs. We had them come out and price 7 windows and two doors at our condo...$18,000!!! "But if you say yes today we can do it for $14,000!" I laughed the guy out of my condo, went with a local company for $6,500, with windows and doors that had nearly identical specs.

I have also heard good things about Finnman from contractor friends, and had them out to price the job. They came in a couple grand over the bid we went with, but still way under Renewal by Anderson, and they have been around a long time and have a very good rep.

Basically the same experience that I had with Marvin windows.

I had 29 windows, all but 9 of them are double hung. 4 exterior doors and 4 storm doors. Marvin came in at over $43k. Pella came in at $10k less. Other places who weren't a big brand were about $5k less than that. I guess I went with the more well known name vs. the small local company.

Reaction Score
I did $25k worth of Pella windows last year. Pella was offering 0% financing for 3 years at the time. I went with the Impervia line. They are fiberglass and look infinitely better than vinyl.

Reaction Score
North Jersey

Looking at Anderson, Marvin, Pella.

Soft Light makes a very highly rated window. I'd never heard of them but after a little research, they seem like a solid company and product. Not inexpensive vs. other vinyls but has good specs/warrantee.

I like look of the Andersen wood, but their efficiency is less than the high grade vinyl. I'm not sure I'd get used to the a "plastic" rather than wood frame, but people tell me you paint the trim to match and all you see is a quality window.

Any thoughts on triple vs. double pane?

We did Pella vinyl-clad wood with triple pane. They look great and are tight as can be. After fifteen years I have no complaint. Whichever you decide look into UV protective coatings on at least south-facing windows to protect your carpets and furniture.

Reaction Score
Re-dd the house in Anderson 15 years ago - casement and sash as required. Noticed the difference in winter / summer immediately.

Reaction Score

Can you give me a rough idea on pricing?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TNS

Top Bottom