OT: How long before you switch to new cell phone? And why? | Page 4 | The Boneyard

OT: How long before you switch to new cell phone? And why?

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
Hey my phone is ultra modern for me. I grew up with rotary phones that only came in black at one time; kind of like the original Model T's. My first phone # in Hartford was 23702. No area code, no dash, no prefix just 23702. We even had a phone table with a seat in the front hallway. Never got a single robo call either.
Updating my mental image of Danzz:
1549494235661.png

huskypantz

All posts from this user are AI-generated
Reaction Score
I keep my phone until my plan has expired (2 year right now) and it has some functional issue. I have an apple SE and a 6 for work. I will keep the SE until it doesn’t hold a charge or breaks. Old man syndrome I guess but I’m an IT guy.

Reaction Score
I'm typing this with a galaxy s6. I've had it since 2015 when it dropped. As I type this I'm looking at my new lg v40 thinq and deciding if I want to mess around with it tonight or tomorrow while I'm supposed to be working. Phones are too expensive! I was looking at getting the galaxy s9 but it's too expensive and there aren't any deals for it. Same with the iPhone and I have just never been a fan of their phones personally.

Since I need a phone for my wife and myself we went with the LG v40 thinQ since it was basically bogo with T-Mobile. Only reason we are upgrading is because our current phones are starting to freeze and crash alot. Hopefully LG makes a decent android phone since I'll have it for another 3 to 4 years at least.

Reaction Score
It sounds like this is a thread for old grumpy men. I'm reminded of the Progressive commercial where the guy shows everyone his flip phone and says "why should I get a new one? This one works fine." Not judging it. You be you. I think the every year upgrade is a bit excessive, but I do enjoy getting new tech every once in a while.

I personally try to go three years. I just upgraded from my iphone 7 at 2 years, however, because I dropped the phone while plugged in and I think I bent the charging port. So the cable had to be jiggled to stay attached and many times I'd find my phone dead despite being plugged in. I decided to go with a new phone despite only being 2 years old because I didn't want to spend money on it.

One of the main reasons I upgrade periodically is for the camera. I have a really nice SLR camera. It never leaves the house. We capture so much of our lives on the phone, that I find a periodic upgrade to a better camera to be worth the price.
Defense Win Championships - I love that commercial

CL82

Reaction Score
Now that is just flat out mean. This isn't me. I have 3 more teeth than this guy.
TBT I remember the black rotary dial phones well; and black and white television, and listening to music on AM radio. I suspect we aren't all that far apart in age but the 5 number telephone number thing made me think "Dang Danzz is old."

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
So much personal venom over people's choice of phone. Half of you guys are like the car people who proclaim "there's nothing wrong with my 1998 Malibu, why would I switch?" I only get one life. I don't want to drive a crappy old car, or use a sluggish old phone that I can't possible see without reading glasses.

A smartphone is a luxury item and a work productivity tool for me. Since I have hearing aids that stream directly from iPhones, that is what I need and that is amazingly valuable to me. If I have to drop $1000 every couple of years to make it as useful and convenient for me as possible, that's no problem. These things, especially the Apples, retain value really well too. So when I get a new phone next fall, I'm going to get quite a bit for my iPhone 8+.

CL82

Reaction Score
I only get one life. I don't want to drive a crappy old car, or use a sluggish old phone that I can't possible see without reading glasses.
Maybe you should pony up for lasik?

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Maybe you should pony up for lasik?

Was just talking about that yesterday. Getting old sucks.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
My norm is about 3-3.5 years between phones.

I've generally stuck with Motorola with Verizon.

I turn them in when the battery charge just can't keep up.

Bought a Z3 in October. Supposedly will have a 5G moto add on sometime in 2019 or 2020.

It's a phone. I use it to talk, text and socialize. Doesn't get used for work/business at all. Any phone out there would meet my need. I also try to get the smallest phone I can get. I despise huge phones that are borderline tablet sized.

UConn Dan

Not HuskyFanDan; I lurk & I like
Reaction Score
My first cell phone circa 1994 when I was 16... it was pretty useless POS when I actually needed it.
cell-phone-from-1994.png

Today, I'm an iPhone man. I'm 2+ years into my 7plus and it's still going strong. I used to get a new phone every 2years but I'm going to ride the 7plus at least one more year and then see what's new. I'm not a fan of the face ID on the X line.

FairView

Mad Man
Reaction Score
I buy when they die. My first iPhone was an iphone 4 because my flip phone before it lasted for years. When that one died, I bought an iPhone 8. I plan to keep this until it dies. Especially now, since there are no more giant leaps from model to model.

Reaction Score
Hey my phone is ultra modern for me. I grew up with rotary phones that only came in black at one time; kind of like the original Model T's. My first phone # in Hartford was 23702. No area code, no dash, no prefix just 23702. We even had a phone table with a seat in the front hallway. Never got a single robo call either.
Are you sure there wasn’t a word ahead of the numbers, and you used the first 2 letters to transfer to the phone number? When we first moved to CT in 1956, the first phone number was DIamond nnnnn. That gave you 3,4, then your 5 numbers. I would give the number but it’s still in use at the old homestead, now owned by siblings. In fact, I retired that old rotary phone and it’s still working in my late fathers room. My sister still has my father’s original license plate too. We don’t throw stuff out just because it’s old.

Reaction Score
Are you sure there wasn’t a word ahead of the numbers, and you used the first 2 letters to transfer to the phone number? When we first moved to CT in 1956, the first phone number was DIamond nnnnn. That gave you 3,4, then your 5 numbers. I would give the number but it’s still in use at the old homestead, now owned by siblings. In fact, I retired that old rotary phone and it’s still working in my late fathers room. My sister still has my father’s original license plate too. We don’t throw stuff out just because it’s old.
They added CH (Chapel) latter. The Hartford prefixes were CH (Chapel) and JA (Jackson).
When I first had a house in Mt Snow Vermont in the 80's you only had to dial the last 4 numbers for local calls.

Reaction Score
I get the newest iPhone every year. Since I work for Sprint, I receive a 50% discount on the phone and my service is free. The iPhone Xs Max is great and I can't wait for this year's model too.

Reaction Score
I lease my phone as part of my plan with Verizon. Every 18 months I turn it in and replace it with the Latest and Greatest IPhone.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
Are you sure there wasn’t a word ahead of the numbers?
I wondered the same thing. When I was a kid, the Hartford area numbers were preceded by Chapel (24), Adams(23), or Jackson(52).

Reaction Score
Will buy pixel 4 day one since pixel 1 support ends. iPhone for work.
Augmented reality / VR / payment.
Never seen a thread with so many people making arguments that actually expose how little they know.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
They gave me $125 for my 4 year old iphone6 this week that didn’t hold a charge for 2 hours.

I get the android argument but man those things suck.

Reaction Score
Over here in Holland I get a new phone free every year when I renew my contract with Vodafone. It’s an I phone, not the very latest but good enough. I am satisfied with it. I don’t need all the very latest gadgets to be happy.

Reaction Score
I used to be a Samsung guy, but now I'm pure Android all the way. I had the Nexus 6P and now have the Pixel XL on Google Fi. I basically got the Pixel XL for free because my 6P had a boot issue. I only had to pay the difference between the XL and the original price of the 6P, so the Pixel XL cost me like $100. I've had it for two years now and it does everything I need. I'll probably upgrade to a Pixel 3 XL when the Pixel 4 comes out.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
I used to be a Samsung guy, but now I'm pure Android all the way.

Samsung is Android. You are non-Samsung Android all the way.

Certainly understandable. Brand new Samsung products run expensive. My family also has various other Samsung products in the house and I like the connectivity. I.e. I don't need a Chromecast or Roku to stream to my main TVs and we can sync to our respective tablets.

I'm looking to get a Galaxy S10, but want to wait until the S11 comes out, unless there is a deal, which there always is. I figure I have about 13-14 months.

Last edited:

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Will buy pixel 4 day one since pixel 1 support ends. iPhone for work.
Augmented reality / VR / payment.
Never seen a thread with so many people making arguments that actually expose how little they know.

Idk go look at most conference realignment threads.

Reaction Score
I wondered the same thing. When I was a kid, the Hartford area numbers were preceded by Chapel (24), Adams(23), or Jackson(52).
Forgot about Adams. I remember when they were introduced. I was very young at the time but I think it was in the early 50's.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Samsung is Android. You are non-Samsung Android all the way.

Certainly understandable. Brand new Samsung products run expensive. My family also has various other Samsung products in the house and I like the connectivity. I.e. I don't need a Chromecast or Roku to stream to my main TVs and we can sync to our respective tablets.

I'm looking to get a Galaxy S10, but wait until the S11 comes out, unless there is a deal, which there always is. I figure I have about 13-14 months.

'Pure android' is a euphemism for 'stock android'. Most brands run a different interface with their own bells and whistles (basically bloatware) on top of stock Android.

Stock is cleaner, runs better, works as intended, etc. As android is a Google product, Google phones like Nexus and Pixel of course run stock android. And the phones are designed with that in mind--optimization.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom