OT: General knowledge test #547A | The Boneyard

OT: General knowledge test #547A

wire chief

Testmeister
Reaction Score
Please do not press "reply", nor make political statements nor do research.

1..What species may be of Suri or huacaya fleece?

2..The oldest of the Dead Sea Scrolls is from what century?

3..With 60K shot dead each year, what nation is the world's murder leader.

4..Starting in 2020, Frisco is now the largest city banning the sale of new..?.

5..A tennis player who touches the net loses the point except..?.

6..The whistling score that won a 50's Oscar?

7..In 1997 39 bodies are discovered in Rancho Santa Fe, Ca. Their membership?

8..What holds back the Cary Grant-Deborah Kerr 6-month reunion?

9..ID Oliver Brown of Topeka.

10.."Mother Earth will swallow you. Lay your body down."

11..With 360K employees, it (?) is the 2nd largest bureaucracy.

12..Two before it became Istanbul?

13..Which Arab countries recognize Israel?

pinotbear

Silly Ol' Bear
Reaction Score
6. the Bridge on the River Kwai
11. Department of Veteran Affairs

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
1.. Alpaca: The huacaya alpaca has a thick luxuriantly soft fur not unlike a ragdoll cat. The suri alpaca has long twisted soft curls of fur not unlike the Leicester-long-wool-sheep.

3.. Pick most any country in South America. I’ll pick Honduras. Could be some country in the middle-east but no one keeps count there – too many. A few too many moons ago Roger Ebert, film critic, in the context of a film review was bashing the “violent” USA versus Canada. I emailed him with the facts from the FBI and the RCMP. Canada was much more violent relative to murder and assault. In the winter it gets cold, dark, and drunk. Too my amazement he apparently verified my claim and emailed an apology but no retraction - shame.

4.. Fur coats and such.

5.. A tennis player who touches the net loses the point except when trying to jump over the net to shake hands.

7.. Their membership was Heaven’s Gate. Apparently the aliens no longer made house calls. They drank their own version of the Jonestown Kool-Aid.

9.. Oliver Brown, he of the Brown versus Board of Education Topeka fame in the fifties.

13..Egypt

Last edited:

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
9..The Plaintiff in Brown vs. Board of Education.

11..The VA

12..Byzantium

Reaction Score
8: Kerr's character has a run in with an auto. Maybe a taxi.
12: and Constantinople
13: and Jordan

wire chief

Testmeister
Reaction Score
1.. Alpaca: The huacaya alpaca has a thick luxuriantly soft fur not unlike a ragdoll cat. The suri alpaca has long twisted soft curls of fur not unlike the Leicester-long-wool-sheep.

3.. Pick most any country in South America. I’ll pick Honduras. Could be some country in the middle-east but no one keeps count there – too many. A few too many moons ago Roger Ebert, film critic, in the context of a film review was bashing the “violent” USA versus Canada. I emailed him with the facts from the FBI and the RCMP. Canada was much more violent relative to murder and assault. In the winter it gets cold, dark, and drunk. Too my amazement he apparently verified my claim and emailed an apology but no retraction - shame.

4.. Fur coats and the such.

5.. A tennis player who touches the net loses the point except when trying to jump over the net to shake hands.

7.. Their membership was Heaven’s Gate. Apparently the aliens no longer made house calls. They drank their own version of the Jonestown Kool-Aid.

9.. Oliver Brown, he of the Brown versus Board of Education Topeka fame in the fifties.

13..Egypt

5..Apparently SVC belongs to a league where one soars over the net while a point is in play, with the tactic of confusing the opponent, I guess. I personally have never seen this variation.

Reaction Score
6. Two scores by Dimitri Tiomkin come to mind:

"High Noon" and "The High and the Mighty" (I think I'll go with the latter).

Reaction Score
1. Alpaca
2. 2nd Century AD
3. United States
9. Oliver Brown was the Brown in Brown vs Topeka board of Education, the case under which a number of separate but equal school segregation challenges were eventually brought before the Supreme Court.
11. The Veterans Administration
12. Constantinople and Byzantine
13. Morocco, Egypt

wire chief

Testmeister
Reaction Score
1..SVC, VAUC, & husky may look sheepish, but it's a whole different animal they deal with.

2..The suggestions are too recent; it's 3rd BC.

3..Tall and tan and young and lovely...take it, gang.

4..Yup, SVC, and now you need a new line of business.

5..If the point ends before the player teeters and loses her balance. So, if the ball bounces twice on opponent's court or if opponent returns it out of bounds, you don't lose the point.

6..Husky and pinot are Kwai babies, while ed4 is above us all. If you think that trio whistles to jar your teeth, you should hear them yodel.

7..The 39 were knock, knock, knocking on Heaven's Door, er, Gate. SVC questions their method.

8..Yes, McFly but you (or anyone) could provide the essential detail of the consequence that precluded the reunion.
It seems I'm often after you for sketchiness. Shape up there, fella:D.

9..I'll highlight VAUC's detail. I like relevant detail. Oh, don't pretend you're surprised.

10..It's a 2 minute harmony on the 4 Way Street album. Go.

11..The Pinot quartet gives us the VA. Will our recognition do anything to improve the VA's service? Stay tuned.

12..Big has the correct form of the city--Byzantium.

13..McFly reminds SVC not to do things in a half-assed way.

Reaction Score
8: It's a chick flick. Be surprised (I am) that I admit to knowing anything about it.

Reaction Score
Kerr was hit by car and paralyzed in car accident on the way to the rendezvous wasn’t she?

pinotbear

Silly Ol' Bear
Reaction Score
3. and, when she's walking, the boys all go "duck!", apparently: Brazil

wire chief

Testmeister
Reaction Score
Kerr was hit by car and paralyzed in car accident on the way to the rendezvous wasn’t she?

You betchum, though I'm not sure that the crash happened on the very day of the reunion. The paralysis just involved her legs.

wire chief

Testmeister
Reaction Score
10..Originally recorded by CSN&Y, here's a version where Pink Floyd's David Gilmour join 1/2 of the lads.

Reaction Score
You betchum, though I'm not sure that the crash happened on the very day of the reunion. The paralysis just involved her legs.

This is what wiki says -- "On the day of their rendezvous, Terry, hurrying to reach the Empire State Building, is struck down by a car while crossing a street. Gravely injured, she is rushed to the hospital."

I vaguely remember Grant being pretty nasty to her later in the movie when she's sitting down and for whatever reason not telling him she can't walk. To be honest, I did not like the movie a whole lot even though I usually like Cary Grant movies.

I'll say thumbs down on this one.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
10..Originally recorded by CSN&Y, here's a version where Pink Floyd's David Gilmour join 1/2 of the lads.

Well, thank you sir.

We have a local band called "Five Way Street" that are best known (to me) for their Eagles tribute (its 3 of the 5 plus 2 non-members), but they also have done some other shows as part of the Gaslight Monday Night Concert series, including a Monkey's tribute (also mixed group) and a CSNY tribute show. Their album is a mix of songs by a selection of artists, including the Eagles and CSNY, with a great title - "Greatest Hits - Just not Ours".

And I never knew where the name came from!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom