OT - Hartford | The Boneyard

OT - Hartford

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Has anyone been out in this city recently? Startled at how steep a downhill it's taken. Where 12-15 years ago would actually travel up here from Ffld county to hit the bars, not sure I'd even consider again after tonight. Hit up a concert with a couple/friends and got a hotel downtown with ideas of keeping it going, faced with what has become just a completely ghetto scene. And that a light description of what the crowd looks like roaming the streets. Downtown Hartford is officially a shithole of which I will avoid like the plague. When asking of a cop patrolling the streets where to go to avoid the scum, he suggests going to black bear for a couple drinks and starts referring to a recent shooting. Some dark days have fallen on the state capitol, and I'm not one easily struck. Wow.

Reaction Score
Who'd you see? Downtown Hartford became that bad, huh? At least it's not Detroit. And Bridgeport sucks for any night life kind of stuff. Besides the Sound Tigers and Bluefish. We're in a major so-called recession. It won't be forgotten.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
Yeah! Avoid Hartford! Don't give it your business!

That should solve everything!!

Reaction Score
Who'd you see? Downtown Hartford became that bad, huh? At least it's not Detroit. And Bridgeport sucks for any night life kind of stuff. Besides the Sound Tigers and Bluefish. We're in a major so-called recession. It won't be forgotten.

We're in a recession? Stop over in West Harrtford Center and wait 45 minutes to get into Bricco on a Tuesday night and I think you'll see that theory evaporate instantly.

Hartford is a dangerous, dirty shthole. No reason to spend a single minute there.

Reaction Score
I was at veto on the park with 8 old college friends. then walked up to city steam, Vaughn, then trumball kitchen, and finished at black eye ...many of the places were dead.

Reaction Score
We're in a recession? Stop over in West Harrtford Center and wait 45 minutes to get into Bricco on a Tuesday night and I think you'll see that theory evaporate instantly.

Hartford is a dangerous, dirty shthole. No reason to spend a single minute there.
Not sure if you've been paying attention, but the rich have been get richer and everyone else has been get poorer.

GemParty

Co~host of the Sliders & Curveballs Podcast
Reaction Score
The one lively area of downtown EVERY weekend is Allyn ST. Or, walk by The Russian Lady any Saturday near 11pm, its mobbed with high heels & skirts.

Reaction Score
Has anyone been out in this city recently? Startled at how steep a downhill it's taken. Where 12-15 years ago would actually travel up here from Ffld county to hit the bars, not sure I'd even consider again after tonight. Hit up a concert with a couple/friends and got a hotel downtown with ideas of keeping it going, faced with what has become just a completely ghetto scene. And that a light description of what the crowd looks like roaming the streets. Downtown Hartford is officially a ****hole of which I will avoid like the plague. When asking of a cop patrolling the streets where to go to avoid the scum, he suggests going to black bear for a couple drinks and starts referring to a recent shooting. Some dark days have fallen on the state capitol, and I'm not one easily struck. Wow.
Help me out...please describe this ghetto scum you encountered.

Reaction Score
The one lively area of downtown EVERY weekend is Allyn ST. Or, walk by The Russian Lady any Saturday near 11pm, its mobbed with high heels & skirts.

That's your best bet in Hartford these days. Have always had a good time there

Reaction Score
Seriously what is this ghetto scum you saw downtown? Is that code for black people? So sick of people bashing on Hartford, it's a city of course it has some problems but the constant nonsense about how you can't go into downtown Hartford without a bulletproof vest on is so annoying.

Reaction Score
What are the women wearing?

Reaction Score
The cultural center of that area is The Cheescake Factory. No thanks.

And Burger King is the cultural center of Hartford.

The Russian Lady , City Steam & Black Bear are nice. Pigs Eye Pub used to be my place but I probably haven't been there in years and I'll go to the new Coaches for a pre UConn game drink. Other than that I have no idea. I remember my friend getting kicked out of Bourbon Street for wearing boots and forgetting to lock my car door and having all of my change (LOL) stolen. Other than UConn games, the parade in 2011 and a graduation party this year I have only been there 3 times in the last 5 years and 2 of those were for weddings. Why go to Hartford when you can just go to West Hartford.

Reaction Score
When reading this board sometimes its hard to tell whether you've logged into Stormfront by accident. Lol @ speaking in code with "ghetto scene", just say it how you meant it, you didn't want to be around Blacks or Hispanics.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
When reading this board sometimes its hard to tell whether you've logged into Stormfront by accident.

Hilarious line. Well said.

Reaction Score
You should take a look over at the cesspool forum, you would think you were at a KKK rally. Actually don't take a look, it's scary how some of the posters think.

Reaction Score
We're in a recession? Stop over in West Harrtford Center and wait 45 minutes to get into Bricco on a Tuesday night . . .

I love the way you equate some of the wealthiest people in the country waiting for dinner and the economy doing well.

I'm sure, right before the first shots of the Russian revolution were fired, there were a bunch of rich people eating somewhere just as nice as the Bricco.

I find it fascinating that there is a small, but shrinking, segment of the population that doesn't see/won't admit that the economy is bad and getting worse. Gasoline is at the highest August price in history, and that's with demand in the U.S. at multi decade lows.

Is it a political thing? Is it a patriotic thing? Is it a Pollyanna thing? Maybe you're living in West Hartford. Where I'm at, the signs of grinding economic downturn are everywhere.

Regarding the Stormfront references, what's the deal? Dude says that it was "ghetto" in Hartford and suddenly he's a KKK member? You're the ones who equated "ghetto" with race. He didn't.

To me "ghetto" has a very clear, very obvious meaning - young men who believe that being a thug-bad ass is the most important thing. They are unemployed. They listen to violent music - typically rap. They wear their pants baggy and their hats askew. They are typically sociopaths. They father children and don't care much what happens to them. They call women "hoes and ". They don't pay taxes. They commit crimes. They are violent.

NO MATTER WHAT COLOR THEY ARE.​

That is ghetto. If Hartford happens to have more white than black than hispanic than asian ghetto types, who cares? The poster made a simple observation.

Perhaps what the issue is is that you don't think middle aged, productive citizens should criticize those who are adherents to the ghetto culture. Perhaps, because the ghetto culture originated with blacks, you believe that any use of "ghetto" or "ghetto culture" is an attack on all black people.

Don't care. Dude - thanks for the heads up. I understood what you meant. The people with rainbows coming out of their asses in this thread can go reinvigorate downtown, because they are not, apparently, repulsed by the young hoods I described above (at least not the black or hispanic ones).

Reaction Score
dapriest, thanks for clearing things up and completely proving aceboon's point. Nothing more repulsive than these ghetto people with their baggy jeans and hats askew, makes me nauseous just thinking about it.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
Hartford has serious problems. Different states deal with the city-suburb-exurb-rural issue in various ways. For better or worse, CT's way is not to the benefit of cities.

If you talk to folks from say, Happy Valley in Mass or the Berkshires, you'll hear a certain level of resentment regarding the amount of state money that stays in Boston. In Georgia, counties really matter as political entities, whereas in CT they don't. The result in Georgia is that the city of Atlanta gets a lot of tax revenue coming from other parts of Fulton and DeKalb Counties (which Atlanta straddles). Despite the complaints, the result is that Boston and Atlanta are really nice towns. Sure there are rougher areas of both, but they're both places people want to visit and live.

Their justification for commanding state/county funding is one Hartford could use as well, namely that lots of people make money there and use city resources (directly and indirectly), so the city is entitled to some of that money back regardless of where you commute from. I am not going to get into a debate about what's right or wrong here- simply pointing out the difference in approach and its impact on the city of Hartford. Many people are employed in Hartford, but few people of means live there, leaving it with no tax base to deal with the decay.

Personally, I go to Hartford for the following:

• UConn games
  • Other events at the XL Center
  • Outdoor concerts at Comast Theater
  • Occasional meal at Feng or Trumbull kitchen
  • Taking my kids to the CT Science Center
  • The occasional indie movie at the Bowtie Cinemas
  • Wadsworth-Atheneum
  • My nephrologist is affliated with Hartford Hospital
That's pretty much it. Most of those things are very close to one another, and I don't really hang out in Hartford other than for the specific purpose for my going there.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
I love the way you equate some of the wealthiest people in the country waiting for dinner and the economy doing well.

I'm sure, right before the first shots of the Russian revolution were fired, there were a bunch of rich people eating somewhere just as nice as the Bricco.

I find it fascinating that there is a small, but shrinking, segment of the population that doesn't see/won't admit that the economy is bad and getting worse. Gasoline is at the highest August price in history, and that's with demand in the U.S. at multi decade lows.

Is it a political thing? Is it a patriotic thing? Is it a Pollyanna thing? Maybe you're living in West Hartford. Where I'm at, the signs of grinding economic downturn are everywhere.

Regarding the Stormfront references, what's the deal? Dude says that it was "ghetto" in Hartford and suddenly he's a KKK member? You're the ones who equated "ghetto" with race. He didn't.

To me "ghetto" has a very clear, very obvious meaning - young men who believe that being a thug-bad ass is the most important thing. They are unemployed. They listen to violent music - typically rap. They wear their pants baggy and their hats askew. They are typically sociopaths. They father children and don't care much what happens to them. They call women "hoes and ". They don't pay taxes. They commit crimes. They are violent.

NO MATTER WHAT COLOR THEY ARE.​

That is ghetto. If Hartford happens to have more white than black than hispanic than asian ghetto types, who cares? The poster made a simple observation.

Perhaps what the issue is is that you don't think middle aged, productive citizens should criticize those who are adherents to the ghetto culture. Perhaps, because the ghetto culture originated with blacks, you believe that any use of "ghetto" or "ghetto culture" is an attack on all black people.

Don't care. Dude - thanks for the heads up. I understood what you meant. The people with rainbows coming out of their asses in this thread can go reinvigorate downtown, because they are not, apparently, repulsed by the young hoods I described above (at least not the black or hispanic ones).
Didnt-read-lol_o_141041.gif

Reaction Score
You should take a look over at the cesspool forum, you would think you were at a KKK rally. Actually don't take a look, it's scary how some of the posters think.

He said that he thought it was ghetto. Why can't you just take what he said at face value? Are you just trying to look for racist undertones?

Reaction Score
If you don't think there are already built in connotations and undertones when the word ghetto(and scum thrown in there as well) is thrown around, then you should probably sit this one out and make a u-turn back to Candyland.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Since no one asked, I'll give my two cents.

When someone says ghetto or thug and its connotation is black or minority who cares?

Why?

Because when someone says trailer park trash, most people think white trash.

When someone says barrio we associate it with hispanics.

When someone says hillbilly or redneck, its connotation is inbred southerners.

Etc, etc.

When was the last time anyone said, "Screw this ghetto, let's go to the trailer park."

Real issue is that regardless of race, ethnicity or prejudice what anyone is saying is that its an area lacking good housing, business environment or appeal to the general public and isn't ripe for economic growth.

Which is the real issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01