OT: General knowledge test #571A | The Boneyard

OT: General knowledge test #571A

wire chief

Testmeister
Reaction Score
Please don't hit "reply" nor do research or make political statements.

1..Which city is the international base for Freemasons?

2..What hobby do the 4 Lads and O'Kaysions have in common? And song titles?

3..Link Martin Luther King with Izola Curry.

4..Id presbyopia.

5..He(?) hit #511 wins in 1911.

6..Recognized in 1855, it is Europe's youngest capital city.

7..Who just broke Brett Favre's 'record for..?.

8..Who writes the Eve Dallas novels?

9..Earth's deep interior power is known as __________ ______.

10..In 1958 a time capsule earmarked for opening in the 6900's was buried where?

11..From 1941 to 1965 we voted for the prettiest girl out of six. Discuss.

12..Theodor Geisel is better known as..?.

13..In 1860 which state was 3rd in population to NY and Pa?

Last edited:

Bama fan

" As long as you lend a hand"
Reaction Score
2. looking at girls Lads standing on a corner and Okaysions I'm a girl watcher
4. far sightedness
5. Cy Young pitching wins
7. Drew Brees completions
9. magnetic core
11. Miss America finalists
12. Dr Suess
13. Virginia

Reaction Score
5..I think Mel Ott hit 511 HRs but I don't get the 1911 thing

7..Drew Brees ... most completions in a career

13..Virginia ?

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
1. I'm guessing Philadelphia
5. Cy Young
12. Dr. Seuss - from right across the river in Springfield MA
13. Virginia?

Reaction Score
1. Washington DC
2. Girl Watching. I'm A Girl Watcher - Okaysions
5. Cy Young
6. Oslo
12. Dr Seuss
13. Massachusetts

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
1. I don’t believe there is an international base for Freemasons. But I will guess Washington, D.C.

4. Presbyopia is a lessening of the ability to focus on an object. It is typically age related. As we age our lens become less flexible making it more difficult to focus our vision. It can be corrected. Reading glasses for me.

5. Cy Young

7. Drew Brees now has the NFL record for most career pass completions.

8. J. D. Robb pen name of Nora Roberts

9. Primordial heat and also roughly equivalent in power is radiogenic heat. Primordial heat is the residual heat from the formation of Earth. Radiogenic heat emanates from radioactive decay in the Earth's mantle.

10. 6900? Seriously?! Someone is being optimistic that mankind will be around in 6900.

12. Dr. Seuss

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
1..London?

4..The inability to focus on close-up objects. It is generally caused by the aging of the eye

5..Cy Young (nice deception using the word "hit")

6..I'm at a loss for what you mean by "recognized" and "youngest." Pesht and Buda didn't become Budapest until the mid-1800s, so that might be it. Christiania didn't become Oslo until around the turn of the 20th century, so it wasn't "recognized" as the capital of Norway until then.

9..The earth's core is heated by nuclear decay. One might call it spontaneous decay, a giant thermopile, or any number of other terms.

12..Dr Seuss

13..Ohio?

pinotbear

Silly Ol' Bear
Reaction Score
13. Kinda question I like.. although 2/3+ of the US population was in the northern states, I think it's a trick question, insofar as the #3 city in population about that time was New Orleans.. So, first guess is Louisianna, second guess is Georgia, due to high slave population.

wire chief

Testmeister
Reaction Score
6..I messed up. No wonder you are having trouble here. I missed the typo; It is 1955, and as a further hint, it is a capital, yes, but not of an independent nation.

Bama fan

Reaction Score
6..I messed up. No wonder you are having trouble here. I missed the typo; It is 1955, and as a further hint, it is a capital, yes, but not of an independent nation.
No do overs or takesy backsies ! ;) I will guess Brussels, Belgium and the precursor to the EU

Last edited:

wire chief

Testmeister
Reaction Score
No do overs or takesy backsies ! ;) I will guess Brussels, Belgium and the precursor to the EU

You may have a takebacksie, for I wrote that it is not an independent nation. Do you know something about Belgium that we don't?

Bama fan

Reaction Score
You may have a takebacksie, for I wrote that it is not an independent nation. Do you know something about Belgium that we don't?
Got me there , but I was surmising that you meant that the named a capital in 1955 but not of an independent nation was in reference to the city's function as capital of an organization. And not that the city itself was not a capital. But, I do not get a takebacksie either. so I will accept my fate. As always ,these tests are great fun! :)

wire chief

Testmeister
Reaction Score
6..Minke, sei & bryde

9..__________ energy

10...If you get this, I'll start spreading the news.

pinotbear

Silly Ol' Bear
Reaction Score
6. Well, geez...capital that's not quite, 1955, and you give us the names of whale species... dunno, Greenland's capital?

wire chief

Testmeister
Reaction Score
1..Yes, Big...and please console SVC over his blathering ignorance.

2..Bama says, "Hey, you guys, this is MY corner. Go watch somewhere else".

3..MLK wounded by Izola, who stated she was aiming for Meyers, but missed.

4..Weakening of eyes in middle age leading to near vision problems. Four of you are OK here.

5..We have a VAUC Quintet, making me Cy with relief.

6..I gave Pinot a whale of a hint, but he missed the forest for the trees...or something. Big to the rescue.

7..Cajun and SVC are clearest. Bama forgot "career".

8..Nothing wrong, SVC, but would it diminish your manhood to credit the better half?

9..I inserted the term "power" to steer you toward geothermal energy. I failed.

10..Yup, Rocket, NY. I don't understand SVC's worry. Was that the century that cryonics would be releasing you?

11..The beer and the contest faded into oblivion. Drive still looks at the last array of ladies and sobs at his loss.

12..And he often threw green eggs and ham across the river at you-know-who.

13..Well, this one seem to have you spending time thinking. Big emerges.

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
8..Nothing wrong, SVC, but would it diminish your manhood to credit the better half?

When you are hot; you are hot! Mrs. SVC strolled into my office just as I read this question and, yes, she did provide the answer. I just put masking tape over my PC's camera. :)

BTW, Q9's phrasing is too vague. ;)

wire chief

Testmeister
Reaction Score
Did you ever learn that CONSTRUCTIVE criticism includes suggested improvement. Or did you want to remain with those who merely carp?

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
Did you ever learn that CONSTRUCTIVE criticism includes suggested improvement. Or did you want to remain with those who merely carp?

Sorry! I thought it was intuitively obvious to the casual observer.
Earth's deep interior power” Deep interior? Geothermal energy is found in the Earth’s crust. Deep interior would mean the Earth’s core or possibly its mantle but not its crust. Power can mean electrical energy or work or potential for work, or many things. Pairing power with deep interior did not help. It reinforced thoughts of the Earth's - well - deep interior, its core and mantle. Check the other answers.
Bigboote - 9..The earth's core is heated by nuclear decay. One might call it spontaneous decay, a giant thermopile, or any number of other terms.
Wellll … hmmmm … no other answers I wonder why???? :D:rolleyes:

Last edited:

wire chief

Testmeister
Reaction Score
If written again, I'd say, "Electricity derived from the earth's inner heat is known as _________ ______."
...or maybe I skip it altogether.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom