JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
fed51c09-41d9-412b-b7c2-275ef83e5fee_orig.jpg
Why not Bruce's half brother?

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
People never resort to tawdry tabloid antics; until they do. Rousey's reaction during the weigh in was so atypical of her that careful watching of the scene revealed to me the reason. I would say Holm's career as a professional was longer and more decorated than Rousey's. I would also say that Rousey's career as a Judoka (over 250 competitive bouts in multiple countries) was equally as long and decorated. As for your blind analysis of the weigh in scene, if you think Holm didn't place her fist on Rousey's jaw first I say absolutely to-maa-to. And since a fighter named Tate, which Rousey destroyed twice, showed again how patience is a virtue, I would say the next meeting between Holm and Rousey will have a far different, vicious, and shorter outcome.

Equally as long and decorated? Not even close. Holm was a multiple-time world boxing champion. Rousey's only major international triumph at the senior level was at the Pan-Am Games. Other than that, she did no better than silver at the world championships and bronze at the Olympics. (And notably, in terms of her lack of character and class, her autobiography is full of sour grapes toward the woman who outclassed her at the Olympics.)

I couldn't be more indifferent to a potential Rousey-Tate matchup. Rousey can win every single fight for the rest of her career (which probably won't last for more than another 3 or 4 fights anyway), and she could even beat Holm (who, in her mid-30s, is past her athletic prime anyway), but the memory of her getting her head and her pride booted into the stratosphere will never go away. As Layla Ali said, if you want to be the greatest ever, you don't get knocked out like that in your prime. Period.

Plebe

Reaction Score
Arguing over women's MMA, just wow.

718690.jpg

Aunt Linda! One of the most underrated SNL characters of all time. "They whaaaaaaaaaaaat?!"

JordyG

Reaction Score
Equally as long and decorated? Not even close. Holm was a multiple-time world boxing champion. Rousey's only major international triumph at the senior level was at the Pan-Am Games. Other than that, she did no better than silver at the world championships and bronze at the Olympics. (And notably, in terms of her lack of character and class, her autobiography is full of sour grapes toward the woman who outclassed her at the Olympics.)

I couldn't be more indifferent to a potential Rousey-Tate matchup. Rousey can win every single fight for the rest of her career (which probably won't last for more than another 3 or 4 fights anyway), and she could even beat Holm (who, in her mid-30s, is past her athletic prime anyway), but the memory of her getting her head and her pride booted into the stratosphere will never go away. As Layla Ali said, if you want to be the greatest ever, you don't get knocked out like that in your prime. Period.
Hmmmm. You seem to give much credit to Holm's titles in kickboxing, but you're one of few. All of her so called titles (except for beating Rousey) have for years been held in question. I seem to remember Chael Sonnen being very pointed about this, going so far as calling her a phony and a liar. So you keep holding on to your misconceptions, they seem to have done you so poorly so far. Maybe you'll have more success looking for unicorns in your frying pan. Meanwhile Rousey's judoka and mma career are well documented. Your arguments continue to hold no water. So, to-ma-to and to-maa-to.

Plebe

Reaction Score
Hmmmm. You seem to give much credit to Holm's titles in kickboxing, but you're one of few. All of her so called titles (except for beating Rousey) have for years been held in question. I seem to remember Chael Sonnen being very pointed about this, going so far as calling her a phony and a liar. So you keep holding on to your misconceptions, they seem to have done you so poorly so far. Maybe you'll have more success looking for unicorns in your frying pan. Meanwhile Rousey's judoka and mma career are well documented. Your arguments continue to hold no water. So, to-ma-to and to-maa-to.

Kickboxing? I said boxing. Two different sports.

Chael is one person with one opinion. But, since you hold him in such high regard, let's recall the crow he ate after Ronda ate dust:

Chael Sonnen thinks Ronda Rousey's dominance was manufactured and everyone fell for it. Including himself.

"That division is still so shallow and so new and when the media got behind it, there was so much hype and belief," Sonnen said on ESPN Radio's "The Dan Lebatard Show" on Wednesday. "It's like anything else -- and Dan, I'm not above this, either -- when you hear something enough times, you start to think that it's real."

Sonnen admitted to falling into the same trap. He threw cold water on Holly Holm's boxing background on The MMA Hour last month, saying her titles were not legitimate. Sonnen quipped that he didn't even know if Holm could outstrike Rousey.​

I give you some credit. Most of Ronda's deluded fanboys dissipated a long time ago. Loyalty, even when misinformed, can be considered a virtue, I suppose.

JordyG

Reaction Score

Chael is one person with one opinion. But, since you hold him in such high regard, let's recall the crow he ate after Ronda ate dust:

Chael Sonnen thinks Ronda Rousey's dominance was manufactured and everyone fell for it. Including himself.

"That division is still so shallow and so new and when the media got behind it, there was so much hype and belief," Sonnen said on ESPN Radio's "The Dan Lebatard Show" on Wednesday. "It's like anything else -- and Dan, I'm not above this, either -- when you hear something enough times, you start to think that it's real."

Sonnen admitted to falling into the same trap. He threw cold water on Holly Holm's boxing background on The MMA Hour last month, saying her titles were not legitimate. Sonnen quipped that he didn't even know if Holm could outstrike Rousey.​

I give you some credit. Most of Ronda's deluded fanboys dissipated a long time ago. Loyalty, even when misinformed, can be considered a virtue, I suppose.
He ate crow after the fight, and rightly so. Yet when you championed that cheater Justino you never denied my original statement that Rousey never ducked or was "shielded" from that 'roid liar "Cyborg". You've never refuted the truth of my statement that Rousey from the start has never wanted to fight anyone at catch weight. You seemed to imply that Rousey has entertained and/or indulged in tabliod tactics to motivate herself. When? You've never answered my question as to why your hatred of Rousey doesn't extend to Dana and Zuffa who created this so called Rousey "myth" of invincibility. You've never denied that if someone put a fist in your face you'd immediately call that an attempted at a punch. Finally of course your waving the flag of Holm's numerous championships seems such an empty and specious argument you've just glossed over it. You however keep returning to the self absorbed fact of your satisfaction at seeing a great and future/again champion incur her first and possibly only loss. Well, good for you. Hopefully your gleaning pleasure from others misfortune extends to many other areas so that you can remain in a constant state of bliss.

Last edited:

JordyG

Reaction Score

By the way, Holm participated in many bouts, both in boxing and kickboxing and claimed championships in both.

Reaction Score
The problem is when it comes to true greatness in sports (or perhaps all endeavors) it seems only the most haughty and prideful are capable of attaining that mantle. Sorry. I never disliked Rousey for her arrogance. Just as I've never called Ali, Jordan, Mantle or Big Papi for theirs. Maybe I'm wrong. I just saw her being targeted for haughtiness and pride because she was a she, not a he. Where were the arrogance police when Conor McGregor got his loss? Where was the same vitriol?
Mickey Mantle was arrogant??? That is the silliest bit of drivel that I've ever heard. Mickey Mantle was so far from arrogant that to hear your comments was ludicrous. He may have been overwhelmed from the exposure to New York and the attention that he got but he never thought of himself in any way that would be construed as arrogant. He got the injury that probably kept him from being considered the greatest player in the history of baseball because he was so awed by the majesty of Joe DiMaggio who was indeed close to the most arrogant man who ever roamed the planet. Joltin' Joe was a great player but was a self absorbed jerk and Mantle's deference to DiMaggio contributed to his tearing up his knee in his rookie season when he pulled up short and tore up his leg trying to cover for DiMaggio. DiMaggio treated Mantle almost like a waterboy and Mantle simply took it because he was this country boy from Oklahoma who was in the big city with the legendary DiMaggio. Mantle never carried himself like that and in fact, had major issues with the notoriety that he ended up getting. Unlike DiMaggio's contempories, Mantle was well thought of by his teammates and his downfall was his feelings that he would die young as had all the males in his family had (Dad and uncles and grandfather) so he took to excessive partying and carousing. Arrogance was not a part of Mickey Mantle!

JordyG

Reaction Score
Mickey Mantle was arrogant??? That is the silliest bit of drivel that I've ever heard. Mickey Mantle was so far from arrogant that to hear your comments was ludicrous. He may have been overwhelmed from the exposure to New York and the attention that he got but he never thought of himself in any way that would be construed as arrogant. He got the injury that probably kept him from being considered the greatest player in the history of baseball because he was so awed by the majesty of Joe DiMaggio who was indeed close to the most arrogant man who ever roamed the planet. Joltin' Joe was a great player but was a self absorbed jerk and Mantle's deference to DiMaggio contributed to his tearing up his knee in his rookie season when he pulled up short and tore up his leg trying to cover for DiMaggio. DiMaggio treated Mantle almost like a waterboy and Mantle simply took it because he was this country boy from Oklahoma who was in the big city with the legendary DiMaggio. Mantle never carried himself like that and in fact, had major issues with the notoriety that he ended up getting. Unlike DiMaggio's contempories, Mantle was well thought of by his teammates and his downfall was his feelings that he would die young as had all the males in his family had (Dad and uncles and grandfather) so he took to excessive partying and carousing. Arrogance was not a part of Mickey Mantle!
You're right point for point about Mickey. Perhaps I should have said Joe D or Ruth or even Williams. Or Cobb or any number of pitchers. No, off the field arrogance was not part of Mickey's nature, and as young Yankee fan (at the time) I new it. Hopefully it doesn't undercut any of the truths I've said about Rousey. All of which I think are clear and concise.

Plebe

Reaction Score
Hopefully Ronda will get a second chance to be the best after her worst day against Holm. For Rousey once again the old adage "Patience is a virtue" proved its brutal point.

Well, one can now make the credible argument that Rousey's worst day wasn't against Holm. At least she lasted more than a minute in that fight.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Well, one can now make the credible argument that Rousey's worst day wasn't against Holm. At least she lasted more than a minute in that fight.

Her 3 million dollar payday should help. :rolleyes:

Once you are afraid to get hit, it is time to get out of the MMA

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member