OT - How a midlevel school became The University of Adidas at Louisville | Page 2 | The Boneyard

OT - How a midlevel school became The University of Adidas at Louisville

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
I would choose the status quo.

Some things are bigger than sports.

I never want to feel embarrassed to tell people where I went to school.

Aw, c'mon now. When you tell people you attended "Hookers & Blow U." they instantly identify with the name of your school being Louisville. That kind of instant name recognition is priceless. ;)

Reaction Score
This may be an unpopular opinion here, but

I'd rather my alma mater be what it is than have it's named forever linked with prostitutes and the shoe company scandal.

If I knew back in 2012 that would be the price to get an ACC invite, I would not have paid.

And, yes, I'm prepared for the beating I'm about to receive...
I despise the AAC, but couldn’t agree more with this opinion.

Louisville academics weren’t anything to write home about before, but good luck to their Pres trying to remove that stain from the school’s reputation.

Reaction Score

A must watch.

Obviously never knew Pitino, but if you read between the lines like our man Ray Ray did you'd know the type of person he is.

We tear Ollie up for his in game coaching style constantly, but off the court you have to respect his demeanor, character & leadership.

That we on the boneyard can never touch or question, and at the end of the day is far more important than the game itself.

Mr. French

Tremendous Individual
Reaction Score
I would choose the status quo.

Some things are bigger than sports.

I never want to feel embarrassed to tell people where I went to school.

I didn't even go to UConn and have no connection other than being a fan of the basketball programs since the early 90s.

And I still agree with you.

Reaction Score
All of this stuff has been known for a while. There's nothing new here, so why the ESPN article?
Indeed. My question as well. Much like the fake outrage by MLB over the steroid era that they fueled and then rode all the way to the bank.

The notion that ESPN is shocked - SHOCKED - to find out that Pitino and the AD at Louisville were taking liberties with NCAA rules is a bit much to take.

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
He came from Colorado St? We took Hathaway from Colorado St. So Jurich is even connected to Jeff Hathaway, another AD that screwed us. :)

I seem to have a different opinion of Jurich. I'm opposed to and not condoning any illegal activities, but the Adidas deal and the Yum Center financing are brilliant, as was all his work to get his school into the ACC. He was doing his job for the University. Now if it turns out there were kickbacks or something to decision makers, to city officials or to ACC representatives, my opinion changes 180 degrees, but I didn't read any of that.

Academically, the school mismanaged the funds. Their academics should have benefited greatly from all of this, doesn't appear that was the case.

City officials gave up too much, but the city benefited greatly with development around the University's success. There is some trade-off.

The ACC may have sold it's soul, can't blame Jurich for that, he took advantage of that.

If he's connected to illegal activity, he'll get his day in court and we'll see the FBI's case. The FBI may have substantive evidence ESPN doesn't have at this point in time.

Jurich is not backing down, he's not hiding, he believes what he's saying about his accomplishments.

The illegal activity he's responsible for is not his work on the Yum Center, or the ACC or even the signed deal with Adidas (unless kickbacks were involved in any of those), he's responsible for the recruiting scandals that happened under his watch. For that alone he should be fired.

As for his compensation, it reminds me of "not one dime". The man brought in so much revenue, he deserves to be paid and the school benefited to the tune of hundreds of millions. They just evidently mismanaged the funds.

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
Has the FBI brought any charges against him yet? I really don't know, but I don't think they have.

Of course the investigation is ongoing, so there may be some coming

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Has the FBI brought any charges against him yet? I really don't know, but I don't think they have.

Of course the investigation is ongoing, so there may be some coming

Are they even investigating the Yum Center and ACC move? I haven't heard anything about that. (I didn't read the article so maybe it addresses that)

I thought the investigation was about sneaker companies and recruiting improprieties.

Reaction Score
So they paid Jurich's son a six figure salary using foundation funds to circumvent Louisville's nepotism laws. Meanwhile, Edsall's son is getting the 5th degree from the state of CT. Those two cases sound awfully similar. It's just a different world down there.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
So they paid Jurich's son a six figure salary using foundation funds to circumvent Louisville's nepotism laws. Meanwhile, Edsall's son is getting the 5th degree from the state of CT. Those two cases sound awfully similar. It's just a different world down there.

And they are P5 participants. Big reason why EOD.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom