OT: Hang in there Ca Boneyarders | The Boneyard

OT: Hang in there Ca Boneyarders

Rocket009

Santa Cruz. CA
Reaction Score
With CA on fire, and tens of thousands having to leave their homes (we were evacuated at midnight on Tuesday) - hope other CA Boneyarders out there are safe. Possessions can be replaced, people can't.

It's likely to be a brutal week or so, but hang in there!

Take care everyone.

Reaction Score
I'm glad you're safe @Rocket009. When I worked in the Silicon Valley a couple decades back, I lived in Felton and hiked among the redwoods in Big Basin several times a month. A magical place. What a terrible thing to happen to such a wonderful community and slice of nature. :(

Stay safe, you're in my prayers!

Reaction Score
We have 3 days temperatures 106, 109, 106 degF in Southern CA. Air condition is on all day. Wake up morning outside is still 80 degF. Never have such high temperature before.

Stay safe everyone ....

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Our air conditioner gave out Sunday evening around 5:00 pm. Luckily I was able to get a technician to come by late the next morning. He was able to repair it in less than an hour. It cost me $497, a price I was more than willing to pay to restore our air, as the forecast that day was 105.

Our air conditioner ran out of freon last year during a similar heatwave, it was almost unbearable. The inside temperature got up to 95. We thought we had died and gone to heaven when the air came back on. It’s funny how we take some things for granted like air conditioning.

The forecast here at the beginning of this heatwave was about 11-13 straight days of triple digit temperatures. 101 for today, then 97 & 95 over the weekend. Then back to triple digits on Wednesday. :(

Prayers for the fire fighters and the support personnel fighting the fires here. They are truly earning their money this month working long hours on the fire lines in blistering heat. This too shall pass. Stay safe (and cool) everyone.

Last edited:

Bama fan

" As long as you lend a hand"
Reaction Score
Good luck to all the residents of California, and I hope that those in the Boneyard stay safe and keep us informed. This on top of the covid outbreak is surely straining the system and people's nerves.

ochoopsfan

OC Hoops Fan
Reaction Score
Lucky there are no fires near me. The heat and the muggy air, for California standards, has been bad this week. I live about 5.5 miles from the ocean, as the crow flies, and the temperatures were still around 98. I hope any other BY'ers in troubled areas remain safe.
Bring on the winter.

Reaction Score
The sun looked like a red circle in the sky this morning because of all the smoke. Went shopping so with the smoke and having to wear a mask it made it doubly hard to breath. We are not in much danger fire wise where i live but we still get the smoke.

Reaction Score
Another Santa Cruz denizen here. Haven’t had to evacuate yet, but we live just three blocks from the UCSC campus which was evacuated this afternoon.

Our go-bags are packed and in the car which is backed into the garage ready to go. We will stay as long as it is safe, partly because of looters who are already active.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
With CA on fire, and tens of thousands having to leave their homes (we were evacuated at midnight on Tuesday) - hope other CA Boneyarders out there are safe. Possessions can be replaced, people can't.

It's likely to be a brutal week or so, but hang in there!

Take care everyone.
One of my wife's mentors in glass art has her home and teaching studio in the Bonny Doon section of Santa Cruz. She confirmed today that her home is (currently) still ok, but is of course nervous and worried, she was evacuated about the same time as you were, I believe.

For those who have never visited Santa Cruz - a wonderful, beautiful place to visit while my wife was in classes. Great food, wonderful ocean views, and - those redwoods, of course.

Golden Husky

The Midas Touch
Reaction Score
Very sorry to hear that so many Northern Californian residents are being tested by nature's wrath.

It is warm here in San Diego (La Costa, actually) but I'd be an ingrate to complain about temperatures in the low eighties when others are suffering with triple-digit heat. I live three miles from the Pacific, enjoy a breeze off the ocean and have gone full calendar years without having to turn on either my heat or air conditioning (the SD Chamber of Commerce loves disclosures such as that) but my AC has been in use parts of this week, if only to keep my six fur-wearing Golden Retrievers--one of which just had surgery to remove a mass from his liver-- comfortable. That said, what we're experiencing here does not compare with the threat of wild fires.

Stay safe my BY brethren.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Their smoke came rolling in about 3 days ago and it is nasty. We are under air quality alert; very bad.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
It is warm here in San Diego (La Costa, actually) but I'd be an ingrate to complain about temperatures in the low eighties when others are suffering with triple-digit heat. I live three miles from the Pacific, enjoy a breeze off the ocean

Stay safe my BY brethren.
My report is similar to Golden Husky, although I live about 200 miles north. I live about 5 miles from the Pacific. Temperatures, while hot for HERE, haven't exceeded the high 80s. We had a couple of pretty smoky days but today seemed better. Other friends are not so lucky. I hear it is now RAINING in Santa Cruz which is a blessing and near-miracle. And yes, it is worth dealing with fires and earthquakes to live here. You just have to be wise about exactly where you choose to live. There are certain areas that shouldn't be developed here but the almighty dollar makes people do foolish things!

Reaction Score
Unfortunately, the “rain” here in Santa Cruz did not even completely cover the ground - On my patio about 2 or 3 drops per square inch. But still welcome! It did cool off quite a bit and the wind shifted blowing the smoke away from us. No new dry lightning strikes so far.

Fingers crossed!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom