OT: How do you get a "nickname"? | The Boneyard

OT: How do you get a "nickname"?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Just curious...some people have something under their avatar and under their board name that is other than "New Poster", "Popular Poster" etc. How does one get one of these? Or is it strictly for the in crowd.the cool kids? ;)

As long as I have been posting here I don't know who decides who gets one of these tag lines, and if you get one, who determines what it is.

Do you have to ask for it? Apply for it? Produce twenty seven eight-by-ten color glossy pictures with circles and arrows and a paragraph on the back of each one? Give up your first born son? You can have mine, by the way. But he is almost 26, living at home and has some hoarding tendencies so you prolly don't want him.

I am NOT sure I am back to post on topic yet - still a little gun shy from my recent admonishment. So I am dipping my toe in and starting out with a hopefully a benign inquiry.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Just curious...some people have something under their avatar and under their board name that is other than "New Poster", "Popular Poster" etc. How does one get one of these? Or is it strictly for the in crowd.the cool kids? ;)

As long as I have been posting here I don't know who decides who gets one of these tag lines, and if you get one, who determines what it is.

Do you have to ask for it? Apply for it? Produce twenty seven eight-by-ten color glossy pictures with circles and arrows and a paragraph on the back of each one? Give up your first born son? You can have mine, by the way. But he is almost 26, living at home and has some hoarding tendencies so you prolly don't want him.

I am NOT sure I am back to post on topic yet - still a little gun shy from my recent admonishment. So I am dipping my toe in and starting out with a hopefully a benign inquiry.
You were self-admonished, Chapette. It never crossed my mind once that you were any kind of a problem on the board. It does speak well of you that you reviewed your posting history and wondered if you'd erred, though I would never want you to feel the self-blame you've punished yourself with.

Reaction Score

This is just my little observation - but what was under your name "Popular Poster" seemed entirely fitting and completely accurate. Now as to the rest of us with that little description, not so sure.

Reaction Score
You were self-admonished, Chapette. It never crossed my mind once that you were any kind of a problem on the board. It does speak well of you that you reviewed your posting history and wondered if you'd erred, though I would never want you to feel the self-blame you've punished yourself with.
Oh, I was admonished. Ask JS ;)

But what has me gun shy was the nasty name I was called - or that was implied - in response to the post that JS contacted me about. That name was an attack on my character that was incredibly hurtful.

I am not going to go into further details because the offending posts (mine and the reply) have been deleted. I have apologized directly to the particular individual - with no reply. C'est la vie. I took ownership and accountability for my actions. That is all I can control.

Last edited:

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
So Chapette, drag over your Boneyard name and click into personal preferences and go for it. But it seems you have already discovered same??

Reaction Score
This is just my little observation - but what was under your name "Popular Poster" seemed entirely fitting and completely accurate. Now as to the rest of us with that little description, not so sure.
Aww, thanks Tri. I'm feeling the love!!!

JS

Reaction Score
Oh, I was admonished. Ask JS ;)
Not that I want to perpetuate the drama here.

But yes, I told you there had been complaints, that I didn't think you meant your comments the way they were taken, but that it would be best to stay away from a certain subject.

As you know I also deleted a post in which someone basically called you out in a pejorative way, as that person seemed to be jumping to unwarranted conclusions about you. You had in any event apologized for making remarks that could be understood in that way.

That's about it. Like I said at the time, and still observe, you seem upset. Can't help you much there except to suggest moving on.

More broadly, it's an example of why we think it best to keep certain topics -- as to which people can be sensitive and sometimes overly sensitive, if you will -- off our list, especially when they don't directly relate to basketball.

That includes politics and religion, to take the most obvious two.

Reaction Score
Not that I want to perpetuate the drama here.

But yes, I told you there had been complaints, that I didn't think you meant your comments the way they were taken, but that it would be best to stay away from a certain subject.

As you know I also deleted a post in which someone basically called you out in a pejorative way, as that person seemed to be jumping to unwarranted conclusions about you. You had in any event apologized for making remarks that could be understood in that way.

That's about it. Like I said at the time, and still observe, you seem upset. Can't help you much there except to suggest moving on.

More broadly, it's an example of why we think it best to keep certain topics -- as to which people can be sensitive and sometimes overly sensitive, if you will -- off our list, especially when they don't directly relate to basketball.

That includes politics and religion, to take the most obvious two.
It takes me some time to get over being called one of the most hateful things I can think of calling another human being. But I will get there.

And yes, it is a good lesson for all of us. Contrary to what my mother always told me, words can hurt you.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
To get a nickname, send JS a bottle of wine.

To get a good nickname, make it a really good bottle of wine.

At least that's what he told me. :)

JS

Reaction Score
To get a nickname, send JS a bottle of wine.
'Tain't me. People can send the wine anyway, on spec. Mrs. JS likes it.

I did have a few suggestions for nicknames back in the day. Not sure any of 'em stuck for long.

Take yours, for instance. "Voice of Reason" fell of its own weight, to be supplanted by a mere, and temporary, geographical location.

After that debacle, HuskyNan didn't consult me anymore.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
'Tain't me. People can send the wine anyway, on spec. Mrs. JS likes it.

I did have a few suggestions for nicknames back in the day. Not sure any of 'em stuck for long.

Take yours, for instance. "Voice of Reason" fell of its own weight, to be supplanted by a mere, and temporary, geographical location.

After that debacle, HuskyNan didn't consult me anymore.
Sadly, I couldn't live up to "Voice of Reason." I haven't been in London in a while, but I hope to be one of a number of BYers in Istanbul. I'm headed to New York this week and Honolulu next week, after being in Nashville last week. Maybe I should be "Our Man in _______." :)

ChicagoGG

Windy City Kitty
Reaction Score
Chapette - glad you are still around. I think your new "bon coeur" suits you perfectly! Take your time and let your bruises heal...wishing you all the best.

Zorro

Nuestro Zorro Amigo
Reaction Score
Sadly, I couldn't live up to "Voice of Reason." I haven't been in London in a while, but I hope to be one of a number of BYers in Istanbul. I'm headed to New York this week and Honolulu next week, after being in Nashville last week. Maybe I should be "Our Man in _______." :)

"Our Man in Motion", mebbe?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
macklin