OT; Hail Caesar!

Status
Not open for further replies.

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
elzorrogris said:
Comic genius died today at 91. YouTube Video

A true legend, pretty much unknown to today's younger set I would guess. Their loss!

Talk about a "coaching tree"....he was the Henry Iba of comedy.

Until reading his obit, I didn't know how difficult his middle years were. I'm glad that since 1990 or so, things were better for him. RIP

Reaction Score
First Shirley Temple and her great cocktails, and now Sid Caesar and his delicious salads. Who's next? Maggie Smith and her yummy frozen pies?

ChicagoGG

Windy City Kitty
Reaction Score
I remember, as a kid, watching Sid Caesar and Imogene Coca on (I believe it was) "Your Show of Shows." My parents would laugh and laugh. Ah, memories. May he rest in peace.

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
Us old folks recall the inimitable "Show of Shows," a live comedy show that has never been matched in its unique combination of quality and quantity.

Quantity: 39 one-hour live shows annually!

Quality: The on-stage/TV screen genius (I use this word judiciously) of Sid Caesar, reinforced by Carl Reiner, Imogene Coca, Harold Morris, Nanette Fabray et al. They performed skits devised by writers like Larry Gelbart, Neil Simon, and a couple of rookies named Mel Brooks and Woody Allen.

Permit a historical note. The "Show of Shows" was a dominant hit in the earliest days of black-and-white TV, appealing to what was then a largely urban audience. Gradually, TV channels and sets spread to rural America and shows like "The Hit Parade" and "The Lawrence Welk Hour" captured the ratings.

Carl Reiner was once asked by an interviewer how the "Show of Shows" team reacted to this development. Reiner dead-panned his response:

"We watched the Lawrence Welk Show."

[pause for effect.]

"He was funnier."​

Zorro

Nuestro Zorro Amigo
Reaction Score
AND Your Show of Shows was performed live AND I once read an interview with Caeser in which he said that he was drunk most of the time during the shows!!! I still think that he and Imogene Coca were the funniest pair of comedians I personally ever saw.

Biff

Mega Monster Moderator
Reaction Score
I believe my fellow oldsters would also recall his awesome ability to
pretend-speak several languages (Italian, Japanese, German are the ones I remember).
A few years ago (probably at that time in his mid 80s?) he was a guest on the show "Who's Line is it Anyway?". Drew Cary and the cast of comedians on the show treated him like a king. And, to them in their profession, he really was one.

wire chief

Testmeister
Reaction Score
Kib mentions Your Hit Parade as a balm to rural America...but not
for long. As rock & roll took over the hits, listeners deserted in great #s,
bringing about a cancelation as early as '56.

Zorro

Nuestro Zorro Amigo
Reaction Score
Leaving Snooky Lanson and the Hit Paraders (sp?) high and dry.

Ozzie Nelson

RIP, Ozzie
Reaction Score
Sid’s problems with drugs and booze were stereotypically disappointing to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom