OT: G League to offer $125K to elite prospects as alternative to college 1-and-done route | Page 3 | The Boneyard

OT: G League to offer $125K to elite prospects as alternative to college 1-and-done route

Reaction Score
Don’t underestimate the number of kids who don’t want to even bother sitting in class or doing any school work. I think a spot on a high profile team is worth more than 125 but the kids won;t see it that way. All they will see is immediate money in their pockets. And I don’t buy the jokes about schools paying these kids now that the spotlight is on.

Reaction Score
Don’t underestimate the number of kids who don’t want to even bother sitting in class or doing any school work. I think a spot on a high profile team is worth more than 125 but the kids won;t see it that way. All they will see is immediate money in their pockets. And I don’t buy the jokes about schools paying these kids now that the spotlight is on.
What's a high profile G league team? Right now I'm not sure there is such a thing, but maybe folks in G-league markets can testify to popularity? However if the G-league gets top-10 rated kids from a class they can certainly turn the league into a media presence. Then you'll be correct that those kids* as the major attraction will be worth a lot more than 125K, but they will be getting atleast that in value from coaching staff & facilities (same argument College makes absent the classroom learning & Gleague probably will have some basic life skills tutoring).

* I.e. Bronny in 5 years.

crazyUCfan23

Long live the Civil ConFLiCT
Reaction Score
Does Lamelo Ball register as an "elite" prospect?

Reaction Score

I've mentioned this same exact thing before. It's like minor league baseball. They will have to pay for housing, training facilities won't be comparable, travel sucks, you'll be playing in middling cities, you won't have a meal plan and will be paying for your own meals and then taxes and you don't get the free clothes/ merchandise/perks of college. In addition you aren't the big man on campus/a star and you're playing against grown men who are more seasoned and want that NBA contract.

These high schoolers are oblivious to how well they have it at the college level

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
I've mentioned this same exact thing before. It's like minor league baseball. They will have to pay for housing, training facilities won't be comparable, travel sucks, you'll be playing in middling cities, you won't have a meal plan and will be paying for your own meals and then taxes and you don't get the free clothes/ merchandise/perks of college. In addition you aren't the big man on campus/a star and you're playing against grown men who are more seasoned and want that NBA contract.

These high schoolers are oblivious to how well they have it at the college level

You're not wrong about most, but G Leaguers do received $50 per diem on the road for food. And obviously paid hotels etc.

I think the G League contract would only appeal to certain guys. Daniel Hamilton, for instance, would likely have taken this route if given the chance.

Reaction Score

"My concern comes back to I want to know what happens to the kids that you've encouraged not to go to college if they fail," he said Sunday via the Louisville Courier-Journal. "What are you going to do for them? That's my whole thing. What is it going to do to 8th and 9th and 10th graders? Are you going to have a whole wave of those kids that think, 'I don't need school I'm going to go to the G league.'"

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
It ain't just the $125k. Kids could take this option. Play a year at Cuse, or make 1 million dollars. Your call.

Reaction Score
It ain't just the $125k. Kids could take this option. Play a year at Cuse, or make 1 million dollars. Your call.

And Bazley is a kid who initially planned on going D League until he realized he wasn't going to be able to compete at the level with his body. The sponsorship will be the real money if any of these high end kids decide to skip college.

Reaction Score
What's a high profile G league team? Right now I'm not sure there is such a thing, but maybe folks in G-league markets can testify to popularity? However if the G-league gets top-10 rated kids from a class they can certainly turn the league into a media presence. Then you'll be correct that those kids* as the major attraction will be worth a lot more than 125K, but they will be getting atleast that in value from coaching staff & facilities (same argument College makes absent the classroom learning & Gleague probably will have some basic life skills tutoring).

* I.e. Bronny in 5 years.
You misunderstand, I meant a high profile college team gives them more monetary value.

Reaction Score
You misunderstand, I meant a high profile college team gives them more monetary value.
Ah gotcha - true IF you are the man for that team like Jason Tatum or fatso at Dook this year. But at Kentucky that ain't guaranteed and you are fighting it out with 5 other guys for that role. 20% of the time its worth more than 125K, but rest of the time its not and you and up being the inferior Harrison brother.

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
I saw a tweet the other day that said this plan also included lodging. That’s 125k without having to pay for road meals or lodging. And no classes. Kids who were thinking about Europe are better off staying here now.

Reaction Score
Darius Miles wrote something in the Player Tribune the other day about his experience coming straight from the hood with a childhood of being surrounded around poverty, drugs, and violence to the NBA and how crazy it was, the lifestyle change, all of the things he didn't know and wasn't ready for, etc. It was an interesting read but he made it clear that era is over.

However, the majority of top 10 kids who could potentially go from high school (keep in mind this usually means a prep school they live at) to the NBA now are kids that have had personal trainers since they were in grade school, had at least one parent that was a D1 or professional athlete, and are from middle class families at the least.

It some ways it is sad, but the reality is that the Lebron James, Wade, Melo era was the last era of the top nba prospects being kids from poverty. Basketball is no longer a sport for poor kids from the inner cities at the highest levels. There are still many kids that fit this description who are good enough to get D1 scholarships, which is great, but the top kids simply had better resources and regimen (obviously with some exceptions) along with the genetics.

Just let kids go straight from high school to the nba. Most of the kids that have that option will make the right decision.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom