OT: General knowledge test #545A | The Boneyard

OT: General knowledge test #545A

wire chief

Testmeister
Reaction Score
Please no research, no politics, no hitting "reply".

1..Location and fame of Frenchman Flat?

2..Who's _____ Now? By Connie Francis, then by Journey.

3..TV commercial:
Make sure I have enough towels.
Towels?!

4..In what decade did Congress forbid further import of slaves?

5.."Those happy hours I spent with you; that lovely afterglow."

6..A fungus allied with an algae produces..?.

7..The Decatur Staleys became..?.

8..The Victorian Cross was first awarded in 1856 during what war?

9..Relate the tale that led to "sour grapes".

10..Provide 6 synonyms for "but".

11..What WNBA team has 2 players from Italia?

12..From across the pond come 2 Wallanders, in 2 different languages(?).

13..The Edgar Award is presented by what organization?

Reaction Score
2. Sorry
4. 1830's
6. Chlorophyl
7. The Green Bay Packers
8. 100 Years War
10. However, besides, conversely, still, nevertheless, yet
11. Minnesota Lynx
13. The Poe Society

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
2..Who's sorry Now?

6..Lichen – every year our local Master Gardener program (Penn State Extension) receives numerous calls from concerned gardeners about a disease on their trees. The majority of them describe lichen or send pictures of lichen. A few have a hard time believing their trees are not being damaged by the presence of the lichen.

8.. Crimean War

13.. Mystery Writers of America

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
4. 1830's
7. Chicago Bears Halas coached both
8. Crimean War

Reaction Score
2. Crying
8. Crimean...maybe more
9. Fox and the Grapes (Aesop)
12. Henning Mankell's character Kurt

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
8 - Crimean War
13 - Mystery Writers of America, I believe. That one is a crossword puzzle staple.

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
4. 1809?

Sorry! 1809 is not a decade. Where is your proper detail? Did you not know this is a blue book test? Try again. ;)

His Eminence

Last edited:

wire chief

Testmeister
Reaction Score
1..Military in 1951.

4..SVC being a dingbat. His Eminence never takes one to task for being too specific.

9..And then the same dingbat heaps ill conceived praise on Pony for a response that does not answer the question.
Where is the tale that explains "sour"?

3..This is said to the now disgraced Steve Wynn at his Vegas hotel. The speaker?

12..Well, yes, he is Kurt, and I will be curt to demand the 2 languages.

2..Then we have a gaggle of posters, who only know one of the 2 songs and fail to say which song goes
with which artist. It's no wonder I must do lots of drugs.

And which one of you has kidnapped Bigboote?

Reaction Score
9..And then the same dingbat heaps ill conceived praise on Pony for a response that does not answer the question.
Where is the tale that explains "sour"?
upload_2018-4-5_15-3-33.png

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
[when I tried to respond last night the board was having issues. I haven't peeked.]

1..Nevada, A-bomb test site.

4..1830's

6..A really slippery front stoop for those of us living on wooded plots

7..Chicago Bears

8..Crimean War

10..yet, however, nevertheless . . .

12..These were detective books. They were made into a few series by the BBC with Colin Firth. Presumably they were also made into series or movies in the original (Swedish, Norwegian?)

13..Mystery Writers of America

Reaction Score
2. I assumed from the way it's phrased that it was the same song, performed by Connie, then by Journey, who or whatever that is. You can't seriously expect anyone familiar with Connie Francis to know or care about Journey, can you?

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
2. I assumed from the way it's phrased that it was the same song, performed by Connie, then by Journey, who or whatever that is. You can't seriously expect anyone familiar with Connie Francis to know or care about Journey, can you?

Yeah, His Eminence's phrasing leaving much to be desired. Give him a break he does sip a bit while concocting these quizzes. :oops::(

wire chief

Testmeister
Reaction Score
1..The explosive Big is heard all the way to central Florida.

2..Well, another chance to remind all that "assume" makes an ass out of u. McFly, I think not. More like McStumble.
I am not alone in knowing both Ms. Francis and Journey, so SVC's pale attempt to make an ass out of me backfires
on his constipated self.

3..Sinatra

4..Ed4, a more serious chap than one I can name, is merely 2 years too late.
Methinks some of you confused the event with the decade that Britain made the slave trade illegal.

5..McFly owns up to knowing more than one song.

6..SVC, who shares near-identical DNA with lichen, plants his crop.

7..Meyers and Big score a TD.

8..K9 leads a bushel load with the Crimean War.

9..Technically, Pony, you presented "research". If you knew the answer, you could have given it to us in a concise sentence all your own.

10..VAUC gives the impression he could have gone on and on. Am I to believe the rest of you are a calamity
among English speakers?
BTW a synonym can be a phrase also. One could use "On the other hand" or "That said" e.g.

11..VAUC again showing his affection for the Lynx...or maybe just Italian women.

12..Swedish originally, then in English with Kenneth Branagh. Big is close, but he never mastered telling British actors apart,
which is why he was transported to America.

13..Knights, Big and SVC are Writers in America who solved the Mystery.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score

I'm with Chief on this one. I'm not crazy about Journey's popular stuff (I do like their earlier albums), but you can't deny their success. They were inducted into the RnR hall of fame last year based on an online public vote, so obviously quite a few people have heard of them. If you're of the Connie Francis generation, there's no reason you can't listen to later music. I grew up in the 60's and listen to Duke Ellington and Robert Johnson as well as All Them Witches and Somali Yacht Club (both bands launched in the 2010's).

By the way, Gregg Rolie was a founding member of both Santana and Journey. He's one of the few multiple inductees to the RnR HoF. (I just had to get a bit of trivia into my post.)

Reaction Score
5..McFly owns up to knowing more than one song.

Yes, but they are both from the same era. After which I grew up, outgrowing, among other things, the music of my youth, as I assumed (there's that word again) I was supposed to do. And the really dumb part, that others would too. Which really does make an ass out of me.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
2..Then we have a gaggle of posters, who only know one of the 2 songs and fail to say which song goes
with which artist. It's no wonder I must do lots of drugs.
If you are asking who is crying, that would be Jamie.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom