OT: G League to offer $125K to elite prospects as alternative to college 1-and-done route | The Boneyard

OT: G League to offer $125K to elite prospects as alternative to college 1-and-done route

Reaction Score
Don't think we'll see decommits yet but there will absolutely be kids taking this come the summer. Especially with the FBI investigation and hopefully some sanctions coming out.

Reaction Score
Kind of makes recruiting muddy for high prospects. But it’s better than it is now.

Reaction Score
Are the players in this league responsible for any of their expenses, like healthcare, insurance, lodging, transportation, meals, etc... I know they don't have an NBA budget, but it would make a difference in the cost benefit.

Parent(s) are involved in the decision and many value education as well, if not more than athletics. The G league should offer online degree programs or something similar in continuing education, if they will be a true college alternative. Or a path to an Associates Degree, although basically meaningless, it does reduce the number of credits for a Bachelors Degree later.

I see pros and cons, but mainly pros for the NCAA athletics in getting back to producing good armature products.

For the athlete an injury could mean no basketball future, no education and no marketable work skills. Would also be terrible if they barely had the grades to get recruited as an athlete, and wouldn't qualify if not for that. Also would suck to be in G League for 3-4 years then a 4 year college star player like Jalen Adams gets drafted and immediately plays in the NBA on the team that 'owns' your G league team. Jalen will make a million instantly (after graduation or 3 years of college) while the G League player is still making $100k after 4 years. Not to mention player trades that occur affecting the G Leaguer's chances of being called up or coaching/management changes.

Will be interesting to see how this works out.

Reaction Score
Are the players in this league responsible for any of their expenses, like healthcare, insurance, lodging, transportation, meals, etc... I know they don't have an NBA budget, but it would make a difference in the cost benefit.

Parent(s) are involved in the decision and many value education as well, if not more than athletics. The G league should offer online degree programs or something similar in continuing education, if they will be a true college alternative. Or a path to an Associates Degree, although basically meaningless, it does reduce the number of credits for a Bachelors Degree later.

I see pros and cons, but mainly pros for the NCAA athletics in getting back to producing good armature products.

For the athlete an injury could mean no basketball future, no education and no marketable work skills. Would also be terrible if they barely had the grades to get recruited as an athlete, and wouldn't qualify if not for that. Also would suck to be in G League for 3-4 years then a 4 year college star player like Jalen Adams gets drafted and immediately plays in the NBA on the team that 'owns' your G league team. Jalen will make a million instantly (after graduation or 3 years of college) while the G League player is still making $100k after 4 years. Not to mention player trades that occur affecting the G Leaguer's chances of being called up or coaching/management changes.

This is good for a kid like Daniel Hamilton who clearly didn't want to go to college

Reaction Score

"Academic scholarships with partner universities." Not sure what that means.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
We need to get into a P5 conference so bad before the prices on 5* recruits elevates way out of our price range. Only the P5 programs will be able to afford beating G-League and International cash offers and they'll leave everyone else in the dust.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
"Academic scholarships with partner universities." Not sure what that means.
I think it's WYSIWG. I believe Northeastern has a program for athletes that didn't graduate. Perhaps that would be a partner.

Reaction Score
This is going to have an impact. 125K is real money and you don't have to hide it or take in-kind. Plus you unlock advertising & promo opportunities. Kids can start that in high school now and become Stitch or Youtube stars or whatever the kids watch these days.
Paradoxically for the biggest 'star' kids you are still better off going to UConn or Dook or Kentucky and building your brand there on national TV. But after top 5, I'd say next top-12 or so are better off taking the 125K plus investing purely in their basketball development.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score

All that stuff is provided for iirc, except for lodging/meals at home. Lodging on the road is obviously taken care of. I think they get per diem on the road.

This doesn't apply to everybody. It's for elite prospects who would be spending 1, maybe 2, years in college with as minimal coursework as possible. Education is not the focus here. And it can be taken care of at anytime with their first contract money.

For the athlete an injury could mean no basketball future, no education and no marketable work skills.

I'm certain most can get insurance policies paid on future contract money. And let's face it, if you have the money and can pay full freight, most colleges will take in an instant.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
Only thing this accomplishes is driving up the cost of the borderline 5* kids to colleges.

True, but it does help keep kids in school longer. Those borderline 5stars aren't likely to be ready to jump after year 1.

Reaction Score
RE: Insurance policies - not sure what the specifics are and who can get them, if companies are taking no payment from college kids but just an advance on potential future earnings, the rates must be astronomically high.

If the $125K crowd pays cash for their policy they are likely to get a much better deal. Bottom line of course in sports is everyday you don't have a long-term contract is an injury risk - and kind of like life if you can't perform you don't get paid the windfall money. This is true even if you are in the NBA. Ask Isaiah Thomas.

Reaction Score
We need to get into a P5 conference so bad before the prices on 5* recruits elevates way out of our price range. Only the P5 programs will be able to afford beating G-League and International cash offers and they'll leave everyone else in the dust.

Lol @Dooley please tell me this is tougne in cheek

intlzncster

Reaction Score
RE: Insurance policies - not sure what the specifics are and who can get them, if companies are taking no payment from college kids but just an advance on potential future earnings, the rates must be astronomically high.

If the $125K crowd pays cash for their policy they are likely to get a much better deal. Bottom line of course in sports is everyday you don't have a long-term contract is an injury risk - and kind of like life if you can't perform you don't get paid the windfall money. This is true even if you are in the NBA. Ask Isaiah Thomas.

I'd imagine they wouldn't be huge (NBA huge) policies anyway. $1-2 mil.

intlzncster

Reaction Score

Honestly Bazley's whole situation makes me question his mentality. Is he just soft? NBA guys probably wondering the same thing.

Reaction Score
G League to offer alternative to NCAA 1-and-done

If this is true and works out, might see the end of all the one and done's hopefully.. Think UK, Duke, etc. will have some of their guys thinking of de-committing now? Would like nothing more than to see Cal lose his guys with little to no time to regroup..

Just for those that haven't read too much about the program (and there still seems to be a lot of details to be worked out), this isn't starting until the 2019-2020 season, so you won't see guys like Zion, Quickley, etc. leaving Duke and Kentucky all of sudden. It's the next recruiting class: guys like Cole Anthony, James Wiseman, Isaiah Stewart, Precious Achiuwa, etc. that could end up opting for this when it's all said and done.

Reaction Score
I'd imagine they wouldn't be huge (NBA huge) policies anyway. $1-2 mil.
Sure, but if you figure 1/20 kids does get injured you'd want a one-year premium >50 Grand to make money. Add in some risk for players that don't make the NBA therefore won't have the 50K to retroactively pay the policy and suddenly the cost might be 100K for 1M of insurance. If you are already selected as an elite player for one of 15 NBA $125K G-League contracts & getting extra training the risk of making the NBA is drastically reduced. That insurance policy is prob 25% of whatever the college kid's 1M policy costs.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom