OT: How the Big East started the Conference Consolidation trend | The Boneyard

OT: How the Big East started the Conference Consolidation trend

Mazhude

"Bark, Bark!"
Reaction Score
How conference realignment shaped college sports, in ex-Big Ten boss Jim Delany’s words

"Penn State sought admission into the Big East. Six of the eight Big East members had to vote yes on Penn State. Basketball-only schools Georgetown, St. John’s and Villanova voted no, which kept Penn State out. Its ripple effect was profound when Penn State was accepted as a Big Ten member in 1990.

Delany:
If Penn State is with Pittsburgh, Syracuse, Boston College … the East Coast is stabilized, and the Big Ten doesn’t have many places to move. So you have a more formidable, a more stable Big East. But in my view, that inability to see that future and the importance of football made the Big East very vulnerable.

Notre Dame doesn’t ever move. Florida State doesn’t move in my view if Penn State doesn’t move. The SEC was already good with their little move (Arkansas and South Carolina). And Florida State is not going to be pursued by the ACC. I’m saying none of that happens if the Big East expands properly to eight football schools and 12 basketball schools. But their rationale was, that’s too many schools. Eight and 12... It would have changed history probably in the sense that if the East were consolidated with football, and you had Syracuse, Boston College, Rutgers, Pittsburgh, Penn State, maybe West Virginia, and they had full basketball schools, the Big East publics, plus the Catholics plus Penn State and few others, arguably there would have been no vacuum there..."

Reaction Score
How conference realignment shaped college sports, in ex-Big Ten boss Jim Delany’s words

"Penn State sought admission into the Big East. Six of the eight Big East members had to vote yes on Penn State. Basketball-only schools Georgetown, St. John’s and Villanova voted no, which kept Penn State out. Its ripple effect was profound when Penn State was accepted as a Big Ten member in 1990.

Delany:
If Penn State is with Pittsburgh, Syracuse, Boston College … the East Coast is stabilized, and the Big Ten doesn’t have many places to move. So you have a more formidable, a more stable Big East. But in my view, that inability to see that future and the importance of football made the Big East very vulnerable.

Notre Dame doesn’t ever move. Florida State doesn’t move in my view if Penn State doesn’t move. The SEC was already good with their little move (Arkansas and South Carolina). And Florida State is not going to be pursued by the ACC. I’m saying none of that happens if the Big East expands properly to eight football schools and 12 basketball schools. But their rationale was, that’s too many schools. Eight and 12... It would have changed history probably in the sense that if the East were consolidated with football, and you had Syracuse, Boston College, Rutgers, Pittsburgh, Penn State, maybe West Virginia, and they had full basketball schools, the Big East publics, plus the Catholics plus Penn State and few others, arguably there would have been no vacuum there..."
I'm sure this was coming at some point no matter what but those first raids never would've happened. Not accepting Penn State was an all-time dumb move.

Reaction Score
IMG_1259.jpeg

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Old. And only half true. Sure a BE with two national FB powers and a few also rans (BC, CUSE, PITT) would havd been a lot more stable but to claim that the B1G would have laid off or PSU would have been content to continue in a hybrid conference is plain naive.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
Old. And only half true. Sure a BE with two national FB powers and a few also rans (BC, CUSE, PITT) would havd been a lot more stable but to claim that the B1G would have laid off or PSU would have been content to continue in a hybrid conference is plain naive.

Sure. It is. Just like it is plain naive right now for 1/2 fan base telling use WE HAVE TO GO B12.

Reaction Score
Sure. It is. Just like it is plain naive right now for 1/2 fan base telling us WE HAVE TO GO B12.

The naive group among us are the ones who want us to turn down the B12 and stay linked up with Blind, Deaf, and Dumb (St John's, Nova, Georgetown)

August_West

Reaction Score
The naive group among us are the ones who want us to turn down the B12 and stay linked up with Blind, Deaf, and Dumb (St John's, Nova, Georgetown)
I cant fathom how any of us survived the last 43 years!

Reaction Score
I cant fathom how any of us survived the last 43 years!

I agree, it's not easy papering over 43 million dollars deficits every year, that needs to stop. We either drop football or join a P5 conference.

August_West

Reaction Score
I agree, it's not easy papering over 43 million dollars deficits every year, that needs to stop. We either drop football or join a P5 conference.
Why? Why do I as an alum care about the AD deficit?

August_West

Reaction Score
Because costs are going to continue to go up not down.

Well yeah. Sure. But what are we missing out on? How does it hurt the ceiling of UConn athletics?

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Football isn't the only program that contributes to the athletic departments deficit. If I recall, last year the football deficit was "only" $17M of $53M.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom