OT- HS Girl's BB Question | The Boneyard

OT- HS Girl's BB Question

Reaction Score
I notice that on many of the girl's HS BB games I video that players are wiping their hands on the soles of their shoes when someone shoots a foul shot.

Where does that come from and where did it start? Also- what is the purpose supposed to be for doing this?

Reaction Score
I notice that on many of the girl's HS BB games I video that players are wiping their hands on the soles of their shoes when someone shoots a foul shot.

Where does that come from and where did it start? Also- what is the purpose supposed to be for doing this?

They are wiping the dust off from the soles of their sneakers so they have better grip when cutting. Usually one will lick their hand before doing so in order to remove the very fine dust that builds up on the hardwood floors. As for where this started, I have no idea. I can remember dong it when I first started playing for my church league team back in the early 90's.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
and I think its nerves as well... but mostly traction

some are just following Lebron and Curry :cool:

ochoopsfan

OC Hoops Fan
Reaction Score
I never understood why they do this. Isnt the dust just getting on their hands making it difficult to control the ball?

Reaction Score
it's for better traction and the dust takes away some of the moisture on their hands to get a batter grip on the ball............many teams now use sticky mats located by the scorers table to help get better traction on the very slick court surface......

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
I notice that on many of the girl's HS BB games I video that players are wiping their hands on the soles of their shoes when someone shoots a foul shot. Where does that come from and where did it start? Also- what is the purpose supposed to be for doing this?
upload_2018-1-18_9-45-47.png

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
They are wiping the dust off from the soles of their sneakers so they have better grip when cutting. Usually one will lick their hand before doing so in order to remove the very fine dust that builds up on the hardwood floors. As for where this started, I have no idea. I can remember dong it when I first started playing for my church league team back in the early 90's.
I used to do it for as long as I can remember.....70's. It's been around forever.

and I think its nerves as well..
And yea, it becomes a habit.

Reaction Score
I never did it and never saw anyone do it when I played (60s/70s). I don't want dirt/germs from the bottom of my shoes on my hands if I can help it. I'll probably be touching my nose or mouth sometime during the game before I hit the shower (especially during the winter when you might be having the sniffles). I wore the same shoes when I played outside the gym so that stuff was on the shoe already.

Reaction Score
and I think its nerves as well... but mostly traction

some are just following Lebron and Curry :cool:

Lebron and Curry probably have almost new shoes that they only use during games.

Yeah, it's probably one of those "Be like Mike" things for young players. I tried to be like Jerry West when I played.

Reaction Score
I never did it and never saw anyone do it when I played (60s/70s). I don't want dirt/germs from the bottom of my shoes on my hands if I can help it. I'll probably be touching my nose or mouth sometime during the game before I hit the shower...
So you never had to handle the BALL? :eek: Just say'n :rolleyes:

Reaction Score
The ball's mainly only on the court.
Umm... okay. But, during a game, if I ever had to lick the court of lick the ball, I'd choose the court every time. ;)

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
The first time I remember seeing it was when Larry Bird was playing for Indiana State. But it wasn't when he was shooting free throws, he would do it during time outs or if there was a stop in play.

Phil

Stats Geek
Reaction Score
As others have noted players have been doing this for years, but just a few games ago I noticed something I hadn't seen before. The team had something on the sidelines, a flat object a foot or so square with presumably a sticky surface. The players would walk on to the object and rubbed the feet to remove the dust.

I think it was UConn that had the device but I'm not sure.

Phil

Stats Geek
Reaction Score
If you want one:

and if you scroll down you will see competitors and related products.

Reaction Score
Like Charlie said it is a tacky mat that peels away the layers to refresh it. Been around awhile now.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
All the years I played ball, I was never quick enough to worry about slipping while making a cut. It was more like turning around a battleship. :oops:

Reaction Score
I never did it and never saw anyone do it when I played (60s/70s). I don't want dirt/germs from the bottom of my shoes on my hands if I can help it. I'll probably be touching my nose or mouth sometime during the game before I hit the shower (especially during the winter when you might be having the sniffles). I wore the same shoes when I played outside the gym so that stuff was on the shoe already.
Most players in high school on up only wore their sneakers on the court for practice and games. My teams always had more than 1 pair and usually had 2 new pairs half way through the season.

Reaction Score
Most players in high school on up only wore their sneakers on the court for practice and games. My teams always had more than 1 pair and usually had 2 new pairs half way through the season.
The choice of shoes in my day (the 50s) were dependent on what was passed down. 4 stops before it got to me...black hi-top Keds..

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom