OT: HBO says goodbye to boxing | The Boneyard

OT: HBO says goodbye to boxing

Marat

The Champ Is Here.
Reaction Score
Yep same situation as myself. Now the question is whether or not to keep HBO now.

Reaction Score
Testing out DAZN for the free month, b/w the WBSS/Matchroom Boxing cards and the occasional worthwhile MMA card i'll probably end up keeping it and dropping HBO, I can always download shows I like. The responses I'm seeing on social media that this somehow represents the death of boxing is very weird tho, Showtime has been killing HBO for awhile now and Arum took his stable to ESPN. Boxing is still there just gotta go to other places to watch it.

Reaction Score
This is kind of crazy news even if it isn't unexpected at this point.

Name keep poppin' up face keep poppin' up
On the tube I'm just watchin' Pacquaio box 'em up
How would I know HBO would get a shot of us
Sitting so close that we almost got snot on us

- Jay-Z

Marat

The Champ Is Here.
Reaction Score
Testing out DAZN for the free month, b/w the WBSS/Matchroom Boxing cards and the occasional worthwhile MMA card i'll probably end up keeping it and dropping HBO, I can always download shows I like. The responses I'm seeing on social media that this somehow represents the death of boxing is very weird tho, Showtime has been killing HBO for awhile now and Arum took his stable to ESPN. Boxing is still there just gotta go to other places to watch it.

I tried out DAZN last week for the Joshua/Povetkin fight. The quality was pretty good on my PC and tablet but when streaming via chromecast to my TV it kept buffering. It seems DAZN may play a bigger role .

Reaction Score
I tried out DAZN last week for the Joshua/Povetkin fight. The quality was pretty good on my PC and tablet but when streaming via chromecast to my TV it kept buffering. It seems DAZN may play a bigger role .
There's a fix for that Chromecast issue, u likely had your TV powering your Chromecast, use a regular power source instead.

Reaction Score
There's a fix for that Chromecast issue, u likely had your TV powering your Chromecast, use a regular power source instead.
That's good to know. Thanks

Reaction Score
I hate Boxing and don't have HBO so nothing here for me. LOL!

Reaction Score
I think he was joking. U hate boxing and don’t have hbo ?? Well even tho hbo was not what it used to be-nor is boxing - I hope u were able to appreciate the great shows they offered during thier golden era(2000-2010) I also hope you were able to enjoy some incredibly exciting boxing in their earlier days - if not, boy did u miss out. Watch the gatti-ward trilogy and tell me if u still hate boxing after that.

Reaction Score
I'll miss it. Boxing fan especially the big fights. Showtime is great for boxing fans but it was good to have at least 2 channels for viewing. Hope Espn steps up.

Reaction Score
Not to mention all the great sports documentaries hbo has had over the years. Funny because when I was younger HBO was the cool thing to have that showed all the movies- then in the late 90s when the Sopranos came along they went thru a stretch were they created some really great shows(the wire, boardwalk empire, entourage, deadwood, Rome etc....) and documentaries They re still going strong with Game of thrones tho. Ironic how thier movies are completely irrelevant now.

Reaction Score
I'll miss it. Boxing fan especially the big fights. Showtime is great for boxing fans but it was good to have at least 2 channels for viewing. Hope Espn steps up.
ESPN has the whole Top Rank roster, which was pretty much all HBO had + Canelo/GGG/Kovalev/Ward afer PBC formed. Ward retired, Kovalev's mystique is finished, so its pretty much whats left to Canelo and GGG to figure out where they head to. Not a fan of ESPN's production or broadcast team but they're putting a lot of money into boxing , only downside is you have to pay an extra $5 a month for the ESPN+app to see all the fights.

Reaction Score
Luckily for hbo , Game of Thrones has helped them bridge the gap between all the great series they had till now - once GOT is over HBO be hard-pressed to find a quality show - judging by recent releases of what they ve offered.

Reaction Score
why do you "hate" boxing?
Too violent and senseless for my taste. I have also stopped watching American Footsball and never watched hockey. I also don’t watch golf, tennis or nascar. I will follow Tiger at times. I like soccer, basketball and baseball occasionally. Big Red Sox fan.

Reaction Score
Remember a couple big upsets that were not considered PPV worthy. Tyson/Douglas and Foreman/Moorer. Couple of classics.

Reaction Score
Too violent and senseless for my taste. I have also stopped watching American Footsball and never watched hockey. I also don’t watch golf, tennis or nascar. I will follow Tiger at times. I like soccer, basketball and baseball occasionally. Big Red Sox fan.
Understandable. I dont mind people who think is too violent and choose not to watch. The only thing that irks me are the people that arent consistant like Mitch Wilbon or whatever his name is on PTI. Hates mma and calls it too violent, barbaric and basically human cockfighting but is a huge boxing and football fan:confused: atleast youre consistent.

GemParty

Co~host of the Sliders & Curveballs Podcast
Reaction Score
Used to love HBO boxing. If you walked around your town, the mall, baseball fields, even local bars and asked 500 people who the Heavyweight Champion of the World is, how many people would know? It used to be exciting. Tyson, Holyfield, Lewis, Ward, Gatti, Oscar, even Roy Jones. Nobody cares now. Even the GGG fight recently had varying opinions of who won.

Last edited:

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
It's on another channel, who cares really?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom