OT: General knowledge test #233A | The Boneyard

OT: General knowledge test #233A

Status
Not open for further replies.

wire chief

Testmeister
Reaction Score
Tampa Bay is not yet looking like it will stymie the hated Cowboys. So as halftime approaches,
I will ask you not to reprint questions nor do research.

1..Laurie R. King is producing novels that sustain our interest in a famous literary character(?).

2..The Mamluk Sultanate (1250-1517) ruled in territory of 2 modern-day countries(?).

3..The #1 killer of U.S. Latinos?

4..What did Ed Ames have to say about his drinking vessel?

5..Identify Paolo Gabriele and explain why he is in the news.

6..Greg Shiano ignites a controversy. Explain.

7..Back in the '20's it was the Columbia __________ Broadcast System.

8..At what ages did he have 3 very good years?

9..George Gobel would introduce his show's regular songstress as, "Pretty, perky _____ ____".

10..This Thomas Wolfe novel's title remains as a common piece of wisdom today.

11.."Letters, we get letters; we get stacks & stacks of letters."

12..Catalonians seem to be joining the consciousness of folks in Quebec & the Northern League.
Explain.

13..What pinnacle is available for Manuel Cabrera?

pinotbear

Silly Ol' Bear
Reaction Score
4. "My cup runneth over with love"
8. 17, 25,..31?

Reaction Score
2. Dubai and Brunei
3. High blood Pressure
6. By not conceding the game when the Giants went into the closing game victory formation. FWIW, I applaud him.
7. Radio
8. 17, ???, ???
13. First MLB triple crown since The Yaz in 1967.

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score
2. Egypt and portions of several other countries.
3. US Latinos
7. Radio?
8. 17-21-35 Sinatra
12. Semi autonomy

Reaction Score
1. Sherlock Holmes
4. My CUp Runneth Over
7. Phonograph
9. Peggy King
11. Perry Como

geordi

Patriotism is the last refuge of a scoundrel
Reaction Score
1. Sherlock Holmes
5. He's the Pope's butler that was just arrested for theft.
6. Schiano had his defense knock down the quarterback even though the game was essentially over.
9. Peggy King.
11 Damn! I can hear the song. It came from an old tv show...variety show...but I can't remember who.
13. Triple Crown

rbny1

Gotham Husky Fanatic
Reaction Score
11. "Dear Perry, would you be so kind, to fill a request and sing the song I like best?" - Perry Como TV show.

wire chief

Testmeister
Reaction Score
So, let's bring this to a close.

1..Best & geordi cite Sherlock Holmes. The author focuses on a marriage to Mary that has the couple like, um, Nick and Nora Charles?

2..Do not be fooled by VTC, who would splinter the Sultanate all over the place. Ed4 & Wikipedia have Egypt & Syria. I go with that.

3..Cancer

4..Ed had a song--My Cup Runneth Over With Love. Pinot & Best know.

5..Pope's butler acting as a source of leaks. Credit to geordi.

6..VAUC & geordi offer that the Bucs coach would not let Eli take a knee in peace.

7..Phonograph--Good for Best.

8..When I was 17...21...35. All 3 has VTC.

9..Peggy King...and like George said, she was pretty...though more subdued than perky. Best & geordi.

10..You Can't Go Home Again.

11..Ah, rbny, music to my aging ears. Best too has the Perry Como Show.

12..Like VTC says, looking for semi-autonomy.

13..He could earn baseball's triple crown, as VAUC & geordi point out.

JRRRJ

Chief Didacticist
Reaction Score
2. This seems problematic, since modern-day Egypt and Syria are not adjacent.

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score
My "several countries" response was also from a modern day perspective. I believe WC is correct in that at the time of the Mamluk Sultantate, Egypt and Syria were neighbors.

wire chief

Testmeister
Reaction Score
Gosh, JR, you wouldn't believe how many things in this world are problematic. More seriously, it may take a researcher
a good bit of time to trace how it happened. It could mean nothing more than colonialism.

JRRRJ

Chief Didacticist
Reaction Score
Gosh, JR, you wouldn't believe how many things in this world are problematic. More seriously, it may take a researcher
a good bit of time to trace how it happened. It could mean nothing more than colonialism.

Now that I look, Wikipedia says the Egyptian Mameluke Sultanate (as opposed to the Indian version) ruled in "Egypt, the Levant and Hejaz" in the time period you specify. And you did specify modern-day countries. Unfortunately, that leaves us with more than 2, since Hejaz is in modern-day Saudia Arabia and the Levant includes most of Lebanon, Syria, Jordan, Israel, Palestinian Territories, Cyprus and part of Turkey.

I think you may need to reconsider & award the answer to VTC.

How's that for problematic? ;)

wire chief

Testmeister
Reaction Score
Well, JR, your research is commendable, but, see VTC changed his answer, and I don't want to befuddle, bewitch, & blaspheme the ragged fellow that he is. Now this has always been a group endeavor, so his, yours & Mrs. Calabash' contibutions all count toward our edifying enterprise.
Still the Wikepedia I examined gave me a confirmation of Egypt/Syria. Too facile, perhaps.

JRRRJ

Chief Didacticist
Reaction Score
Well, JR, your research is commendable, but, see VTC changed his answer, and I don't want to befuddle, bewitch, & blaspheme the ragged fellow that he is. Now this has always been a group endeavor, so his, yours & Mrs. Calabash' contibutions all count toward our edifying enterprise.
Still the Wikepedia I examined gave me a confirmation of Egypt/Syria. Too facile, perhaps.

Not to facile, just not modern-day. One of the references I checked said that the Levant comprised the area previously known as Greater Syria, and sometimes included the northern Sinai. It didn't mention when that was, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom