OT: General knowledge test #557A | The Boneyard

OT: General knowledge test #557A

wire chief

Testmeister
Reaction Score
Please no politics, no research, no hitting "reply".

1..The town at the southern end of the Great Smokey Mtn. Railroad?

2..Assassin James Earl Ray was captured where?

3..In the movie THE DEPARTED Freud is erroneously quoted as saying that this nationality(?) is impervious to psychoanalysis.

4.."Upstream Red Team; Red Team upstream. Rah, Rah,_______ Rah."

5..ID Karen Ann Quinlan.

6..The 1st horse to win the Triple Crown?

7..Smsllest country in population to ever qualify for the World Cup?

8..Coldest world capital?

9..She(?) wrote WOODSTOCK but wasn't there to sing it.

10..In what comic is there a character " Thirsty"?

11..This doowop hit ends with the word "you" sung 13 times.

12..Two close places(?) share the origin of the name "Trevor".

13..The Greek god of terror?

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
3. hmmm the Irish?
5. Brain dead woman whose parents wanted to take her off life support. Had to go to court. When they took her off the ventilator she lived another 8-9 years.
7. Iceland. Boom-boom Clap.
9. Joni Mitchell wrote it based on Graham's story/description. CSN&Y covered it (better and much more famous).
10. Thirsty Thurman?? I think it was Hi and Lois.

Reaction Score
1. Pigeon Forge
2. London
3. Austrian
5. I believe she was the comatose/vegetative person whose family wanted to take off life support but was rebuffed by the doctors/hospital/hospice/government. Case went to court, the family won, Ms Quinlan lived for a number of years, then finally passed away.
6. Count Fleet
6. Citation(both guesses which should shame me considering how the triple crown has been in the news)
7. Lichtenstein
8. Oslo, Norway
9. Joni Mitchell
11. Only You - the Platters
12. Edinburgh, Glasgow
13. Thor

dogged1

like a dog with a bone
Reaction Score
Wow, damn near struck out on this one. Lot of tickles no hits. All I got is
8. Greenland, don't know name of capital city
11. "only you and you alone can love me like you do. your my dream come true my one, my only you"

wire chief

Testmeister
Reaction Score
11..Guys, you are far short of 13. and we are looking at the ending only.

dogged1

like a dog with a bone
Reaction Score
Hanging my head in deep chagrin. Total strike out.

wire chief

Testmeister
Reaction Score
Hanging my head in deep chagrin. Total strike out.

Yes, degged, it is always my aim to mire you in the deepest of chagrinedness. Chin up, for B will hearten you!

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
2. London

5. Karen Ann Quinlan was in a coma for something like ten years. She became the subject of a right to die case in the mid-70s. During the trail the definition of life was debated as the basis for justifying taking her off life support. She died from complication due to pneumonia. The debate continues except for a few states which allow euthanasia (Colorado, Pennsylvania, Oregon, Washington, Vermont, D.C., California and …

6. Gallant Fox

10. Hi and Lois

13. Deimos

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
4 - Rutgers, of course. A group of UConn fans made a Rutgers fan club group perform the whole thing "to prove we were real fans" in a restaurant in Hartford for the BE tourney. Not a problem. Obscurely, but worth noting, the chant appears in a fight song titled "The Bells Must Ring".

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
5..Karen Ann Quinlan was declared brain-dead, and her parents wanted to pull the plug. Then the courts got involved. It took years before the plug was pulled.

7..Iceland, and they've done it twice.

8..Ulan Bataar

9..Joni Mitchell. Even if she'd been there, she couldn't have sung it since she hadn't written it yet.

11..I want to say 'You send me" by Sam Cooke.

13..Deimos?

wire chief

Testmeister
Reaction Score
1..If you follow golf, the town is the same as the first name of the Dechambeau player.

6..You have to think that the horse was previously knighted.

12..Tom Jones hails from one. Then U2.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
9..Joni Mitchell. Even if she'd been there, she couldn't have sung it since she hadn't written it yet.
True - I just attended a Return to Woodstock tribute concert. That said, they ended the concert (encore) with "a song that wasn't played there" but "sums it all up".
Started with the Mitchell version (they have a female vocalist who did Grace Slick, Janis Joplin and Joan Baez in this show) and transitioned to the CSNY version (they actually have a whole CSNY tribute show in their repertoire). According to the band, Mitchell was being interviewed on Dick Cavett.

wire chief

Testmeister
Reaction Score
1..Oh,VAUC, Alex would take you to task. Not just for your numbering, but you put the town in the state-that-is-not-not-to-be-mentioned. Bryson is in N.C.

2..VAUC & SVC place him with the rosy red cheeks of the little children.

3..Meyers & Game finger the Emerald Isle. And psychotherapists long ago broke their pickaxes on these 2 posters.

4..Knight's father sent him to ol' Rutgers and resolved that he should be a man.

5..See any of the brain dead Big Quartet.

6..What? You didn't know enough from the hint to put a "Sir" in, Sir Barton, i.e?

7..Meyers & Big looking at a 1-1 tie at the half with Argentina.

8..Game & Big with the Mongolian shivers.

9..The Drive Quartet, with Big getting all technical.

10..Meyers and SVC with noses buried in the classics.

11..Drive knows, now the rest of you will be acquainted. Hey VAUC, the Beatles as a doowop group?????!

12..VAUC poised like a polar bear over a seal breathing hole, just waiting for my hint.

13..Ed4 and his merry men finish us.

Dogged is stranded in Greenland, and Cajun is stuck in an aisle seat. Can anyone help?

Reaction Score
11. They covered a lot of songs before hitting their stride as songwriters, so a lot of their early songs were likely to be influenced by the songs they covered. Plus, I was at a loss coming up with songs that met your criteria. When in doubt, pencil in "C".

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom