OT:Goober is not coming down to breakfast | The Boneyard

OT:Goober is not coming down to breakfast

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blakeon18

Dormie
Reaction Score
George Lindsey died at 83....famously played Goober in the Andy Griffith show.

Trivia: What character did Goober replace....and who played that character?

LesMis89

Dedicated Lurker
Reaction Score
Goober replaced his cousin Gomer Pyle who was played by Jim Nabors.

Nabors got his own series "Gomer Pyle, U.S.M.C" co-starring the wonderful Frank Sutton

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
I heard Lindsay was the "original" Gomer Pyle... before Nabors replaced him. and that when Goober was invented?

Blakeon18

Dormie
Reaction Score
I'm pretty sure that Nabors preceded Lindsey not the other way. If Lindsey was first...and then third.....the 'first' was of mighty short duration. I was [still am] a huge fan of the show. At some point I found out that there is a website of Andy Griffith fans who are kinda nuts in their devotion to the characters and actors and episodes....I think they have a regular reunion where they dress up as their favorite character and recite lines from the show. Clearly they are way over the top fans....not like we Boneyarders regarding the UConn women.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
I'm pretty sure that Nabors preceded Lindsey not the other way. If Lindsey was first...and then third.....the 'first' was of mighty short duration. I was [still am] a huge fan of the show. At some point I found out that there is a website of Andy Griffith fans who are kinda nuts in their devotion to the characters and actors and episodes....I think they have a regular reunion where they dress up as their favorite character and recite lines from the show. Clearly they are way over the top fans....not like we Boneyarders regarding the UConn women.
yup I heard it was very short-lived. I'll investigate further to confirm either way.

Reaction Score
George Lindsey was also a very good Hollywood Squares celebrity; One with whom a contestant should always have been inclined to agree.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
George Lindsey was also a very good Hollywood Squares celebrity; One with whom a contestant should always have been inclined to agree.
I didn't know that, probably after my time. My favorite was Charley Weaver (Cliff Arquette), with whom the constestant likewise should have been inclined to agree. I still remember, and sometimes use in conversation, his "down at the home - that would be the Mount Idy Home for the Super Senile"

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
Lindsay read for the part... then Andy saw Nabors and gave it to him Lindsay came back 2 yrs later to take the Goober role. (google it)

link

Aluminny69

Old Timer
Reaction Score
Some more trivia:

Goober Pyle

Goober was the cousin of Gomer Pyle who was initially often referred to by Gomer, but never seen until his appearance in the episode "Fun Girls", which was incidentally the only episode in which the two appeared in together. Goober was originally only mentioned when Gomer would stop at the Sheriff's office and give Andy his greeting. The exchange went like this:
Gomer: Goober says, "Hey."
Andy: Hey to Goober.
Goober worked at the same filling station as Gomer, and in a way, he filled the void on the show when Gomer left to join the U.S. Marine Corps. Goober was referred to as "Goober Beasley" when he was first introduced, although from then on, his last name was "Pyle", the same as Gomer's.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom