OT: Get A Dog | The Boneyard

OT: Get A Dog

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
They (dogs) give you a lot.
Yes, they do! They can give you viral infections such as rabies and norovirus and bacterial infections including Pasteurella, Salmonella, Brucella, Yersinia enterocolitica, Campylobacter, Capnocytophaga, Bordetella bronchiseptica, Coxiella burnetii, Leptospira, Staphylococcus intermedius and Methicillin resistance staphylococcus aureus. They also can give you Ringworm, Salmonellosis, Leptospirosis, Campylobacter infection , Giardia, Cryptosporidium infection, Roundworms, Hookworms, Scabies, and Harvest mites.
The good news is your chance of contracting a zoonotic illness only increase if you have a compromised immune system due to a pre-existing disease or medical condition. Examples include:
  • Persons infected with HIV or suffering from AIDS
  • Pregnant women
  • Patients being treated with chemotherapy or radiation therapy
  • Elderly people
  • People with chronic diseases or congenital immune system deficiency
  • People who have received organ/bone marrow transplants
Did I skip bites? :D:eek:

Reaction Score
Millie says hi. All I got from her was unconditional love.
120614_003.jpg

dogged1

like a dog with a bone
Reaction Score
Yes, they do! They can give you viral infections such as rabies and norovirus and bacterial infections including Pasteurella, Salmonella, Brucella, Yersinia enterocolitica, Campylobacter, Capnocytophaga, Bordetella bronchiseptica, Coxiella burnetii, Leptospira, Staphylococcus intermedius and Methicillin resistance staphylococcus aureus. They also can give you Ringworm, Salmonellosis, Leptospirosis, Campylobacter infection , Giardia, Cryptosporidium infection, Roundworms, Hookworms, Scabies, and Harvest mites.
The good news is your chance of contracting a zoonotic illness only increase if you have a compromised immune system due to a pre-existing disease or medical condition. Examples include:
  • Pregnant women
  • Elderly people

I see the emojis and I get the joke, but a great big boo to you. :p
A good dog gives you unconditional love, unwavering loyalty, and constant companionship.
But then, you couldn't tell I'm a dog person. :rolleyes:

Reaction Score
Over the years I have been on a number of special interest (WCBB, Drag Racing, Car building, Motorhoming etc) forums and several times a year some poor soul will post after he (almost always HE) after the loss of a faithful canine companion......It's heart wrenching to see the deep connection between a guy and his dog taken away. Sweet really.
While I'm a cat person who resits the urge to adopt another after his two 18 year old sweeties passed away, the loss seems nothing compared to the end of a relationship between a guy and his non-judgemental companion.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
I witnessed my neighbor's dog almost getting hit by a car this afternoon. Was putting the garbage can on the street, and I heard my neighbor scold the dog about running in the street... and sure enough about 10 seconds later.......... a car driving up the street slams on brakes and narrowly avoids running over the pooch. The dog (yorkshire) is about the size of the chicken souvlaki I had for dinner... so I doubt he/she would have survived such an impact.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
I witnessed my neighbor's dog almost getting hit by a car this afternoon. Was putting the garbage can on the street, and I heard my neighbor scold the dog about running in the street... and sure enough about 10 seconds later..... a car driving up the street slams on brakes and narrowly avoids running over the pooch. The dog (yorkshire) is about the size of the chicken souvlaki I had for dinner... so I doubt he/she would have survived such an impact.

Yes I had the distinct displeasure of driving on Easter Sunday with wife and 3 kiddies to my in-laws for our great American commercial Easter only to have that happen to me with a small dog out of nowhere who ran under the car behind the front wheel, so rolled underneath the car, but dead is still dead.

People can eschew the canine and get a donk, which may be intelligent enough not to run after cars:

Post script: Sometimes you people have no sense of humor ... dar humor to be sure, but that was funny!!

Last edited:

Centerstream

I may not be the sharpest knife in the drawer, but
Reaction Score
Not sure of the benefits of living with a dog but we have 5 house dogs (2 Shelties, 3 Sussex Spaniels) and 2 outside dogs, Livestock Guardian Dogs (Pyrenees). :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Reaction Score
My dog Dixie is a Golden Retriever and is nine years old. She is a therapy dog and registered. The only time that she wears her vest is when we venture forth from the Ranch. She is a bonafied member of our family and goes everywhere we go especially me. She is getting old now just like me and when we gaze at each others our eyes we share some great adventures. This pup has not been kenneled and is with me everywhere I go.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
  • Pregnant women
  • Elderly people

I see the emojis and I get the joke, but a great big boo to you. :p
A good dog gives you unconditional love, unwavering loyalty, and constant companionship.
But then, you couldn't tell I'm a dog person. :rolleyes:

One of my best friends had AIDS and died a long slow death from a dog bite. A great big boo to you with no emojis; SVC was onto something there.

dogged1

like a dog with a bone
Reaction Score
One of my best friends had AIDS and died a long slow death from a dog bite. A great big boo to you with no emojis; SVC was onto something there.

My deepest sympathies on the loss of your friend. No matter the reason it is always difficult to understand the loss of someone we care about. But I would humbly suggest that it was AIDS that killed you friend. The infection that overwhelmed his compromised immune system from the dog bite, could have been happened at some other time, from some other event.

Dogs are like people there are good ones and there are bad ones. I guess if you dislike, mistrust, dogs they are all bad. My experience has been the opposite.

Reaction Score
They give you a lot.

See my updated Avatar--11, count em, pups pure bred Samoyeds.
Dogs do hold grudges but not for really very long. My best (puppy) girl was jealous I brought a tiny puppy into the house for a month 3 weeks she would not be in the same room. Then one week decided to just run at full speed and run over the newbie. In a few days they were great friends--except near me. I'm the same way with my wife; except I didn't run over her only her boyfriend.

Reaction Score
My deepest sympathies on the loss of your friend. No matter the reason it is always difficult to understand the loss of someone we care about. But I would humbly suggest that it was AIDS that killed you friend. The infection that overwhelmed his compromised immune system from the dog bite, could have been happened at some other time, from some other event.

Dogs are like people there are good ones and there are bad ones. I guess if you dislike, mistrust, dogs they are all bad. My experience has been the opposite.
As Father Flanagan said: There are no bad dogs only bad people who owned a dog. My rescue dog turned 6 and we've had her for 5 years. 4 of those years she almost went to the pound --only I knew they'd kill her so I suffered with her pre learned bad habits and tried to correct them. Then abt 6 months ago a new girl arose out of that being--listens to every word, obeys to the slightest command, some light went off in her head and I got a replicate of the love of my (doggy) life back. Luck for me she lives she is a pleasure and the wait, while hard some times, was worth the wait.

Reaction Score
  • Pregnant women
  • Elderly people
Me and/or my wife fit 5 of 6 of your categories and have owed dogs most of 50 years. The comfort I get from them exceeds any nursing/physician care. None of those diseases or parasites listed have been part of our lives. Are we the exception? Many of my long dead friends didn't own dogs is that accidental?

borninansonia

Neandertal
Reaction Score
  • Pregnant women
  • Elderly people

Yes, it's true, dogs can bring disease, it happens to about 0.01% of humans with dogs. I guess that's too risky for you.

But it's a lot less risky than going outside in the summer in Conn. Tick bites, mosquito bites, oh my, with the potential of many more difficult diseases than you list. Of course driving in Conn. is even more dangerous, one of the leading killers of humans. And walking, be careful, you can be hit by a car or a bicycle. And talk about bikes, you can fall and hurt yourself or be hit by a car.

Or you can understand that everything good comes with risks. And having a great dog in the family is about as "good as it gets."

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
My deepest sympathies on the loss of your friend. No matter the reason it is always difficult to understand the loss of someone we care about. But I would humbly suggest that it was AIDS that killed you friend.

"My deepest sympathies . . . But . . ." I should've stopped reading there.

"I would humbly suggest that it was AIDS that killed you friend. The infection that overwhelmed his compromised immune system from the dog bite, could have been happened at some other time, from some other event." And it wasn't the bullet that killed the shooting victim, it was loss of blood. And we're all gonna die sometime, so no biggie that it happened to someone young. That's incredibly insensitive, and not at all humble.

Fact is this was some time ago, just as effective anti-retrovirals were becoming available. He'd started the therapy and would probably be alive today if it wasn't for being mauled by a dog. I have a close relative that contracted HIV around the same time and began ARV therapy around the same time as my late friend. He's still alive, married, and has a kid and no detectable virus, so I'm not just making up a hypothetical situation.

I have nothing against dogs, and my original response was just because you were making light of a post that pointed out some rare but very real problems. And you've compounded it.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
See my updated Avatar--11, count em, pups pure bred Samoyeds.
Dogs do hold grudges but not for really very long. My best (puppy) girl was jealous I brought a tiny puppy into the house for a month 3 weeks she would not be in the same room. Then one week decided to just run at full speed and run over the newbie. In a few days they were great friends--except near me. I'm the same way with my wife; except I didn't run over her only her boyfriend.

I tried to use the translation feature of my browser and the message came back: No Such Language. You are almost ready for the season!

Reaction Score
I tried to use the translation feature of my browser and the message came back: No Such Language. You are almost ready for the season!
I was embedded in cryptology. I had trouble getting out of the crypt. Obviously, the FBI was called for the incident with the wife's boyfriend and they are still looking for me. I tell my son-in-law to not look at me when he comes in the house so he can tell his FBI co-workers he didn't see me. That's the way the game is played. Ask Whitie Bulger(sp?)

Reaction Score
Funny --my translation program gave it back in any language; This this if you didn't like that?

Δείτε την ενημερωμένη μου Avatar - 11, μετράνε em, τα καθαρά αναπαραγωγάκια Samoyeds.
Τα σκυλιά κρατούν κακίες, αλλά όχι για πολύ καιρό. Το καλύτερο μου (κουτάβι) κορίτσι ζηλεύει έφερα ένα μικρό κουτάβι στο σπίτι για ένα μήνα 3 εβδομάδες δεν θα ήταν στο ίδιο δωμάτιο. Στη συνέχεια, μια εβδομάδα αποφάσισε να τρέξει με πλήρη ταχύτητα και να τρέξει πάνω από το newbie. Σε λίγες μέρες ήταν υπέροχοι φίλοι - εκτός από μένα. Είμαι με τον ίδιο τρόπο με τη γυναίκα μου. εκτός από το γεγονός ότι δεν είχα ξεπεράσει μόνο το φίλο της.
Deíte tin enimeroméni mou Avatar - 11, metráne em, ta kathará anaparagogákia Samoyeds.
Ta skyliá kratoún kakíes, allá óchi gia polý kairó. To kalýtero mou (koutávi) korítsi zilévei éfera éna mikró koutávi sto spíti gia éna mína 3 evdomádes den tha ítan sto ídio domátio. Sti synécheia, mia evdomáda apofásise na tréxei me plíri tachýtita kai na tréxei páno apó to newbie. Se líges méres ítan ypérochoi fíloi - ektós apó ména. Eímai me ton ídio trópo me ti gynaíka mou. ektós apó to gegonós óti den eícha xeperásei móno to fílo tis.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
I was embedded in cryptology. I had trouble getting out of the crypt. Obviously, the FBI was called for the incident with the wife's boyfriend and they are still looking for me. I tell my son-in-law to not look at me when he comes in the house so he can tell his FBI co-workers he didn't see me. That's the way the game is played. Ask Whitie Bulger(sp?)

You're Judd Hirsch and you're Running On Empty.

dogged1

like a dog with a bone
Reaction Score
"My deepest sympathies . . . But . . ." I should've stopped reading there.

"I would humbly suggest that it was AIDS that killed you friend. The infection that overwhelmed his compromised immune system from the dog bite, could have been happened at some other time, from some other event." And it wasn't the bullet that killed the shooting victim, it was loss of blood. And we're all gonna die sometime, so no biggie that it happened to someone young. That's incredibly insensitive, and not at all humble.

Fact is this was some time ago, just as effective anti-retrovirals were becoming available. He'd started the therapy and would probably be alive today if it wasn't for being mauled by a dog. I have a close relative that contracted HIV around the same time and began ARV therapy around the same time as my late friend. He's still alive, married, and has a kid and no detectable virus, so I'm not just making up a hypothetical situation.

I have nothing against dogs, and my original response was just because you were making light of a post that pointed out some rare but very real problems. And you've compounded it.

I’m not quite sure how to respond to you or even if I should. But you’ve put me in a very dark corner and I prefer sunshine, so let’s examine my transgressions. I took some time and have carefully reread SVC’s original post and our exchanges since then.

You are correct in at least one respect. I did make light of his post. That’s because when he posted it I believed that he was being facetious, that he was making light hearted fun of all the dog lovers who he knew would be attracted to Rocky’s thread. His use of the emojis made me think it wasn’t a serious post. And I responded in what I thought was a similar vein. Child-like good natured fun. Hence the use of the word boo and the stick your tongue out emoji.

On re-reading it I can see that I was wrong. I stand corrected. I apologize to SVC for making light of his post. And I thank you for pointing out my error.

When I read your first response I believed that you were hurt and angry. So I addressed that in what I thought was a conciliatory, respectful way. By your standards, apparently not.

"I would humbly suggest that it was AIDS that killed you friend. The infection that overwhelmed his compromised immune system from the dog bite, could have been happened at some other time, from some other event."

It seems that these are the two sentences that offended you. Those are my words. I own them. It maybe that I never should have written them, but it was an honest attempt to offer you a different perspective, some solace for your pain.

“And it wasn't the bullet that killed the shooting victim, it was loss of blood. And we're all gonna die sometime, so no biggie that it happened to someone young.”

Your right again, those two sentences are incredibly insensitive. But those are your words. Funny thing is that you write them as though I said them. You put words in my mouth and thoughts in my head that I have never dreamt of. A minor piece of character assassination to be sure, but then the every good narrative needs a villain, so there is that justification.

No one gets through life unscathed. You’re not the only person in this world who has lost loved ones to a terrible disease. My thought was to offer comfort. You chose to twist it into something else.

I have nothing else to say. Right now I feel as though I am talking at you, and you are talking at me. There is no common ground. That’s a shame.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
Thanks for your post, dogged1. You're correct that I was angry.

I should know better than to post in the state of mind I was in. I was nasty, and for that I apologize.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom