OT: Geno's Mantra Rephrased. | The Boneyard

OT: Geno's Mantra Rephrased.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
I have often read here on the BY that "We don't practice it until we get it right. We practice it until we can't get it wrong." IIRC, Bria Hartley is credited with that statement. (Corrections welcomed.)

I am now reading Time Magazine's big "100 Most Influential People" special issue. I was surprised to read the bio of Ronda Rousey, written by (of all people) Tina Fey. The advice Ronda got from her mother is cited: "You're not training to be the best in the world. You're training to be the best in the world on your worst day."

That sure sounded a Geno theme.;)

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
Hopefully Ronda will get a second chance to be the best after her worst day against Holm. For Rousey once again the old adage "Patience is a virtue" proved its brutal point.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Hopefully Ronda will get a second chance to be the best after her worst day against Holm. For Rousey once again the old adage "Patience is a virtue" proved its brutal point.

The adage that came to my mind when Rousey got humbled was "Pride goeth before destruction, and an haughty spirit before a fall."

JordyG

Reaction Score
The adage that came to my mind when Rousey got humbled was "Pride goeth before destruction, and an haughty spirit before a fall."
The problem is when it comes to true greatness in sports (or perhaps all endeavors) it seems only the most haughty and prideful are capable of attaining that mantle. Sorry. I never disliked Rousey for her arrogance. Just as I've never called Ali, Jordan, Mantle or Big Papi for theirs. Maybe I'm wrong. I just saw her being targeted for haughtiness and pride because she was a she, not a he. Where were the arrogance police when Conor McGregor got his loss? Where was the same vitriol?

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Sue was the first one I heard quoted as saying that. But I suspect it goes further back
Sue & then Bria and probably passed down from Geno directly no doubt is the UCONN lineage. Most citations of the quote attribute it to anonymous and it appears to have been passed down from many different cultures.
This article from circa 2012 puts in in the context of sports and sorry @Jordy but the cite Jordan as the applied example.
Don't practice until you get it right. Practice until you can't get it wrong. - philosiblog

Plebe

Reaction Score
The problem is when it comes to true greatness in sports (or perhaps all endeavors) it seems only the most haughty and prideful are capable of attaining that mantle. Sorry. I never disliked Rousey for her arrogance. Just as I've never called Ali, Jordan, Mantle or Big Papi for theirs. Maybe I'm wrong. I just saw her being targeted for haughtiness and pride because she was a she, not a he. Where were the arrogance police when Conor McGregor got his loss? Where was the same vitriol?

A lot of people did rejoice in McGregor's loss, but his loss was immensely qualitatively different. He jumped up TWO weight classes, on short notice, to take on Diaz. Rousey had, until the Holm fight, dominated a weight class that the UFC specifically created for her, and to shield her from Cyborg. Rousey has even refused Cyborg's offer to meet in the middle at 140, while she was speaking openly -- after barely 10 wins to her credit -- of planning to retire undefeated. And so on.

JordyG

Reaction Score
A lot of people did rejoice in McGregor's loss, but his loss was immensely qualitatively different. He jumped up TWO weight classes, on short notice, to take on Diaz. Rousey had, until the Holm fight, dominated a weight class that the UFC specifically created for her, and to shield her from Cyborg. Rousey has even refused Cyborg's offer to meet in the middle at 140, while she was speaking openly -- after barely 10 wins to her credit -- of planning to retire undefeated. And so on.
At least let's get the facts straight.

1) In Invicta mma there was a bantamweight division before the UFC co-opted it. The UFC didn't "invent" or "create" this division to appease or showcase Rousey. They did however steal almost all of Invicta's fighters from that division. Since the bantamweight division has been a legitimate division in boxing since 1890 I doubt the UFC can claim any sort of proprietary ownership.

2) Rousey NEVER ducked or was "shielded" from "Cyborg". Justino is two weight divisions above Rousey. Oh yes, Rousey fought at lightweight in mma, but that was clearly not her optimum weight. Rousey has NEVER had a problem making 135. Not close. Justino however has twice been found to use and abuse performance enhancing drugs. Specifically steroids. Dana at that time was willing to create (steal) a 155 division from Invicta. When Justino was about to sign onto the UFC she backed off when Dana instituted mandatory blood testing. One day later.

3) Justino won her championships and destroyed careers by cheating. Rousey is the champion. Her position was and still is that Justino has always had the easy way out. Why should she (Rousey) continue to give this cheater a pass? Rousey has always done things the right way. Her blood given to the Olympic committees remains conditionally tested into perpetuity. Justino cheated, lied, gave false samples and tried to bluster her way through to a fight with Rousey. Then complained when she had to cut weight to fight the CHAMPION. To my way of thinking this cheater should have been banned from fighting and rescind all of her titles.

4) Rousey from the moment she started to compete in the UFC has said she would fight no one at a catch weight. No one except her idol Gina Carano. For her she'd make an exception. Now that this liar has finally had to sacrifice something to make the 135 division perhaps she'll get to fight Rousey, Holm or Tate. But she'll need to earn it first.

5) Unlike McGregor Rousey has never disrespected an opponent before or during a fight. Yes, she refused to shake Tate's hand after Tate made comments about people close to her during their Ultimate Fighter series, which Rousey took as disrespectful. And yes, Rousey took umbrage when Correia said she hoped Rousey wouldn't kill herself after she (Correia) beat her. Rousey's father had committed suicide, and that remark was particularly insensitive. Rousey has always been respectful and complementary of fighters, venues, promoters, even countries. The same cannot be said of McGregor, whom I love as a fighter by the way.

So please get your facts straight before attempting to call out Rousey.

Last edited:

BigBird

Et In Hoc Signo Vinces
Reaction Score

Rubbish. The weight class was built around the number of women then in MMA who were in that weight bracket. There were not enough women at the time to make additional classes, and even now, the straw weights are just starting to gain attention. The problem with Cyborg was her PED history. And as for her nonsense that dropping five pounds could kill her...

If you don't care for Rousey for some concocted reason, so be it. But she is a great fighter, was a great champion for her sport, and will be again. And it's hard to deny that several fighters (hello, Meisha!) have made a big chuck of money thanks to Ronda's drawing power.

Plebe

Reaction Score

1) In Invicta mma there was a bantamweight division before the UFC co-opted it. The UFC didn't "invent" or "create" this division to appease or showcase Rousey. They did however steal almost all of Invicta's fighters from that division. Since the bantamweight division has been a legitimate division in boxing since 1890 I doubt the UFC can claim any sort of proprietary ownership.

2) Rousey NEVER ducked or was "shielded" from "Cyborg". Justino is two weight divisions above Rousey. Oh yes, Rousey fought at lightweight in mma, but that was clearly not her optimum weight. Rousey has NEVER had a problem making 135. Not close. Justino however has twice been found to use and abuse performance enhancing drugs. Specifically steroids. Dana at that time was willing to create (steal) a 155 division from Invicta. When Justino was about to sign onto the UFC she backed off when Dana instituted mandatory blood testing. One day later.

3) Justino won her championships and destroyed careers by cheating. Rousey is the champion. Her position was and still is that Justino has always had the easy way out. Why should she (Rousey) continue to give this cheater a pass? Rousey has always done things the right way. Her blood given to the Olympic committees remains conditionally tested into perpetuity. Justino cheated, lied, gave false samples and tried to bluster her way through to a fight with Rousey. Then complained when she had to cut weight to fight the CHAMPION. To my way of thinking this cheater should have been banned from fighting and rescind all of her titles.

4) Rousey from the moment she started to compete in the UFC has said she would fight no one at a catch weight. No one except her idol Gina Carano. For her she'd make an exception. Now that this liar has finally had to sacrifice something to make the 135 division perhaps she'll get to fight Rousey, Holm or Tate. But she'll need to earn it first.

5) Unlike McGregor Rousey has never disrespected an opponent before or during a fight. Yes, she refused to shake Tate's hand after Tate made comments about people close to her during their Ultimate Fighter series, which Rousey took as disrespectful. And yes, Rousey took umbrage when Correia said she hoped Rousey wouldn't kill herself after she (Correia) beat her. Rousey's father had committed suicide, and that remark was particularly insensitive. Rousey has always been respectful and complementary of fighters, venues, promoters, even countries. The same cannot be said of McGregor, whom I love as a fighter by the way.

Just wow. Without delving into every last bit of distortion and fiction in your novella, how would you describe her comportment at the weigh-in toward Holm? Which, by the way, she followed up with this literary gem on Instagram [asterisks introduced to evade censorship]:
Fake a** cheap shotting fake respect fake humility b**ch - "preacher's daughter" my a** - I see through your fake sweet act now - you're getting your a** kicked tomorrow, and I'm really going to enjoy the beating I give you #andSTILL

Last edited:

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score

Rubbish. The weight class was built around the number of women then in MMA who were in that weight bracket. There were not enough women at the time to make additional classes, and even now, the straw weights are just starting to gain attention. The problem with Cyborg was her PED history. And as for her nonsense that dropping five pounds could kill her...

If you don't care for Rousey for some concocted reason, so be it. But she is a great fighter, was a great champion for her sport, and will be again. And it's hard to deny that several fighters (hello, Meisha!) have made a big chuck of money thanks to Ronda's drawing power.

Just wow. Without delving into every last bit of distortion and fiction in your novella, how would you describe her comportment at the weigh-in toward Holm? Which, by the way, she followed up with this literary gem on Instagram [asterisks introduced to evade censorship]:
Fake a** cheap shotting fake respect fake humility b**ch - "preacher's daughter" my a** - I see through your fake sweet act now - you're getting your a** kicked tomorrow, and I'm really going to enjoy the beating I give you #andSTILL

Sounds a lot like WWF. Have they smashed each other with chairs yet?

JordyG

Reaction Score
At the weigh in (which you clearly didn't see) Holm threw a punch at Rousy's chin which was unprovoked. Up to that point Holm had been demure and humble, Rousey complementary and respectful. How was Rousey suppposed to respond?

Plebe

Reaction Score
At the weigh in (which you clearly didn't see) Holm threw a punch at Rousy's chin which was unprovoked. Up to that point Holm had been demure and humble, Rousey complementary and respectful. How was Rousey suppposed to respond?

You are quite the revisionist. I most certainly saw it, and every single observer of this incident (except you, apparently) agrees that Rousey pulled Holm's arm into her own face and then played the victim.

JordyG

Reaction Score
You are quite the revisionist. I most certainly saw it, and every single observer of this incident (except you, apparently) agrees that Rousey pulled Holm's arm into her own face and then played the victim.
If you'd bothered to watch the weigh in carefully at all you'd have noticed that Rousey lifted her left arm up into a fighters pose, something they always do for photo ops during weigh ins. Holm put her right arm inside Rousey's poised left placing her fist onto Rousey's jaw. Rousey pulled Holm's arm down and away from her jaw. Incredibly disrespectful and unnecessary.

Plebe

Reaction Score
If you'd bothered to watch the weigh in carefully at all you'd have noticed that Rousey lifted her left arm up into a fighters pose, something they always do for photo ops during weigh ins. Holm put her right arm inside Rousey's poised left placing her fist onto Rousey's jaw. Rousey pulled Holm's arm down and away from her jaw. Incredibly disrespectful and unnecessary.

This is just simply not factually accurate. Holm placed her arm inside Rousey's, yes, but when she did Rousey (for some reason) decided to pull her left arm toward her, bringing Holm's fist into her own face. There is not a single credible observer who has advanced the argument that Holm tried to "punch" Rousey. But if someone out there still wants to believe in the Easter bunny, the tooth fairy, and Rousey's angelic innocence ("she never ever disrespects her opponent"), who am I to stop them.

JordyG

Reaction Score
This is just simply not factually accurate. Holm placed her arm inside Rousey's, yes, but when she did Rousey (for some reason) decided to pull her left arm toward her, bringing Holm's fist into her own face. There is not a single credible observer who has advanced the argument that Holm tried to "punch" Rousey. But if someone out there still wants to believe in the Easter bunny, the tooth fairy, and Rousey's angelic innocence ("she never ever disrespects her opponent"), who am I to stop them.
Sorry, once again you are factually incorrect. If anyone put a fist on your face would you say they've attempted to punch you or not? From my viewpoint Holm IMMEDIATELY put her fist on Rousey's face. Rousey IMMEDIATELY pulled Holm's arm down and away from her face. Believe in Rousey's innocence? Hardly. I don't love Rousey, I love excellence. Believe in your delusional and irrational hatred of Rousey? Utterly.

Plebe

Reaction Score
Sorry, once again you are factually incorrect. If anyone put a fist on your face would you say they've attempted to punch you or not? From my viewpoint Holm IMMEDIATELY put her fist on Rousey's face. Rousey IMMEDIATELY pulled Holm's arm down and away from her face. Believe in Rousey's innocence? Hardly. I don't love Rousey, I love excellence. Believe in your delusional and irrational hatred of Rousey? Utterly.

I don't hate Rousey. I just don't but in to the "once in an eternity" hype that the UFC insisted on pushing, along with all the fawning media stories that acted like Rousey was the first successful female athlete in history. Holm didn't touch Rousey's face until Rousey started flailing her arms and brought Holm's hand into contact with her own face so that she could claim victimhood. Holm has a long and decorated history as a professional fighter (far more so, I might add, than Rousey) and she has never had to resort to tawdry tabloid tactics to motivate herself. Hence Rousey's disgusting rant on Instagram. If there was ever a reason to believe in cosmic justice, the thunderous demise of the Rousey myth was it.

JordyG

Reaction Score
I don't hate Rousey. I just don't but in to the "once in an eternity" hype that the UFC insisted on pushing, along with all the fawning media stories that acted like Rousey was the first successful female athlete in history. Holm didn't touch Rousey's face until Rousey started flailing her arms and brought Holm's hand into contact with her own face so that she could claim victimhood. Holm has a long and decorated history as a professional fighter (far more so, I might add, than Rousey) and she has never had to resort to tawdry tabloid tactics to motivate herself. Hence Rousey's disgusting rant on Instagram. If there was ever a reason to believe in cosmic justice, the thunderous demise of the Rousey myth was it.
People never resort to tawdry tabloid antics; until they do. Rousey's reaction during the weigh in was so atypical of her that careful watching of the scene revealed to me the reason. I would say Holm's career as a professional was longer and more decorated than Rousey's. I would also say that Rousey's career as a Judoka (over 250 competitive bouts in multiple countries) was equally as long and decorated. As for your blind analysis of the weigh in scene, if you think Holm didn't place her fist on Rousey's jaw first I say absolutely to-maa-to. And since a fighter named Tate, which Rousey destroyed twice, showed again how patience is a virtue, I would say the next meeting between Holm and Rousey will have a far different, vicious, and shorter outcome.

JordyG

Reaction Score
By the way. Rousey never adhered to the "Once in a lifetime" hype pushed by Dana et al. If that "myth" was so displeasing to you, why not direct that hate against Zuffa and their hype machine instead of the fighters trying to earn a living? Why continue to watch mma and the UFC? Why suffer to complain about subjects that offend you? If you think Rousey's demise was "thunderous" I beg you to stop watching Dana's product when you'll have to forebear this talented fighters "thunderous" return to the title.

BigBird

Et In Hoc Signo Vinces
Reaction Score
Dana White on ESPN today: Rousey's next fight will be against Tate, or whoever holds the title at the time.

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
As an old-timer on the BY, I have observed dozens of threads stray from its OP. But I've gotta say, this one has been perhaps the most divergent. But enlightening, for sure.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
By the way. Rousey never adhered to the "Once in a lifetime" hype pushed by Dana et al. If that "myth" was so displeasing to you, why not direct that hate against Zuffa and their hype machine instead of the fighters trying to earn a living? Why continue to watch mma and the UFC? Why suffer to complain about subjects that offend you? If you think Rousey's demise was "thunderous" I beg you to stop watching Dana's product when you'll have to forebear this talented fighters "thunderous" return to the title.
fed51c09-41d9-412b-b7c2-275ef83e5fee_orig.jpg

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
As an old-timer on the BY, I have observed dozens of threads stray from its OP. But I've gotta say, this one has been perhaps the most divergent. But enlightening, for sure.
Arguing over women's MMA, just wow.

718690.jpg

JordyG

Reaction Score
Dana White on ESPN today: Rousey's next fight will be against Tate, or whoever holds the title at the time.
The winner, new and once again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dixiedog