(OT) Here Comes Iowa and Caitlin Clark | The Boneyard

(OT) Here Comes Iowa and Caitlin Clark

Reaction Score
Iowa knocked off a ranked Rutgers team last night in the Big 10 Tournament. As is happening with Paige, Clark did not dominate the scoring in this game. Iowa appears to be figuring out how to win without just heaving the ball to their star freshman. Not sure when voting occurs, or was completed, for NPOY and NFOy, but looks as though Clark and Paige will both be featured in the Tourney.

Reaction Score
Iowa knocked off a ranked Rutgers team last night in the Big 10 Tournament. As is happening with Paige, Clark did not dominate the scoring in this game. Iowa appears to be figuring out how to win without just heaving the ball to their star freshman. Not sure when voting occurs, or was completed, for NPOY and NFOy, but looks as though Clark and Paige will both be featured in the Tourney.

Teams are adjusting however Clark is also learning not to carry it all on her shoulders. It's been noted recently in their games that Coach Bluder has been talking to her about it throughout the season.

Makes sense too as it sounds like she was the primary scorer for her HS and AA programs. It's hard to switch from that mentality right away.

Majic Hands

https://www.neumi.com/jkvetter
Reaction Score
I just checked and Rutgers NET is 12. Iowa's is 24. After last night I suspect those to will be closer together.

HOWever. . .

Iowa, has to get past Michigan State today and the winner of Maryland / Northwestern tomorrow.

If Iowa wins Saturday and goes into the ncaa tournament as their conference champion, as is UConn. That's when I think the comparing of Page and Caitlin will be interesting. Perhaps even meaningful.

What I've seen so far is two extrodinary players.

Reaction Score
Finally having seen her play, Clark is an absolutely terrific talent. I guess those that need to reassure themselves Bueckers is better will do so but any comparison between any two players is purely subjective and solely in the eyes of the beholder. Me, I enjoyed watching Bueckers all season and equally enjoyed watching Clark last night. And for the record, being from Jersey, I was rooting hard for Rutgers.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I just checked and Rutgers NET is 12. Iowa's is 24. After last night I suspect those to will be closer together.

HOWever. . .

Iowa, has to get past Michigan State today and the winner of Maryland / Northwestern tomorrow.

If Iowa wins Saturday and goes into the ncaa tournament as their conference champion, as is UConn. That's when I think the comparing of Page and Caitlin will be interesting. Perhaps even meaningful.

If this (Iowa makes tournament as Big10 Tournament champions) happens I still don't see that as a reason to make additional comparisons between the players. As many have pointed out you are talking about players in vastly different situations and teams with vastly different styles of play. They are both extraordinary players though-on that we can agree.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
If this (Iowa makes tournament as Big10 Tournament champions) I still don't see that as a reason to make additional comparisons between the players. As many have pointed out you are talking about players in vastly different situations and teams with vastly different styles of play. They are both extraordinary players though-on that we can agree.

I'm in agreement, however the media will beat this into the ground unfortunately.

The level of play at the guard position over the next few years is going to be fun to watch, beyond Clark and Bueckers. As long as fans make the time to appreciate it, that's what matters.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
Iowa won't win the conference championship and it won't be because Clark did not play well.

Reaction Score
Caitlin Clark can flat out play. I was also impressed as to how tough she showed in the Rutgers game. She was manhandled a couple of times, & beaten down to the hardwood. Her court vision is similar to PB's, and was really impressed with her pin point passing.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Not only will Clark shoot from just about anywhere past half court, she'll also throw an entry pass to Czinano from just about anywhere past half court. Some of those assists were filthy.

Never mind comparisons to Bueckers, mostly what I see is a quicker Ionescu w/ more of a scorers mentality.

Reaction Score
Clark is an amazing player. This freshmen class is probably the strongest ever with a lot of freshmen leading their teams or playing key roles.

Reaction Score

HOWever. . .

WOW!!! Well, Iowa just got past Michigan State. Once again, Clark was not the high scorer, putting up just 20, but figuring out how to win. Is Iowa a major surprise this post-season? Is this setting up a big showdown with Paige?

donalddoowop

Reaction Score
WOW!!! Well, Iowa just got past Michigan State. Once again, Clark was not the high scorer, putting up just 20, but figuring out how to win. Is Iowa a major surprise this post-season? Is this setting up a big showdown with Paige?
The fact that you say just 20 is an indication of just how good Clark is. Whether there will be a showdown with Paige depends on what bracket Iowa is in and how long each team will last.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I'll say again I want no part of either Iowa.
nervous soul food GIF by WE tv

Reaction Score

I don't know if the term surprise is fair in the case of Iowa. They've had the potential to play like this from what I've seen during the season. Doing it for a full game was their challenge.

They have at least 3 or 4 games during conference play that could have gone their way. Several of them were due to being down by 15+ points by half time, only to outscore their opponent in the second but coming up short. Their only game against Michigan State for example. Down 22 and lost by 6 points (if memory serves correct).

It's now coming together at the time it needs to for with the NCAA tournament coming. I've enjoyed seeing how they've progressed this season.

Bliss

Mizzou Ballyhoo
Reaction Score
If this (Iowa makes tournament as Big10 Tournament champions) happens I still don't see that as a reason to make additional comparisons between the players. As many have pointed out you are talking about players in vastly different situations and teams with vastly different styles of play. They are both extraordinary players though-on that we can agree.

Paige is from MN and Caitlin is from IA........Salty women who refuse to back down to anyone or anything. I like it.

donalddoowop

Reaction Score
When a team has Clark at guard, Czinano at the post and Warnock (sp) playing like she has been, they can be a dangerous team. It seems like Iowa and some other teams, even those that are not highly ranked, have players who shoot three pointers more accurately than UConn does. If Iowa truly is peaking now, some brackets are going to be destroyed.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
When a team has Clark at guard, Czinano at the post and Warnock (sp) playing like she has been, they can be a dangerous team. It seems like Iowa and some other teams, even those that are not highly ranked, have players who shoot three pointers more accurately than UConn does. If Iowa truly is peaking now, some brackets are going to be destroyed.
Clark & Iowa of 2021 could very well be like Oregon of 2017 with Sabrina. That team had a mediocre regular season 23 and 11 before going on an NCAA tournament run where they took out Temple, Duke #2 Seed in Durham, and Maryland #3 Seed in Bridgeport.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Clark & Iowa of 2021 could very well be like Oregon of 2017 with Sabrina. That team had a mediocre regular season 23 and 11 before going on an NCAA tournament run where they took out Temple, Duke #2 Seed in Durham, and Maryland #3 Seed in Bridgeport.
Having attended that regional (UConn/UCLA was up next), one of my most enjoyable memories was watching MD fans unload their tickets for the Elite 8, as UConn fans couldn’t snarf them fast enough.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
Not only will Clark shoot from just about anywhere past half court, she'll also throw an entry pass to Czinano from just about anywhere past half court. Some of those assists were filthy.

Never mind comparisons to Bueckers, mostly what I see is a quicker Ionescu w/ more of a scorers mentality.
Great observation, I think that's a terrific comparison.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom