OT: Good NYT article on Gonzaga and its recruiting | The Boneyard

OT: Good NYT article on Gonzaga and its recruiting

Status
Not open for further replies.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
I thought this was a good read on both the team and how it built up its recruiting pipelines:

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/03/22/s...a-melting-pot-in-gonzaga.html?ref=sports&_r=0

Good insight on what it took for Few to develop his recruiting angle. Another reminder that it may take a while for KO to develop his. We know it took JC a while, and he had a few different changes in strategy as we went from perennial Big East doormat to perennial Big East Champions and frequent National Champions.

I have Gonzaga winning it all this year, and I like the Spurs-style offense analogy.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Few is a great coach over the course of the season, and no one questions his X's and O's or recruiting. He just chokes though.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Few is a great coach over the course of the season, and no one questions his X's and O's or recruiting. He just chokes though.
I know another guy about whom the same could have been said until '99.

If Few goes through UCLA, Duke, MSU and KY to win its first NC, I imagine that will scare off a lot of ghosts.

Reaction Score
I know another guy about whom the same could have been said until '99.

If Few goes through UCLA, Duke, MSU and KY to win its first NC, I imagine that will scare off a lot of ghosts.
They just need to get to the Final Four. I think that will ease them a great deal. Much like UConn in 1999...ironically against Gonzaga. I just remember how tight we played that game. It was torture.

Once they got in, they played free.

Reaction Score
lets pump the breaks on the spurs zags comps. We have seen this act before

Curiouser
Reaction Score
It is a shame that their conference hurts their recruiting.
Yeah, that's kind of my point; they figured out what worked for them, and that's what we need to do now in our changed circumstances (i.e., new coach, new conference):

Struggling to compete with programs like Kentucky, Duke and U.C.L.A. for the top prospects, Gonzaga has developed something like a Moneyball approach to recruiting, offering itself as a home to tall, talented Europeans as well as Americans who were not ideal fits at their old programs.

“To differentiate yourself, sometimes you have to find a niche in recruiting, and Gonzaga has done that,” said Evan Daniels of Scout.com. “They may be in a midmajor conference, but they are a high-major program because they’ve been able to get high-major recruits.”
Recruiting foreign players, particularly big men, has become something of a specialty for Gonzaga. The effort is spearheaded by Tommy Lloyd, who has been an assistant coach under Few since 2001.

“We have a good network over there of recruits we’ve gotten over the years,” Lloyd said. “It’s where we’ve been able to have success.” Lloyd cited Ronny Turiaf, who came to Gonzaga from France in the early 2000s and was drafted in the second round by the Lakers, as the team’s first major foreign star.

“Guys are able to see an established track record now,” Lloyd said. “It’s easy for them to see themselves being successful.”

Karnowski said Lloyd made several visits to see him play, including traveling to his native Poland. “That’s quite a trip,” he said.

In the case of its transfers, Gonzaga has given players second chances. Wiltjer grew up in Portland, Ore., and was heavily recruited by Gonzaga before committing to Kentucky. Nunez missed an entire season at Louisville after sustaining a concussion. Wesley got his degree and took advantage of a recent N.C.A.A. rule allowing graduates to transfer without having to redshirt a year. McClellan was kicked off Vanderbilt’s team after an academic violation and a misdemeanor theft charge.

“They worked hard for my future,” McClellan said of Gonzaga. “There’s a lot of things they did behind the scenes that people don’t see.”

Few, who is in his 16th season as Gonzaga’s head coach, said he tried to do right by transfers.

“Much like our connection with foreign kids, any time you establish a precedent or a history of, Boy, they really served that guy well and I can relate to that guy, then that’s going to help you,” he said.

Nunez said Gonzaga “does a good job embracing everyone.”

“If you come in, you’re handed a role, and that’s your role, and everyone just embraces it,” he said.

Kelly Olynyk, a Canadian who played for Gonzaga and is now on the Boston Celtics, encouraged his countryman Pangos to give the Bulldogs a look.

“He just said he loved it,” Pangos said, “and he told me what he liked about it — what it’s all about, the family environment.”

Then, too, there is Gonzaga’s Flex offense, which emphasizes ball movement.

Wesley said he was struck immediately — in a pickup game, in fact — by “just how unselfish everyone is.” He added, “At Gonzaga, I realized right away, you always pass the ball to the open man, you always make the right play. That’s the basketball I was taught to play.”

This resonance is no accident, according to Lloyd.

“The way these guys play fits our style,” he said. “It’s a skilled style. You have to be able to think and make decisions. And the European kids are brought up that way.”

Finally, players say, integrating outsiders is easier at Gonzaga, which has the family atmosphere one would expect of a smaller school in sleepy Spokane, Wash.

“I’m from Austin, Tex.,” said McClellan. “The population is a lot more than Spokane. But being in a location that is real chill and remote is good for me.”

Reaction Score
I agree and was being sarcastic. Sadly, many here see our conference affiliation as fatal and a permanent excuse for not being able to close.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
There's zero reason why UConn should have to resort to recruiting Euros and transfers.

Zero.

Gonzaga is not and has never been able to recruit top 50 type talent out of high school - they're doing what they have to do, but there's no reason why UConn can't recruit what they need from the high school ranks.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
There's zero reason why UConn should have to resort to recruiting Euros and transfers.

Zero.

Gonzaga is not and has never been able to recruit top 50 type talent out of high school - they're doing what they have to do, but there's no reason why UConn can't recruit what they need from the high school ranks.
To be clear, I'm not saying that that's our angle. I'm just saying we need to find one, because the pitch we've got going now doesn't appear to be producing the desired results. And we have had some success developing foreign players previously, e.g., the Israeli connection in the late 80's and early 90's, and the more recent German connection.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
The international connection is nice for a complimentary piece or two (maybe with an outstanding glue guy like Giffey developing along the way if we're lucky). That being said, recruiting international kids is such a crapshoot that you can't rely on them to be impact recruits. Gonzaga's gotten very lucky with Karnowski and Sabonis turning into very good players, but they shouldn't be arguments as to why internationals should be primary targets when recruiting. I'm all for taking on a wild card with intriguing potential when a scholarship is open and not getting filled otherwise, but only in that situation.

August_West

Conscience do cost
Reaction Score
8893 said:
To be clear, I'm not saying that that's our angle. I'm just saying we need to find one, because the pitch we've got going now doesn't appear to be producing the desired results. And we have had some success developing foreign players previously, e.g., the Israeli connection in the late 80's and early 90's, and the more recent German connection.

Gilad Katz and Uri Cohen-mintz?

Like Stockton and Malone.

Reaction Score

Zero.

Bahhh Humbug,

I want my first Lithuanian Husky sharpshooter.

Reaction Score
I am rooting for gonzaga!! I have a bet if zaga wins I owe my buddy $20 but that's nothing if it means duke/kensucky don't get rings!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MTSuitsky

Top Bottom