OT: Hartford reaches deal to finish baseball stadium. | The Boneyard

OT: Hartford reaches deal to finish baseball stadium.

Status
Not open for further replies.

UC313

Knucklehead
Reaction Score
So who's arch inserting as a pinch hit GC? Or are they trotting out centerplan again to pull the golden sombrero?

Reaction Score
So who's arch inserting as a pinch hit GC? Or are they trotting out centerplan again to pull the golden sombrero?
Arch has to pay for the completion of the stadium and there are hundreds of competent contractors who can complete the job. Centerplan isn't one of them. It is doubtful that Centerplan will ever get another commercial job. For one thing the cost of their performance bond (if they can get one at all) would put them at a bidding disadvantage but the big reason is that they have no idea what they are doing.

Reaction Score
Arch has to pay for the completion of the stadium and there are hundreds of competent contractors who can complete the job. Centerplan isn't one of them. It is doubtful that Centerplan will ever get another commercial job. For one thing the cost of their performance bond (if they can get one at all) would put them at a bidding disadvantage but the big reason is that they have no idea what they are doing.

Centerplan is basically bankrupted at this point. They really got screwed on this.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I'm glad. I'm hopeful that the completed park will bring people back to Hartford and spur growth.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score

And your ascertain concerning Centerplan is based on what?
The city, of course, is without blame
Got it

Reaction Score
Odds are the city is as much to blame as centerplan in this fiasco

MattMang23

Adding Nothing to the Conversation
Reaction Score
I'm glad. I'm hopeful that the completed park will bring people back to Hartford and spur growth.

So is Deepster.

Reaction Score
And your ascertain concerning Centerplan is based on what?
The city, of course, is without blame
Got it
There is plenty of blame to go around beginning with an unrealistic schedule. All of my predictions concerning the stadium completion came true and I'll leave it at that.

Reaction Score
Centerplan is a very competent company and has a ton of other commercial projects going on. They will continue to operate.

This project was probably over their heads and out of their normal scope of work. I tend to believe the city and Centerplan share equal blame in this fiasco. I've worked on sport complex construction site that started from scratch there are always issues and delays and a majority of the time it's not the contractors fault

August_West

Conscience do cost
Reaction Score
anyone can reach a "deal"

We can all make a "deal" together right now.

It's completing the "deal" that seems to be the challenge, no?

Reaction Score
Centerplan is a very competent company and has a ton of other commercial projects going on. They will continue to operate.

They've dumped a ton of staff since the city locked them off the project and withheld the payouts. Huge cuts. It wasn't pretty.

Reaction Score
The latter would make them not competent for this project, no?

Hartford and their planners deemed them competent enough to allow them to bid on and award them the contract. You have to prove yourself competent and capable of doing the work with proof of past work/projects, the whole 9 to bid on these contracts. They don't just let anyone bid on these projects

Hartford is just as much to blame for allowing their first attempt at a ballpark

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Hartford and their planners deemed them competent enough to allow them to bid on and award them the contract. You have to prove yourself competent and capable of doing the work with proof of past work/projects, the whole 9 to bid on these contracts. They don't just let anyone bid on these projects

Hartford is just as much to blame for allowing their first attempt at a ballpark
In other words:

Reaction Score
There's 3 sides to a story. No one knows the facts yet. I can't trust hartford version of the facts

Reaction Score
Sometimes Development is binary: You know that there is a time deadline that makes your Economic Model obsolete. Baseball stadium is not nearly as black and white as some ... but there was a date certainty that Centerplan knew. That simply is the risk they took on. Yes, they have lots of projects going. They did not overcome the obstacles on this one. Yes, they will get hurt in many ways.

Reaction Score
In other words:

To some extent, yes. Centerplan's biggest asset, besides its portfolio of projects, is Bob Landino and his political connections from his time in the state legislature. I'm sure that those connections worked to his advantage in the bidding process, apparently to the point that the city was willing to look past the fact that the ballpark aspect of the development was well outside of their comfort zone, even if the rest of the project was right in their wheelhouse.

Reaction Score
Centerplan should have hired a sub to construct the stadium. The problems started very early on when the delivery of steel was late. That set everything back and they never caught up.

The rest of the DoNo plan was all in their wheel house. They could probably do a great job on the rest of the project but that ship has sailed.

Even with the set backs, I suspect the ball park will be a very big success. It's the rest of the project that is now sidelined and perhaps crippled.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TNS

Top Bottom