OT: How long before you switch to new cell phone? And why? | Page 3 | The Boneyard

OT: How long before you switch to new cell phone? And why?

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
I can't believe people still buy iphones.

Best phone on the market.

If you supported both for dozens of users you would learn why the IPhone rules. Because Samsung's make up about 1/4 of the phones I issue, but their users come across my desk for support about 4 times more than IPhone users.

I have an Android myself to keep up with stuff and its fine. Because I know what Im doing. But putting em out to users? Forget it. If I had my choice EVERYONE would have an IPhone.

Reaction Score
Best phone on the market.

If you supported both for dozens of users you would learn why the IPhone rules. Because Samsung's make up about 1/4 of the phones I issue, but their users come across my desk for support about 4 times more than IPhone users.

I have an Android myself to keep up with stuff and its fine. Because I know what Im doing. But putting em out to users? Forget it. If I had my choice EVERYONE would have an IPhone.
Yeah iPhones are great if you're an idiot and just want to make calls, texts, emails and want to be forced to get a new phone every two years.

August_West

Reaction Score
Yeah iPhones are great if you're an idiot and just want to make calls, texts, emails and want to be forced to get a new phone every two years.

There are people in this thread with Iphone 4s's and Iphone 6's and 7's you freaking idiot. Jesus. Read the thread.

Reaction Score
There are people in this thread with Iphone 4s's and Iphone 6's and 7's you freaking idiot. Jesus. Read the thread.
Yeah and they probably run like crap. More power to them, use whatever you like, but I'll never buy another apple product.

Reaction Score
I get a new phone when work tells me I can get a new one. I think it's an iPhone X. Who knows. Apropos of nothing, I've been taking the new iPad pro on the road for work and it's so much easier than traveling with a laptop.

August_West

Reaction Score
Yeah and they probably run like crap. More power to them, use whatever you like, but I'll never buy another apple product.

What and you think an 8 year old Android is burning up the benchmarks?

Holy LOLZ

Reaction Score
I’ve never understood the pride people take in their choice of a phone. The millions of people that buy an Apple or Samsung product aren’t brain dead. If they continue to upgrade their products, it’s because... they like them. If you like your product better, then certainly give your opinion when asked, but don’t get offended or nasty when someone else feels otherwise. Except for Huawei. They look like cool phones that have literally stolen from everyone else.

Reaction Score
Funny enough, I bought a Moto G6 for around $200 bucks on Black Friday. My Samsung S5 after 4 years could no longer hold a charge.

Put me in the camp of waiting until your phone dies before getting a new one.

Also, I walk through an Apple Store everyday to work and have to laugh at all the iPhone fan boys shelling out $700-$1,000 bucks for an Instagram/Facebook/snap chat machine solely based on marketing alone.
I’ve owned two I phones the 5 and 6s with 64k memory. We only got new ones because we switched carriers and ATT had a buy one get one free promo so for $750 we got two new phones that are still working great.
That will be three years ago. I phones work and work in an extraordinary manner especially within your group keeping everyone connected which really is the primary reason for having one.
Everyone in my “eco system “ has an Iphone so its an advantage to be able to easily access your entire family since we’re separated by 2500 miles, My xdaughter-in-Law the former Android user has gone through at least ten of those alleged superior
phones in that time and it seems the best way to contact her was through my grandsons IPad mini via face time.
The only one left in my wife’s family is her hearing impaired sister in CT who gets immense pleasure from seeing her younger sisters face via FaceTime. Somethings are priceless.
I know the techy chic thing is to bash Apple but that always struck me as strategy for losers or people that really can’t compete.

Last edited:

Drumguy

Funny, now I mostly play guitar
Reaction Score
Do you mean instead of something else?

or

Pay money for them because they might be had for free?
I'm pretty sure he means vs. an Android phone. Lots of choices in manufacturers and there are great builds - Apple no longer has a monopoly on beautiful phones. In Android there's almost always a new phone so the hardware is evolving much faster than Apple's once a year release. Android is now on MANY more devices so all the advantages that Apple had in apps over Android are long gone. Plus if you use Gmail, the Google Assistant, Photos and other apps as well as G Suite make for a far superior user experience.

Reaction Score
Do you mean instead of something else?

or

Pay money for them because they might be had for free?
I just think they suck, at least the ones I had sucked and degraded quickly, there was also no distinguishable difference between the newer models. I'm not a huge fan of their business platform to make the phones break down in a year and a half and not make anything compatible between products. I would never buy another one of their products.

Reaction Score
Have an S7 Edge. I'm waiting for an S10 plus... or for the Note 9 to drop in price.

Drumguy

Funny, now I mostly play guitar
Reaction Score
I just think they suck, at least the ones I had sucked and degraded quickly, there was also no distinguishable difference between the newer models. I'm not a huge fan of their business platform to make the phones break down in a year and a half and not make anything compatible between products. I would never buy another one of their products.
Thanks, I think the biggest issue people have with iPhones is memory. One of the reasons Google Photos works so well on iPhones is it allows you to "Free up Space" by deleting the photos once they're stored (for free) in the cloud. That will make almost every iPhone work better. I don't buy Apple products anymore myself but they are good phones like everything else out there, I just think Android works so much better.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
What the hell are you people doing with your phones that they break down in two years or less?!?

As I posted upthread, my iPhone 6 is almost five years old with no issues whatsoever. Never even did the battery replacement.

My primary source of music is still my 160 GB iPod Classic 6th edition, which is more than ten years old. I run with it, travel with it, use it in the car, etc. and it is still going (thank God, because they stopped making them several years ago).

I still have a first generation iPad that works fine, except that nothing is compatible with it anymore.

I just bought the 3rd Generation iPad Pro 12.9" with Apple Pencil and it is a tremendous and perfect tool for me.

Hate on Apple products all you want, but my experience has found them to be very good and durable products.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
I’ve owned two I phones the 5 and 6s with 64k memory. We only got new ones because we switched carriers and ATT had a buy one get one free promo so for $750 we got two new phones that are still working great.
That will be three years ago. I phones work and work in an extraordinary manner especially within your group keeping everyone connected which really is the primary reason for having one.
Everyone in my “eco system “ has an Iphone so its an advantage to be able to easily access your entire family since we’re separated by 2500 miles, My xdaughter-in-Law the former Android user has gone through at least ten of those alleged superior
phones in that time and it seems the best way to contact her was through my grandsons IPad mini via face time.
The only one left in my wife’s family is her hearing impaired sister in CT who gets immense pleasure from seeing her younger sisters face via FaceTime. Somethings are priceless.
I know the techy chic thing is to bash Apple but that always struck me as strategy for losers or people that really can’t compete.

On the contrary, I'm not a tech guy whatsoever.

The average cell phone user gets everything they need and more from a $250 phone and have been marketed to feel like they need to buy a $800 cell phone, and then subsequently upgrade it every couple years.

Your family can download whatsapp (for free) and then all join a group chat. Ecosystem problem solved.

Reaction Score
I know people always make the claim but I’ve had each of my iPhone for more than 2 years each, and at least two of them for 3+. They’re solid, stable, have a huge suite of quality software and are super easy to use. Most new apps are built from the ground up with iPhones in mind too. The only reason I’ve upgraded over the years was because it was free the first time, to get larger built in memory (would be nice if they allowed for expandable) the second time, and because my wife dropped hers in the toilet and convinced me to get a new one too.

I have no hate for the Samsung’s or android but I just find it hard to beat.

@Hans Sprungfeld you can get a 6s for practically free these days.

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
Both the wife and I have an iPhone 6S. Purchased in 2015. No problems at all. And yes we are a Mac family. As to Android phones, we had Samsungs for a couple of years and got rid of them. Battery problems and app problems.

No need for us to upgrade. The phones are working fine.

Reaction Score
I have had an iphone6 for over 4 years. Got the battery replaced and all is fine. I may upgrade to get more storage. My wife has a Samsung S8 and has many more issues then I do. @3rdbass - you should check with Apple I think you can still get the $29.95 battery replacement.
Thanks @Yorkeez4. I will do that.

Reaction Score
My Iphone 6s runs better now than my Samsung Galaxy S7 I got through a job. That was brand new but all the loaded bloatware really makes it slow and the battery life bad. Now I will say Samsung is ahead in better Cameras and storage(upgradeable). Most people are not tech savy enough to jailbreak the OS on an Android so that is lost point for most users.

Reaction Score
My Iphone 6s runs better now than my Samsung Galaxy S7 I got through a job. That was brand new but all the loaded bloatware really makes it slow and the battery life bad. Now I will say Samsung is ahead in better Cameras and storage(upgradeable). Most people are not tech savy enough to jailbreak the OS on an Android so that is lost point for most users.

And that is why a pure Android OS is better. The Pixel family is better because Verizon doesn't put any of that unnecessary b.s. on the phone.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
I know people always make the claim but I’ve had each of my iPhone for more than 2 years each, and at least two of them for 3+. They’re solid, stable, have a huge suite of quality software and are super easy to use. Most new apps are built from the ground up with iPhones in mind too. The only reason I’ve upgraded over the years was because it was free the first time, to get larger built in memory (would be nice if they allowed for expandable) the second time, and because my wife dropped hers in the toilet and convinced me to get a new one too.

I have no hate for the Samsung’s or android but I just find it hard to beat.

@Hans Sprungfeld you can get a 6s for practically free these days.

I have the Lady Hans iPhone5 that I use for workout podcasts and as a casting/streaming/Bluetooth server elsewhere. I have an iPod touch that I thought I'd use in the car but don't. My 3rd Gen original iPad sits mostly unused in a clock radio docking port. Each time I pick one of these up, I learn new apps that are no longer supported by iOS versions beyond me.

The click wheel square Nano & 160gb Classic get little use as well.

Basically, I got used to Android and prefer it, though the Apple products always do feel good in the hand, so there's that.

The phone I originally posted about does most everything for me. And it's nearly always with me.

I'm into day 6 of not knowing where the 2nd generation Nexus 7 tablet is. It's long in the tooth, and I'd like a replacement. Maybe a Lenovo Tab 8 but they seem to have stalled the specs. Anybody got thoughts there. Trying to avoid Amazon or Samsung skins, given my deep familiarity with stock Android.

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
Clean it!

90% of the time you have crap hung up in there.

Very rarely does it need an actual port replacement .

Try this first.

Well that worked like a charm. Thanks!

Always trust content from ADub™

August_West

Reaction Score
Well that worked like a charm. Thanks!

Always trust content from ADub™

Its amazing what you can pull out of there!

Kinda like my belly button.

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
Its amazing what you can pull out of there!

Kinda like my belly button.
Lol, started slow, then it was like a clown car... it just kept coming out.

Reaction Score
Do you play Snake on that dinosaur?
Hey my phone is ultra modern for me. I grew up with rotary phones that only came in black at one time; kind of like the original Model T's. My first phone # in Hartford was 23702. No area code, no dash, no prefix just 23702. We even had a phone table with a seat in the front hallway. Never got a single robo call either.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom