OT: General knowledge test #578A | The Boneyard

OT: General knowledge test #578A

wire chief

Testmeister
Reaction Score
We are in a 5 day game gap, so...
Please avoid politics; do no research; do not hit "reply".

1..What is a Category 3 film?

2..An Indian actress (naturally in a sari) is an admirer of Dolly Parton. Their meeting
is described as ..?.. comes to..?..

3..Lisa Kelly and Chloe Agnew were charter members of..?.

4..Name 2 "Meathead"-directed flics.

5..Provide the whole quote: "except death and taxes"...author?

6..What is it about human and herbivore biology respectively that allow the Kalahari Bushman
to run down eventually his faster prey?

7..Releasing this week is FRONTRUNNER, a flic about what politician?

8..Within 3 years when did the US and USSR establish diplomatic relations?

9..UNESCO stands for..?.

10.."If there could be no roses, no summer nights to make me dream as I do"
Title? Whose hit? What phrase in the song is a Rogers and Hammerstein production?

11..Describe the Queen Mary-Queen Elizabeth I link.

12..Within 5 years the Suez Canal opening?

13..Ask a Beatles fan his favorite, he may say "Hey Jude".
But a highbrow might want Liszt's ___ ________

pinotbear

Silly Ol' Bear
Reaction Score
2. Bollywood comes to Dollywood?
4. Stand By Me and The Princess Bride
5. Nothing in life is certain, except death and taxes.. Ben Franklin, maybe?
7. Gary Hart, with Hugh Jackman in the title role

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
11. If you mean of England, they were half sisters whose father was Henry VIII. They both ruled England in succession, with Elizabeth succeeding Mary, and Elizabeth I ruling for over 40 years and was the last Tudor.

Last edited:

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
4. Rob Reiner directed “When Harry met Sally,” This is Spinal Tap,” ”The princess Bride,” “Stand By Me” “A Few Good Men” The easy ones.

5. Ben Franklin- “in this world nothing can be said to be certain, except death and taxes.” He said this relative to the US constitution.

6. Humans have a greater capacity for endurance.

9. United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization

11. Queen Mary and Queen Elizabeth I were daughters of Henry VIII from different mothers, Catherine of Aragon and Anne Boleyn respectively.

13. The Beatles, the slayers, who killed Motown. There shall never be forgiveness.

Last edited:

wire chief

Testmeister
Reaction Score
6..SVC has a surface explanation. We can do better as to what leads to greater endurance.

Reaction Score
4. When Harry Met Sally, The Princess Bride
5. Nothing in life is certain but death and taxes -- Ben Franklin?
7. Gary Hart
9. United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization

Reaction Score
4. Sleepless in Seattle ; the Princess Bride

7. Sen. Gary Hart.

11. Could be sister-ship transatlantic ocean liners. British liners of another era.

Or perhaps cousins Mary Stuart and Elizabeth Tudor. Liz executed Mary Queen of Scots for conspiring against the throne.

Or Liz and her half sister Mary Tudor, whom she succeeded as queen. Mary child of Catherine of Aragon and Liz child of Anne Boleyn.

Reaction Score
8. 1932
11. Mary Tudor was Elizabeth's half sister. Mary Queen of Scots was the granddaughter of Margaret Tudor, who was the sister of Henry VIII, Elizabeth's father.
12. 1912

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
6..SVC has a surface explanation. We can do better as to what leads to greater endurance.

Protein is needed for muscle development (not necessarily bulk), tissue repair, and reducing susceptibility to fatigue. Humans being omnivores have a higher percentage of protein and a higher quality of protein in their diets than herbivores. Ergo better endurance which is maximized by chasing all those herbivores later known as training. Hey, they didn't catch all of them. :)

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
4.. Stand By Me; the Princess Bride

5..Nothing is certain but death and taxes. I'm guessing Mark Twain

6..The human runs on two legs, the herbivore four. This allows the bushman to carry a bow, with which he can "catch up" to the four-leg via an arrow that travels much faster than the herbivore can run.

7. Hillary Clinton?

9..United Nations Education, Scientific, and Cultural Organization

11..They're half-sisters, both daughters of Henry VIII

12..1895?

13..[I'll be impressed if anyone gets this one; I have no idea.]

Reaction Score
1. A film that costs less than 50K to produce
4. Sleepless in Seattle, When Harry Met Sally
5. The only thing certain is death and taxes - Mark Twain
7. Gary Hart
8. 1923
11. Mary was Elizabeth's mother
12. 1925

wire chief

Testmeister
Reaction Score
6...Protein is vital, as SVC states. But protein in a Bushman can be irregular--no recent meat and macadamia nuts not in season.
Twoleggedness is a factor, as Big points out, but even controlling for weaponry, one needs to consider sweating, coats and breathing, when it comes to endurance.

Reaction Score
I meant When Harry Met Sally, because Reiner's mom had the quote of the movie.

Changing my answer here before the deadline. Reiner might have directed Sleepless in Seattle, but I don't know that for sure.

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
6...Protein is vital, as SVC states. But protein in a Bushman can be irregular--no recent meat and macadamia nuts not in season.
Twoleggedness is a factor, as Big points out, but even controlling for weaponry, one needs to consider sweating, coats and breathing, when it comes to endurance.

So sweating, coats, and breathing:
Predators such as wild dogs who practice endurance hunting on four legs in packs cool off by sweating through the the pads on their paws and panting. They have no sweat in their skin. Thus their fur does not inhibit evaporation.
Humans, a mostly hairless type of mammal (ignoring the odd mesomorph), have sweat all over their body for cooling off. The evaporation of the sweat is not encumbered by a coat of fur.
Herbivores also use sweat for cooling although they unlike the hairless biped do have a coat of fur. Even short cropped fur does lessen evaporation and therefore cooling.
So predators, wild dogs and humans, have a better cooling system. They are less inclined to experience a limiting fatigue than herbivores. Ergo predators have greater endurance.

Last edited:

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
Nora Ephron wrote and directed "Sleepless in Seattle." Take it to the bank so says you know who.

wire chief

Testmeister
Reaction Score
13..C'mon, let's impress Big by recalling those Saturday mornings with Buster, Dale and the evil Emperor Ming.

3..Ireland

10..Della Reese hit..."Perhaps I might forget you, but in my heart I know, that I need no reminder to miss you so." Finish this.

Reaction Score
10. I have in mind the opening line . . . " I hear THE SOUND OF MUSIC, my favorite kind of
music, and that reminds me dear of you." Can't put the rest of it together.

wire chief

Testmeister
Reaction Score
10. I have in mind the opening line . . . " I hear THE SOUND OF MUSIC, my favorite kind of
music, and that reminds me dear of you." Can't put the rest of it together.

Apparently without realizing, you have included all the words of the title.

Reaction Score
OK. Then I'd have to guess it's "that reminds me" or maybe "and that reminds me".

wire chief

Testmeister
Reaction Score
1..The designation is Asian for soft core flics.

2..Pinot could also be relied on to know, Dolly on a trolley got a seat, by golly.

3..Celtic Woman

5..Mr. Clemens would probably forego such a statement as not being amusing enough. Go with Ben.

6..To SVC's addition I would add that the herbivore must pant and cannot do so while running.
Its exhaustion includes oxygen starvation.

7..The VAUC Quartet has the ruined politician. Hillary will have to wait, Big.

8..Hoop & ed4; it was 1933.

9..SVC, K9 & Big have it exactly.

11..Yes, half sisters, one Catholic, one Protestant. And Game's dual responses are valid too.

12..Ask ed4 for dates, and he's on the nose. Twice now. Of course, I don't know how that applies to
his experience with women.

13.....say, "Hey Jude"
Les Preludes

We have a Jam to attend to. I shall be subdued.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom