OT: Housing in Wilton, CT area | The Boneyard

OT: Housing in Wilton, CT area

Status
Not open for further replies.

temery

What?
Reaction Score
I have a friend who may soon be looking for a rental unit in the Wilton, CT area. The job he's looking at will pay in the mid $30's - so that may give you an idea what his price range will be.

Any ideas?

Reaction Score
Aside from maybe finding an in-law or apartment within a house in Wilton, the best rates and most options nearby will be found in Norwalk. Wilton itself has some condo units and 1 or 2 apartment complexes, but the rents are likely to be pricey for that income. Ridgefield will have more options as well, but probably a bit more expensive than Norwalk for the same place. Stamford and Danbury will offer plenty of options and are well within 30 minutes commute time (at rush hour).

Reaction Score
Just saw something in local market. When I can get out I will stop by and check.

Where is his job located?

Reaction Score
I am from that area, good luck finding a cheap rent in Ffld Cty.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
I grew up in this area. There is nothing in Wilton unless he finds some old lady renting a room above her garage. Nothing. Westport is a cool town, but very, very expensive.

There are lots of reasonable rents in Norwalk, but be very careful about the area. It can cross from nice to scary in half a block when you get down near the water. Norwalk is overbuilt and there are a lot of condos for rent. He should be able to find something reasonable (by FFC standards).

As others have said, Danbury is not that far, and with the work that has been done on Route 7, the commute is a lot better than it used to be, although it still slows to a crawl at the Ridgefield/Wilton line.

Reaction Score
Only a suggestion: Put an ad in the local paper or Craig's List. Assuming he's single and just needs a place 'til he figures out where he wants to be, that could work. Regular apartments have to be pretty pricy.

temery

What?
Reaction Score
Age of friend, married/single/other, etc. might impact responses. Depending on some of the preceding, some apartments or shared places might work in Fairfiield (town).

Mid thirties. Single.. Applying or a job at a museum, or for the Parks Service, I believe.

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
His only real choice is Danbury. Reasonable rental rates, plenty of very good restaurants.

Commute time on 7 to Norwalk depends on the time of day. Normal commuter rush in morning with be longer than a half hour as will the afternoon commute.

RS9999X

There's no Dark Side .....it's all Dark.
Reaction Score
How bad are the rents?

Craigslist doesn't include Fairfield County as part of CT. You have to go to NYC and select FCT as a 'borough' of NYC (upper right just behind the Bronx and Long Island).

http://newyork.craigslist.org/

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
I'll keep my eyes open. FWIW I dont think you'll find anything lower then $1200/month plus utilities unless you share the rent.

dvegas

Duck Fuke
Reaction Score
black rock section of Bridgeport is probably his best bet and with the new Fairfield metro train station makes travel down to stamford greenwich or NYC much much easier

I wouldnt consider anything in the Danbury area becuse its not on the new haven train line

Reaction Score
Danbury could be OK and you'd probably save some $$ but I'd second taking a look at Norwalk first to avoid the commute and give you more to do. You can PM me if he needs a second opinion on a location as I grew up there. Also live next to Danbury now. Plus they both have hockey teams :)!

Train from Dby/Bethel line would drop you at Merrit 7 (Main Ave) or Sono RR Station.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kemba123#

Top Bottom