OT: Geno given secondary violation... | Page 2 | The Boneyard

OT: Geno given secondary violation...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Horatio

I played high school football
Reaction Score
You guys know , because we're Uconn , Hamilton and Lubin will both be suspended three games ( after sitting out six) for this.

Reaction Score
Some one at the NCAA is after UConn no matter what. Mark Emmert? This is beyond my imagination.

Reaction Score
Not really. In some of her interviews she said she wants to play PG for UConn. Having the coach call her to congratulate her isn't like JC calling someone to say great interception. Gino should really know better (and probably does and doesn't care. He made his point and got a minor reprimand). If Coach K or the Squid called a little league pitcher who said he wanted to play PG for Duke or UK, many of you would be apoplectic.
I'm sorry but that is just totally bogus. If some little leaguer, whose ability to even play D1 basketball in the future was a total unknown at this point, said his dream was to play for one of those schools and K or the Squid called them, I'd hazard a guess that almost all of us would go, "oh, okay" and then move on. Don't try and make this into a bigger thing than it is.

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
Reports say that it was not a school from the AAC or the ACC. Also, it was not MD. That was yesterday.

Reports are now surfacing that it was an AAC school. So who knows.

It is now clear that regardless of what rules it publishes, the NCAA will interpret the rules to suit their or somebody else's agenda.

What I would like to see in print is:
1. Who wrote the ruling.
2. Who made the complaint.
3. Is Emmert behind this.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Reports say that it was not a school from the AAC or the ACC. Also, it was not MD. That was yesterday.

Reports are now surfacing that it was an AAC school. So who knows.

It is now clear that regardless of what rules it publishes, the NCAA will interpret the rules to suit their or somebody else's agenda.

What I would like to see in print is:
1. Who wrote the ruling.
2. Who made the complaint.
3. Is Emmert behind this.
Does anyone remember what Emmert's beef with the school is in the first place? I thought it had to do with Calhoun, but I really don't recall.

He may not actually have a vendetta, but these coincidences (if they are in fact that) are to numerous to go unnoticed.

Reaction Score
Does anyone remember what Emmert's beef with the school is in the first place? I thought it had to do with Calhoun, but I really don't recall.

He may not actually have a vendetta, but these coincidences (if they are in fact that) are to numerous to go unnoticed.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sport...dent-emmert-previous-cases-uconn-lsu/2047607/

Six years after Mark Emmert left his job at the University of Connecticut, the governor of Connecticut ordered an investigation into a massive construction project on campus that had been ravaged by scandal, including more than $100 million lost because of mismanagement.

To find out where things went wrong, the investigators looked at old papers of Emmert, who once supervised the project as UConn's chancellor. They soon found a bombshell.

Memos from 1998-99 showed that Emmert and two other top UConn officials knew about the construction project's big problems then, but failed to disclose them to the school's board of trustees or the state legislature.

The other two officials ultimately resigned after being placed on leave. The third — Emmert — went on to become president of the NCAA.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
http://www.usatoday.com/story/sport...dent-emmert-previous-cases-uconn-lsu/2047607/

Six years after Mark Emmert left his job at the University of Connecticut, the governor of Connecticut ordered an investigation into a massive construction project on campus that had been ravaged by scandal, including more than $100 million lost because of mismanagement.

To find out where things went wrong, the investigators looked at old papers of Emmert, who once supervised the project as UConn's chancellor. They soon found a bombshell.

Memos from 1998-99 showed that Emmert and two other top UConn officials knew about the construction project's big problems then, but failed to disclose them to the school's board of trustees or the state legislature.

The other two officials ultimately resigned after being placed on leave. The third — Emmert — went on to become president of the NCAA.
So I guess "coincidences" was indeed the wrong word, huh?

Sounds like the Army. No offense intended to our current or past servicemen, but I say that only by recalling a scene in Band of Brothers (both the mini-series and book), where Captain Sobel was overseeing the picking up / dropping off supplies and the Easy Company NCO's and privates from Tocoa were all commenting. A replacement asked who he was and what happened to him. The response? "He got promoted." In both the book and mini-series, Sobel was portrayed as an incompetent leader who relied on fear with little encouragement (In contract to Major Winters).

WestHartHusk

$3M a Year With March Off
Reaction Score
#1 trending story on facebook...can't wait to find out who it was.

Reaction Score
It would be nice to see reporters question why it takes less than 24 hours to hand down a ruling on an issue of this nature when it involves UConn, but then takes several years (to never) to resolve $100K credit accounts, fake classes/grades, wide spread corruption/payoffs, etc.

Reaction Score
Funny thing is that all the blowback is going to help Geno's recruiting. Not that he needs any help.

Reaction Score
The girl was a popular public figure who looks up to UConn with high admiration. It was in no way a recruiting call, but congratulatory.

Whatever Geno did that was supposedly 'against regulations', the NCAA should have handled this matter privately. No need to make a public spectacle out of this, but as posters stated its UConn.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score

IIRC, there was a little bad blood exactly at the time of his leaving as well. I just can't remember the exact circumstances.

That's not the only scandal either. Slippery duckcker. Zero surprise he's head of the NCAA.

The case fits a pattern for Emmert. Rightly or wrongly, he has a history of dodging blame in scandals that have festered on his campuses, sometimes moving on to a more lucrative job before their full extent becomes known. Now as the top cop in college sports, he has talked tough, calling for more integrity in college sports and cracking down on wayward programs, including those that failed to blow the whistle, such as Penn State and Miami. But in his previous positions, Emmert has drawn criticism for not moving nearly as aggressively against problems that occurred under his watch. An investigation by USA TODAY Sports found:

Last edited:
Reaction Score
IIRC, there was a little bad blood exactly at the time of his leaving as well. I just can't remember the exact circumstances.

That's not the only scandal either. Slippery duckcker. Zero surprise he's head of the NCAA.

The case fits a pattern for Emmert. Rightly or wrongly, he has a history of dodging blame in scandals that have festered on his campuses, sometimes moving on to a more lucrative job before their full extent becomes known. Now as the top cop in college sports, he has talked tough, calling for more integrity in college sports and cracking down on wayward programs, including those that failed to blow the whistle, such as Penn State and Miami. But in his previous positions, Emmert has drawn criticism for not moving nearly as aggressively against problems that occurred under his watch. An investigation by USA TODAY Sports found:

So basically he's the administrative version of John Calipari.

Reaction Score

He had big scandals at both LSU and Washington. He helped sweep Roc Alexander's rapes under the rug at UW.

Reactions: TKs

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Didn't realize this but from this article, it says she met Maya Moore and Diana Taurasi.
Seems like UConn is putting on the full court squeeze on this girl!
If there wasn't any Wendy's involved, it wasn't their full court squeeze (press?).

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Ok. So Geno calls an eighth grader that pitches in the LLWS and dreams of playing point guard at Uconn. He gets a violation from NCAA. I get it.
But why is it ok for the same eighth grader to throw out a pitch for a MLB
franchise and then have an arranged meeting with Maya Moore and Britney Griner, two pro athletes . I'm confused?
Except he didn't call her. He called the LLWS staff and they said, she's here not let us put her on.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom