OT: General Knowledge Test #541A | The Boneyard

OT: General Knowledge Test #541A

wire chief

Testmeister
Reaction Score
While you await Sunday, this is a far, far better thing you do than you have done before.
That is, if you avoid politics, do no research, and don't press "reply ".

1..The Prez who signs the bill to institute the Fed Reserve System?

2..What was called Operation Overlord?

3..An opera presented in 1951 written for TV(Amahl and...)

4..Pope John _____ calls a 1962 convocation called..?

5..Recently one Div 1 Univ. became the only to have a black man as Athletic director, BB coach and football coach.

6..We come to visit, not to stay. Please wash and return us every day.

7..The Beatles' 1967 failed film?

8..Donald Trump hosted no state dinner for a visiting leader in his first year. The last Prez with that distinction?

9..What was of world wide interest in the Brit monarchy in 1936?

10..Darwin's floating dog?

11..In 1904 James Barrie stages what play?

12..JB(?) sings of DIAMONDS AND RUST.

13..In 1949 Queen Juliana cedes __________ independence.

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
1.. President Woodrow Wilson

2.. Battle of Normandy

4.. Vatican Council II

7.. Magical Mystery Tour

9.. Edward VIII's abdication

10.. H.M.S. Beagle

pinotbear

Silly Ol' Bear
Reaction Score
11. Peter Pan
12. Joan Baez
13. The Netherlands

Reaction Score
2. the seaborne invasion of Normandy
3. Amahl and the night visitors
4. XXIII . . . Vatican Council II
13. Indonesia

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
1..Wilson

3..Amahl and the Night Visitors by Giancarlo Menotti

4..XXII

7..Magical Mystery Tour. I see it's available on DVD now; I've looked several times and come up dry. Thanks, Chief!

10..The Beagle

11..Peter Pan

12..Joan Baez. First song of any significance she wrote, largely about her relationship with Dylan.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
2 - The D-Day Invasion
3 - Amahl and the Night Visitors
4 - Pope John XXIII
9 - Death of George V (may have been in 1935); Abdication of Edward VIII; George VI becomes king
10 - HMS Beagle
12 - Joan Baez. J

Reaction Score
2. Battle of Normandy
9. Edward's marriage to Wallis Simpson and resulting abdication
11. Peter Pan

wire chief

Testmeister
Reaction Score
1..It's Dennis the Menace' neighbor, swear SVC & Big.

2..The ed4 quartet revive the greatest generation.

3..Ed4, Mis, Big & Knights were Night Visitors until the Vice Squad took them in.

4..SVC & Big never mastered their Roman numerals. Why, Big puts the Council back in the 14th C. We can't have that.

5..Hint: until Clemson's recent football emergence, they were usually the big cheese of the ACC.

6..Back in the 50's milk is delivered to your doorsteps with these etched words on the glass bottles.

7..There goes my high estimate of Big, the collector of truly awful flics.

8..Hint: No flapper he, but it was his era.

9..Knights, K9, & SVC report the Royals with egg on their faces. Turned out for the best, for imagine how WW2 would have played out
with that Hitler toady on the throne.

10..Big & Knights offer the HMS Snoopy, with no Red Baron in sight.

11..Pinot, Big & K9 are all urchins who never grew up.

12..Hey Big, did I ask for an editorial? That's my job. For example, I declare Joan's upbeat version of SIMPLE TWIST OF FATE as the very best song on the album. (Sorry young uns, I can't bring myself to write, "On the vinyl". My God!)

13..Trust Pinot to misinterpret the question. He needs to confine himself to inquiries about wildlife. Ed4 will soon send him a PM with the correction.

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
12..Hey Big, did I ask for an editorial? That's my job.

Yikes! Can't keep the Bishop happy. First he wants quantity. When he gets it, he gives Big gas about elaboration. Some people! ;)

For example, I declare Joan's upbeat version of SIMPLE TWIST OF FATE as the very best song on the album.

Keep in mind this praise comes from a person who ACTUALLY believes Bob Dylan can sing. Just how much ear wax makes that possible? :D

Last edited:

wire chief

Testmeister
Reaction Score
12..Hey Big, did I ask for an editorial? That's my job.

Yikes! Can't keep the Bishop happy. First he wants quantity. When he gets it, he gives Big gas about elaboration. Some people! ;)

For example, I declare Joan's upbeat version of SIMPLE TWIST OF FATE as the very best song on the album.

Keep in mind this praise comes from a person who ACTUALLY believes Bob Dylan can sing. Just how much ear wax makes that possible? :D

Yeah. well, what's he doing that sold 100 million units? Yodeling? You should really let Ms SVC have the final word about whether what you write should ever see the light of day.:cool:

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
Yeah. well, what's he doing that sold 100 million units? Yodeling? You should really let Ms SVC have the final word about whether what you write should ever see the light of day.:cool:

There is no accounting for bad taste. Besides 100M units are claimed but only 40M are certified. The fact is Boobie could/can not sing. David Bowie famously described Dylan's distinctive, creaky warble as "sand and glue. "Dylan's voice has gotten noticeably worse over the years too, making his 21st century concerts nearly unbearable: "On a good day, he sounds like a chain-smoking blues man celebrating his 100th birthday. On a bad day, he sounds like a bullfrog gargling broken glass, Vanity Fair's Mike Hogan eloquently complained." Dylan actually sings in tune but his harsh, barbed-wire timbre & attacking delivery has been inspiration for every tone deaf poet with a guitar. So what makes Dylan great? His songwriting, of course. And his ballads are best when presented as poetry — or when someone else is singing them. ;)

wire chief

Testmeister
Reaction Score
There is no accounting for bad taste. Besides 100M units are claimed but only 40M are certified. The fact is Boobie could/can not sing. David Bowie famously described Dylan's distinctive, creaky warble as "sand and glue. "Dylan's voice has gotten noticeably worse over the years too, making his 21st century concerts nearly unbearable: "On a good day, he sounds like a chain-smoking blues man celebrating his 100th birthday. On a bad day, he sounds like a bullfrog gargling broken glass, Vanity Fair's Mike Hogan eloquently complained." Dylan actually sings in tune but his harsh, barbed-wire timbre & attacking delivery has been inspiration for every tone deaf poet with a guitar. So what makes Dylan great? His songwriting, of course. And his ballads are best when presented as poetry — or when someone else is singing them. ;)

Only 40 M certified. Jeez, what a piker. Sure there are critics, sitting on a mountain of envy. Where's their Nobels?
In case you haven't noticed, singing pretty much ended in the 50's. That's why we stopped calling them crooners.
Many recordings are mixed to put the frontman or woman in the background, while the guitar, drums and synthesizer wail away.
To listen to Dylan, even in the 21stC, is to take the listeners' past experience, so the brain modulates the harshness, cause, well, it is DYLAN.
Like DT, we will never have the like of him again. I give your argument the raspberry.:p

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
I'm with Chief, and it has nothing to do with units sold. You don't have to have a great or even a good voice to be a good or even a great singer. Dylan is the most famous example. He is capable of expressing a wide range of emotions -- Don't Think Twice it's Alright is tender, Joey is sad, and Hurricane is angry. You don't need to listen to the words, the singinging pretty much tells you the story.

Tom Waits is another great example. His voice is very flexible, too. He sounds halfway decent singing Ol' 55 or Heart of Saturday Night. Christmas Card from a Hooker in Minneapolis or A Soldier's Things are downright tearjerkers. Martha is full of longing. And lest you think he just writes what he sings well, have a listen to Somewhere, from West Side Story. It's WAY better than the original from the show.

I will also put in a good word for some modern music. There's been an awful lot of good music made in the past 40, some of it even popular. Most of what I listen to is from the 60's and 70's, but I listen to a lot of art metal from this century. Check out After Forever or Nightwish. Evanescence isn't as artistic as those two, but have been hugely popular. All popular music isn't the overproduced manufactured stuff even though that's the majority.

Last edited:

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
Only 40 M certified. Jeez, what a piker. See that's what I thought. Glad we agree! :cool: Sure there are critics, sitting on a mountain of envy. Where's their Nobels? Where is Einstein's Nobel prize for his Special and General theories of Relativity? Those Swedes they like to play favorites. By the way Dylan's Nobel prize was for literature not music! See my comment about poetry. :cool:
In case you haven't noticed, singing pretty much ended in the 50's. That's why we stopped calling them crooners. I agree! Singing's demise coincided with the emergence of Dylan. :cool:
Many recordings are mixed to put the frontman or woman in the background, while the guitar, drums and synthesizer wail away.
To listen to Dylan, even in the 21stC, is to take the listeners' past experience, so the brain modulates the harshness, cause, well, it is DYLAN. Yeah ... not!
Like DT, we will never have the like of him again. I give your argument the raspberry.:p I and the Nobel committee give your argument a lingonberry. :p:rolleyes:

Reaction Score
1..George Washington
3. Amahl and the night Visitors
4 Pope John XXIII, ???
5. Florida State
6. Deposit soda bottles
7. Sgt Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band
8. Harry S Truman
9. King Edward abdicating the British throne to marry Wallis Simpson
13. Curacao

wire chief

Testmeister
Reaction Score
1..George Washington
3. Amahl and the night Visitors
4 Pope John XXIII, ???
5. Florida State
6. Deposit soda bottles
7. Sgt Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band
8. Harry S Truman
9. King Edward abdicating the British throne to marry Wallis Simpson
13. Curacao

You alone provided Fl St.

wire chief

Testmeister
Reaction Score
Only 40 M certified. Jeez, what a piker. See that's what I thought. Glad we agree! :cool: Sure there are critics, sitting on a mountain of envy. Where's their Nobels? Where is Einstein's Nobel prize for his Special and General theories of Relativity? Those Swedes they like to play favorites. By the way Dylan's Nobel prize was for literature not music! See my comment about poetry. :cool:
In case you haven't noticed, singing pretty much ended in the 50's. That's why we stopped calling them crooners. I agree! Singing's demise coincided with the emergence of Dylan. :cool:
To listen to Dylan, even in the 21stC, is to take the listeners' past experience, so the brain modulates the harshness, cause, well, it is DYLAN. Yeah ... not!
Like DT, we will never have the like of him again. I give your argument the raspberry.:p I and the Nobel committee give your argument a lingonberry. :p:rolleyes:

I must conclude you have given me nothing to which to respond.
This is consistent with most of your previous ramblings.
Nonetheless. I look forward to future test answers that Ms. ghost writer SVC contributes.:)

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom