OT: Geno Tweet | The Boneyard

OT: Geno Tweet

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
@cterrier100: @UConnWBB @genoauriemma Have you seen how other schools use tweet photos to publicize players/game etc. They know how to use Social Media

Geno's Response:

@genoauriemma: @cterrier100 we don't waste time on social media. We are too busy winning championships.

Legendary.

Reaction Score
UConn Huskies/UConn Football/ UConn WBB/ UConn MBB whoever, etc. always tweet out things on or near game days. Maybe that person just isn't following them.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Geno's response would be legendary if Louisville hadn't taken UConn's ACC slot.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Louisville to the ACC thanks to Twitter!

Thanks for misrepresenting that.

I'd love for Geno to be right. I'd love for championships to matter more than marketing.

The reality is Louisville marketed themselves from CUSA to the Big East to the ACC. The stories have been written, they did a brilliant job.

So if UConn (in this case GA) would like to continue to dismiss marketing and social media after what has transpired, it only further shows they didn't learn any lessons from what transpired.

Reaction Score

I'd love for Geno to be right. I'd love for championships to matter more than marketing.

The reality is Louisville marketed themselves from CUSA to the Big East to the ACC. The stories have been written, they did a brilliant job.

So if UConn (in this case GA) would like to continue to dismiss marketing and social media after what has transpired, it only further shows they didn't learn any lessons from what transpired.
I guess you could say their marketing doesn't hurt them,however i highly doubt their use of twitter and facebook was a determining factor in their selection to the acc. Come to think of it...thats absurd to even consider.

ACC - "lets grab louisville they tweet more than uconn"
No.MEN'S BASKETBALLHandleFollowers
1North CarolinaUNC_Basketball128008
2Michiganumichbball69982
3KansasKUHoops50293
4Michigan St.MSU_Basketball46220
5KentuckyKentuckyMBB36272
6DukeDuke_MBB33177
7IndianaIndianaMBB32421
8MemphisUofMTigersHoops29445
9Ohio St.OhioStateHoops24589
10TennesseeVol_Hoops24,353
11IllinoisIlliniHoops24151
12MissouriMizzouHoops23509
13North Carolina St.PackMensBball21951
14IowaIowaHoops19771
15ButlerButlerMBB16437
16AlabamaAlabamaHoops15588
17Iowa St.CycloneMBB15345
18FloridaGatorZoneMBK15278
19BaylorBaylorMBB15133
20WisconsinBadgerMBB14198
21Miami (FL)CanesHoops13639
22Florida St.FSU_MBasketball12552
23St. John'sStJohnsBBall11128
24OregonOregonMBB10545
25MinnesotaGopherBBall10504

Quite a few teams who use social media successfully who aren't in the top conferences.

Last edited:

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I guess you could say their marketing doesn't hurt them,however i highly doubt their use of twitter and facebook was a determining factor in their selection to the acc. Come to think of it...thats absurd to even consider.

ACC - "lets grab louisville they tweet more than uconn"
No.MEN'S BASKETBALLHandleFollowers
1North CarolinaUNC_Basketball128008
2Michiganumichbball69982
3KansasKUHoops50293
4Michigan St.MSU_Basketball46220
5KentuckyKentuckyMBB36272
6DukeDuke_MBB33177
7IndianaIndianaMBB32421
8MemphisUofMTigersHoops29445
9Ohio St.OhioStateHoops24589
10TennesseeVol_Hoops24,353
11IllinoisIlliniHoops24151
12MissouriMizzouHoops23509
13North Carolina St.PackMensBball21951
14IowaIowaHoops19771
15ButlerButlerMBB16437
16AlabamaAlabamaHoops15588
17Iowa St.CycloneMBB15345
18FloridaGatorZoneMBK15278
19BaylorBaylorMBB15133
20WisconsinBadgerMBB14198
21Miami (FL)CanesHoops13639
22Florida St.FSU_MBasketball12552
23St. John'sStJohnsBBall11128
24OregonOregonMBB10545
25MinnesotaGopherBBall10504

Quite a few teams who use social media successfully who aren't in the top conferences.

Ok I guess I need to really dumb it down.

The marketing that Louisville did was over many years. Many of those years were before social media existed.

I am not saying that Twitter got Louisville into the ACC. I am saying that UConn didn't market their success over the past 20 years well enough and sit in the AAC because of it.

So to mock social media, shows that they don't still don't understand this. Although specifically, it's just Geno commenting in this scenario.

Reaction Score
Ok I guess I need to really dumb it down.

The marketing that Louisville did was over many years. Many of those years were before social media existed.

I am not saying that Twitter got Louisville into the ACC. I am saying that UConn didn't market their success over the past 20 years well enough and sit in the AAC because of it.

So to mock social media, shows that they don't still don't understand this. Although specifically, it's just Geno commenting in this scenario.

Football. Football got Louisville into the ACC. Not social media or marketing itself.

Football. That's it. Don't overthink it.

WestHartHusk

$3M a Year With March Off
Reaction Score
Yes, it was definitely marketing that made Louisville a southern football team with a hot quarterback last year, and a lack of marketing that lead to UConn's fall after the Fiesta Bowl.

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score

Omg, twitter has absolutely nothing to do with cr. I've seen some pretty big stretches on the www, but this ranks up there as an all time whopper for a sports related stretch.

WestHartHusk

Reaction Score
Omg, twitter has absolutely nothing to do with cr. I've seen some pretty big stretches on the www, but this ranks up there as an all time whopper for a sports related stretch.

I don't know, it would explain the rumblings I am hearing of Katy Perry and Ashton Kutcher to the Pac-12.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Football. Football got Louisville into the ACC. Not social media or marketing itself.

Football. That's it. Don't overthink it.

How do you geniuses think they built the football program? It just appeared on campus one morning?

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score

Just painfully obtuse.

Louisville got to the ACC through football.

They built their program by marketing the hell out of themselves.

One popular way to market today is through twitter.

But no - UConn should keep doing what they are doing - it's worked great to this point.

Reaction Score
Is this real life? Making photoshopped pictures to tweet out equals success or makes big conferences want you?

It's so unlikely that is at all true, are these people whining about how important it is clearly the same person who tweeted the question to geno and got faced by him?

Geno should host roasts of his players, he needs an outlet for his sense of humor

WestHartHusk

Reaction Score
How do you geniuses think they built the football program? It just appeared on campus one morning?

I always thought you built programs with coaching, recruiting, facilities, scheduling, tv appearances and winning. You want to skip all that and tweet a lot. If you win, people will tweet about you.

Reaction Score

Step One: Don't start 10 years ago.

Louisville has a much older football tradition and culture than us. Tweeting and marketing isn't going to change that. They'd been to the Orange Bowl and the Fiesta Bowl. They'd beaten Alabama and Michigan State.

And more importantly, while Hathaway was hiring Pasqualoni, Jurich was hiring Charlie Strong and they were building an enormous new stadium.

Reaction Score
Step One: Don't start 10 years ago.

Louisville has a much older football tradition and culture than us. Tweeting and marketing isn't going to change that. They'd been to the Orange Bowl and the Fiesta Bowl. They'd beaten Alabama and Michigan State.

And more importantly, while Hathaway was hiring Pasqualoni, Jurich was hiring Charlie Strong and they were building an enormous new stadium.

Bingo !!!! Ville made a serious commitment to football with a good coach and a new stadium, plus geography was definitely a plus being in the semi-South and in a decent sized city. We hire PP, have a so-so stadium with limited capacity and are geographically at a disadvantage being in New England where football has never been and never will be king. Now, Ville also realized they needed to market these advantages and they did so very well. Since our football legacy is limited, it's tough to market what we have without an extremely strong commitment to football which starts with a top notch coach and facilities.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I always thought you built programs with coaching, recruiting, facilities, scheduling, tv appearances and winning. You want to skip all that and tweet a lot. If you win, people will tweet about you.

Yes and a good amount of how they scheduled, played on television and recruited is marketing strategy.

They built the program by marketing it through ESPN.

I don't remember if it was the Wall Street Journal or USA today but there was a huge article on this already this year.

Clearly I'm not saying twitter=better conference no matter how often people respond that I am.

I'm saying UConn dropped the ball capitalizing on 20 years of athletic success because they didn't position themselves correctly. To ignore twitter in 2013 would be another example of how they don't try and control the message and own their story - instead they let the media write it for them.

The perfect example of that is Doyle can go on CBS and write a story that depicts UConn as a bottom 3 football job in the AAC. That sort of idiocy should be apparent to anyone with a passing knowledge of college football - but instead it's consistently depicted as fact.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
I always thought UConn never marketed their enormous success in men's basketball well enough.

3 National Titles since 1999 and it still seems like we're grouped in that secondary class of basketball programs.

You had a rabid instate fanbase in a decent sized market and were uniquely positioned in between New York and Boston, yet the buzz never extended there.

IMind

Wildly Inaccurate
Reaction Score
I agree with whaler11 on this one. UConn marketing was horrendous under Hathaway. It's gotten better with Warde and Herbst... but still needs work. Oregon buys NYC/Times Square Heisman ads, Rutgers buys lights on the Empire State building... we have the PC Richards whistle. Why didn't we sell the crap out of Donald Brown during his 2,000 yard season? Why wasn't his picture on the side of a building? Why wasn't Sio Moore? Quite frankly we were afraid to tell people how good we were... it hurt us in rankings, it hurt us in bowl bids, and it's still hurting us...

I actually do think Geno's tweet is good though... it is marketing... it's the exact kind of thing we should be saying.

Reaction Score
Yes and a good amount of how they scheduled, played on television and recruited is marketing strategy.

They built the program by marketing it through ESPN.

I don't remember if it was the Wall Street Journal or USA today but there was a huge article on this already this year.

Clearly I'm not saying twitter=better conference no matter how often people respond that I am.

I'm saying UConn dropped the ball capitalizing on 20 years of athletic success because they didn't position themselves correctly. To ignore twitter in 2013 would be another example of how they don't try and control the message and own their story - instead they let the media write it for them.

The perfect example of that is Doyle can go on CBS and write a story that depicts UConn as a bottom 3 football job in the AAC. That sort of idiocy should be apparent to anyone with a passing knowledge of college football - but instead it's consistently depicted as fact.
You sir are in the minority of people who believe advertising/marketing correlates with success. Just ask companies like best buy or sears. Or schools like memphis, st. Johns or minnesota. Just take in what people are writing in response to you and accept that social media/marketing did not do the following - "....Louisville marketed themselves from CUSA to the Big East to the ACC..." Like i said before it doesn't hurt to market yourself but its probably ranked 8th in importance to building a successful team.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
You sir are in the minority of people who believe advertising/marketing correlates with success. Just ask companies like best buy or sears. Or schools like memphis, st. Johns or minnesota. Just take in what people are writing in response to you and accept that social media/marketing did not do the following - "....Louisville marketed themselves from CUSA to the Big East to the ACC..." Like i said before it doesn't hurt to market yourself but its probably ranked 8th in importance to building a successful team.

They built the quality of the team through the way they marketed the program. Bobby Petrino and Charlie Strong weren't born in mangers on campus.

Reaction Score
Geno doesn't let his players tweet during the season. Too many athletes get in trouble with their thumbs.
But we definitely are the worst marketed university in the nation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom