OT: Goran Dragic to the Heat | The Boneyard

OT: Goran Dragic to the Heat

Status
Not open for further replies.

tykurez

For Your Health
Reaction Score
Because the Heat definitely needed another guard. Not sure who is included in the trade yet as it was just announced by Woj. We'll see what implications are for Shabazz ...

Dragic is the real deal though.

Matrim55

Why is it so hard To make it in America
Reaction Score
They'll have a killer starting 5, and good back court depth with Chalmers & Shabazz.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
I really wish people would drop the notion that the sole objective of NBA teams are to incubate and build up UCONN players so the school looks good. Professional sports teams are about getting the best players to improve their teams and increase their likelihood of winning. If I were the Heat's GM, I'd look at Dragic as a fine guard and great shooter who can make the team better -- it doesn't matter that it moves Shabazz down the depth chart. I'm rooting for him and I want him to succeed, but a large part of his future depends on how he plays and how he improves. And he still has some work to do. I don't blame the Heat for making this move at all.

tykurez

For Your Health
Reaction Score
I really wish people would drop the notion that the sole objective of NBA teams are to incubate and build up UCONN players so the school looks good...

Slow down there cowboy ... nobody is suggesting that. We don't even know who's included in the deal yet. He could stay in Miami and get pushed down the depth chart a bit, he could be going elsewhere, or Miami could be dealing Chalmers/Cole. I brought it up because there's implications here for Shabazz no matter what.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
Slow down there cowboy ... nobody is suggesting that. We don't even know who's included in the deal yet. He could stay in Miami and get pushed down the depth chart a bit, he could be going elsewhere, or Miami could be dealing Chalmers/Cole. I brought it up because there's implications here for Shabazz no matter what.

I guess reading all of the J. Lamb threads has me on edge when it comes to this topic...

Reaction Score
I think the complaints about Shabazz haven't been that they ought to cater to him, but that Cole & Chalmers have been so inefficient that he should get more of a chance. But certainly acquiring Dragic makes a whole lot of sense for the Heat - if they can sign him after the season.

Reaction Score
They must not be sold on Napier long term. You don't trade for a player you'll likely have to pay max money to if you think you have your future PG. Hopefully Shabazz continues to improve and has a solid NBA career.

I really wish people would drop the notion that the sole objective of NBA teams are to incubate and build up UCONN players so the school looks good. Professional sports teams are about getting the best players to improve their teams and increase their likelihood of winning. If I were the Heat's GM, I'd look at Dragic as a fine guard and great shooter who can make the team better -- it doesn't matter that it moves Shabazz down the depth chart. I'm rooting for him and I want him to succeed, but a large part of his future depends on how he plays and how he improves. And he still has some work to do. I don't blame the Heat for making this move at all.

Reaction Score
I think the complaints about Shabazz haven't been that they ought to cater to him, but that Cole & Chalmers have been so inefficient that he should get more of a chance. But certainly acquiring Dragic makes a whole lot of sense for the Heat - if they can sign him after the season.
I think Cole is off to Phoenix

tykurez

For Your Health
Reaction Score
I think Cole is off to Phoenix

Sounds like Cole is off to New Orleans ... still not sure who is involved in the Dragic trade. This deadline is insane.

Edit: Granger, Cole, Shawne Williams, Justin Hamilton and two 1st rounders for Dragic brothers. I think Cole might be packaged off to New Orleans somehow.

Last edited:

Matrim55

Reaction Score
Miami are basically out of first round picks until 2019, I believe. This sets up Shabazz to be Dragic's back-up for the next couple of years - they won't be bringing in any big names via free agency or through the draft.

It's a good situation. He'll get plenty of minutes when Dragic slides over to SG.

Reaction Score
Shabazz is a player who projected to be a good backup PG on a good team, the Heat drafted him to appease LeBron. I don't think this trade has anything to do with their long term or short term views of Shabazz, he is only a role player not a cornerstone piece.

Reaction Score
the godfather does it again. dragic is better than anybody they could get in '16, and riley offed all of his worst players. Starting five of dragic/wade/deng/bosh/whiteside is good enough for the finals.

Reaction Score
That was a great trade pulled off by Riley. The Heat cut loose their deadwood, and with the trade of Norris Cole the Heat fans are loving the move forward with Dragic and Shabazz as their PG's.

tykurez

For Your Health
Reaction Score
That was a great trade pulled off by Riley. The Heat cut loose their deadwood, and with the trade of Norris Cole the Heat fans are loving the move forward with Dragic and Shabazz as their PG's.

As long as they can sign Dragic after this year.

And Chalmers comes off the books after next season ... wonder if they try to get something for him before that.

Reaction Score
As long as they can sign Dragic after this year.

And Chalmers comes off the books after next season ... wonder if they try to get something for him before that.
I heard on ESPN radio today that Dragic was interested in signing long term with only three teams, and Miami was one. (IIRC the others were NYK and LAL)

Reaction Score
the godfather does it again. dragic is better than anybody they could get in '16, and riley offed all of his worst players. Starting five of dragic/wade/deng/bosh/whiteside is good enough for the finals.
Slow down that finals talk. It solidifies the Heat's playoff chances for sure and probably moves them up in standings... but they are currently 22-30 and in 8th place. I'd take Atlanta, Chicago, Washington and Cleveland to come out of the east over the Heat. If if if if if Wade is healthy the Heat can certainly challenge any of those with their starting 5, but thin bench after those 5 and Wade isn't staying healthy thru a postseason anymore = why LeBron left.

Matrim55

Reaction Score
C: Whiteside/Birdman
PF: Bosh/Haslem
SF: Deng/Z. Dragic
SG: Wade/Chalmers
PG: G. Dragic/Shabazz

The reason Dragic is such a great pick-up is because he's a high-usage creator with the ball in his hands - doing a lot of things D. Wade does for the offense but in a different way (much more P'n'R, much less post work).

Important to understand here: this makes all of Chalmers (shooter/game manager, not a creator), Bosh (HoF pick-and-pop PF) and Whiteside (dunks everything on PnR) better players while making Wade far, far less important than he was yesterday.

It's a masterful trade for Miami, even if Zoran turns out to be dead weight (having seen him play internationally, I don't think he will be). Their offense has a real, top-flight facilitator & finisher now (G. Dragic finishes an absurd 70% of his shots at the rim), and an under-30 nucleus (Dragic & Whiteside) who can take the conch as Wade, Bosh & Deng age out.

Just as important: two years from now, when the cap blows up, they're likely to have only Bosh, G. Dragic, Whiteside & Shabazz under contract. So they can make a run at another big name.

Riley is a sorcerer.

Reaction Score
C: Whiteside/Birdman
PF: Bosh/Haslem
SF: Deng/Z. Dragic
SG: Wade/Chalmers
PG: G. Dragic/Shabazz

The reason Dragic is such a great pick-up is because he's a high-usage creator with the ball in his hands - doing a lot of things D. Wade does for the offense but in a different way (much more P'n'R, much less post work).

Important to understand here: this makes all of Chalmers (shooter/game manager, not a creator), Bosh (HoF pick-and-pop PF) and Whiteside (dunks everything on PnR) better players while making Wade far, far less important than he was yesterday.

It's a masterful trade for Miami, even if Zoran turns out to be dead weight (having seen him play internationally, I don't think he will be). Their offense has a real, top-flight facilitator & finisher now (G. Dragic finishes an absurd 70% of his shots at the rim), and an under-30 nucleus (Dragic & Whiteside) who can take the conch as Wade, Bosh & Deng age out.

Just as important: two years from now, when the cap blows up, they're likely to have only Bosh, G. Dragic, Whiteside & Shabazz under contract. So they can make a run at another big name.

Riley is a sorcerer.
I agree it is a great trade, Dragic is an excellent player and the Heat have struggled at PG. When Riley puppeteer-ed Dragic to say Knicks, Lakers or Heat with the other two having zero trade-able assets, Dragic might as well have donned a Heat uni.

The rest of the roster is unchanged though, Whiteside needs to do it over an extended period & aforementioned Wade health issues. So they've certainly gone from playoff fringe to above average, but I wouldn't start on the popsicles yet. However I REALLY really hope that Cleveland and Miami meet in the playoffs. I might take Miami for the 'f' 'u' factor.

Matrim55

Reaction Score
The rest of the roster is unchanged though
This is where I disagree. Dragic is a force-magnifier with huge positional gravity, which will make the other players on that roster better. So while the names are unchanged, I really think the whole roster was just majorly upgraded.

Reaction Score
Dragic is really good but giving him a max deal strikes me as a mistake. The point guard position is just so good these days in the NBA, as good as Dragic is there are still a lot of point guards better than him.

pnow15

Previously pnete
Reaction Score
Bazz is back on on an important team again. Has a shot of getting a ring. He is two years away from being a starter if ever.

Reaction Score
This is where I disagree. Dragic is a force-magnifier with huge positional gravity, which will make the other players on that roster better. So while the names are unchanged, I really think the whole roster was just majorly upgraded.
Offensively we agree, defensively (half the game btw) no. Part of the reason the LeBron era Heat teams were so great was quickness, rotations, trapping, steals etc.. Now they are older and I have to admit I don't know a thing about Dragic defensively, but the rest of the team outside of Whiteside has slowwwwwwwed.

Matrim55

Reaction Score
Offensively we agree, defensively (half the game btw) no. Part of the reason the LeBron era Heat teams were so great was quickness, rotations, trapping, steals etc.. Now they are older and I have to admit I don't know a thing about Dragic defensively, but the rest of the team outside of Whiteside has slowwwwwwwed.
They play a different kind of defense now - fewer rotations, way less aggressive. Partially that's because Bosh has slowed a bit, but over the last two months it's because they now have one of the league's best rim protectors.

Dragic isn't a bad defensive player by any stretch, by the way. Solidly above average by both the eye test and advanced metrics.

Reaction Score
This is pretty standard fare in the NBA though. You rarely see equal talent going in both directions. As with this trade, you commonly see teams trade guys who won't sign long term or where they can get expiring contracts in return to greatly improve payroll flexibility for the future.

tykurez

For Your Health
Reaction Score
Shabazz went for 18 tonight with Bosh out and Dragic not available. Also had 7 rebounds and 6 assists.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom