OT: Gus Johnson Champions League | The Boneyard

OT: Gus Johnson Champions League

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
America needs people who know "soccer" calling soccer games, not some dude who just has a reputation as an interesting sports play by play guy.

Reaction Score
I hate soccer and probably wont watch regardless, but if I was forced to watch, I'd rather have Gus calling it than some Englishman droning on and on. That's just me though.
It's me too

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Gus did a pretty good job. I liked the telecast. It didn't feel compelled to educate the newbies. They let the game speak for itself.

Reaction Score
he sucked. it's obvious that he's out of his element. if you need gus johnson yelling like an idiot to get you to watch soccer, you probably shouldn't be watching.

he's not as bad as bob ley though. don't even get me started on that dude.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
he sucked. it's obvious that he's out of his element. if you need gus johnson yelling like an idiot to get you to watch soccer, you probably shouldn't be watching.

He wasn't yelling like an idiot, he kicked it up at appropriate times. He might turn out OK. I'll take Bob Ley and give you Jack Edwards.

Reaction Score
He wasn't yelling like an idiot, he kicked it up at appropriate times. He might turn out OK. I'll take Bob Ley and give you Jack Edwards.
"yelling like an idiot" was admittedly a bit hyperbolic (how great is that word btw).

Reaction Score
Ian Darke and Steve McManaman -- the team who have done the EPL games on ESPN -- are FAR superior to Gus Johnson. It's a shame that ESPN lost the EPL rights after this year. Gus Johnson is clearly doing his homework and I've noticed improvement in the past few games that he has done but you can just tell that he doesn't know the game. He really needs someone GREAT next to him and Warren Barton is a better studio analyst than play by play guy.

The appeal of Gus Johnson is how crazy he gets and that works better with sports like basketball or hockey that juts have non-stop action. I am as big of a soccer fan as there is but even I can admit that soccer games consist of a few climactic moments and a bunch of blown chances.

That was just a great game though. Up and down non-stop. Bayern looks set to dominate Europe over the next few years. I'm hoping Dortmund can find some good replacements for Goetze and Lewandowski (assuming he leaves as is rumored).

Reaction Score
Gus Johnson SUCKS! Was so glad when cbs let him go. he is just so over the top sometimes it just gets annoying. hes a younger version of dick vitale.

Reaction Score
I don't even know what the hell this thread is about.....thought it had something to do with basketball and the old Sonics GJ.....

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
My favorite thing is when posters come on soccer threads to say how much they hate soccer. It's bloody comedic.

intlzncster

Reaction Score

I completely agree with that point, but I think we could give Gus a little time. He's really not a bad announcer in general, and I think if he puts the time and energy into it, he might work out. I mean, do you really have to intimately know the game to call the play by play? Your color guys do, but calling the action is just experience and skill.

Personally, I hate Alexi Lalas. Pompous ass who thinks he's better than he was. Famous only for his red tomato hair and playing on the US team that was in the USA world cup.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Personally, I hate Alexi Lalas. Pompous ass who thinks he's better than he was.

+1 Had in good World Cup in 1994 then turned clubhouse lawyer and helped sabotage the 1998 team. A joke of a general manager and an even worse commentator. I can't listen to him.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
+1 Had in good World Cup in 1994 then turned clubhouse lawyer and helped sabotage the 1998 team. A joke of a general manager and an even worse commentator. I can't listen to him.

Heck, I think the only reason he got an overseas contract was because of his red hair.

Reaction Score
America needs people who know "soccer" calling soccer games, not some dude who just has a reputation as an interesting sports play by play guy.

I could lock myself in a room for the next 18 months and study nothing but cricket and I still wouldnt be ready to go over to England and call the Ashes. That's basically the situation Gus is in. I don't think anyone doubted there would be growing pains, but Fox has a long term plan for Gus and by all accounts he's working his ass off. See where he is when Fox has the World Cup in '18. If you think Fox just decided to get the yelling guy and throw him in a booth you'd be wrong.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
I could lock myself in a room for the next 18 months and study nothing but cricket and I still wouldnt be ready to go over to England and call the Ashes. That's basically the situation Gus is in. I don't think anyone doubted there would be growing pains, but Fox has a long term plan for Gus and by all accounts he's working his ass off. See where he is when Fox has the World Cup in '18. If you think Fox just decided to get the yelling guy and throw him in a booth you'd be wrong.

But Cricket is impossible to understand. That's axiomatic. Bad example. :D

And you knew what the Ashes was....

Reaction Score
Yesterday was so boring I had to watch the Duke/Cuse lacrosse game for a while and hated both teams............

Reaction Score
Yesterday was so boring I had to watch the Duke/Cuse lacrosse game for a while and hated both teams............
In those instances, I always feel it's best to just root for both teams to contract diarrhea and start crapping themselves so badly that the game has to be canceled.

intlzncster

Reaction Score

I love lacrosse, because I played it. That said, it's one of those games that has to be watched live imo. The only good thing about TV is the replay. But you can get that when you get home from the game.

I spit on Syracuse and Duke though. I watched 5 minutes of that game and got annoyed with the 2 schools and turned it off.

Reaction Score

Here's a hint - when networks need to turn to branded announcers to try to sell a sport in this country, maybe it's time for the networks to give up and realize America doesn't care what happens in Europe's 'premier' sports.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Here's a hint - when networks need to turn to branded announcers to try to sell a sport in this country, maybe it's time for the networks to give up and realize America doesn't care what happens in Europe's 'premier' sports.

Here's another hint, you don't know what you're talking about. American rights fees for Europe's premier sports have been been the object of bidding wars for the networks. America cares.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
Here's another hint, you don't know what you're talking about. American rights fees for Europe's premier sports have been been the object of bidding wars for the networks. America cares.

Just go out to the bars during big EPL games in any city, and you'll see just how much. Packed out.

Also, check out Portland MLS. 5,000 (?) fans do a big singing march through town to every game. MLS has a sneaky following in the States.

WestHartHusk

$3M a Year With March Off
Reaction Score
Just go out to the bars during big EPL games in any city, and you'll see just how much. Packed out.

Also, check out Portland MLS. 5,000 (?) fans do a big singing march through town to every game. MLS has a sneaky following in the States.

Seattle is averaging about 40,000 a game, Portland sells out nearly the entire season, and numerous other teams (KC, LAG, Van, Montreal, Toronto) are near capacity for all their other games. New teams are now fetching upwards of $100M (from the original $5) and the NY Yankees/Manchester City have partnered to create a new team in NYC. And the EPL contract just went up 4x for next season in the states. A

intlzncster

Reaction Score
Seattle is averaging about 40,000 a game, Portland sells out nearly the entire season, and numerous other teams (KC, LAG, Van, Montreal, Toronto) are near capacity for all their other games. New teams are now fetching upwards of $100M (from the original $5) and the NY Yankees/Manchester City have partnered to create a new team in NYC. And the EPL contract just went up 4x for next season in the states. A

So what are you saying? Not so 'sneaky'? :D

I still can't find the figures for just how many of the Timber's Army march to every game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfreeds

Top Bottom